Sell me on Sparks

daniello_s

I want to pick some stuff for my Gremlins and thinking about Sparks but can't really find a good job for him in my crews.

Sure he could stand next to Pigapult to make her Fast every turn but is there a point to invest 7SS only for this purpose? (kidding).

Anyway, I just wonder if you can share with me your experience with Sparks I would be more than obliged ;)

He depends a lot on what you're facing. If you know that you'll be up against Colette or something, then he's pretty nice. But unless you can know that you'll be facing someone where Hostile Work Environment is going to be golden, then he isn't all that super. Fast is nice but you need to get something else from him. He isn't horrid but 7SS...

• Like 2

I think he could be alright, taking a list with bayou gremlins, and Burt may not be bad. You get a dumbluck trigger on the bayou shooting to possibly kill himself, he drops a scrap instead of a corpse, fuel Sparks for turning burt into a Robotic Green Terminator with 4 AP. May not be the most effecient way to spend AP. Also he adds blast to moderate and severe, could be a thing

Joel in his zipp thread said he used him a couple of times with an iron skeeter so that they would give fast to each other (mainly fort the purpose of scheeming). I tried that a couple of times and it's not bad in interference/stake a claim. But aside from it, I never used him, and for the same cost you simply pick François and deal even more damages than a fast pigapult.

Giving out fast as a (0) action is nice, but he's going to have to do better then that in the long run.  He's clearly more of a support piece who rather badly wants to be near the action given how amazing Hostile Work Environment is.  His other 0 action to give out armor and maybe pushes is also really nice, I wonder if Wind 'em Up ends up being a bit of a trap to focus on given our relative lack of constructs.

Anyone tried using his Packed with Explosives to make Wong 2/3:blast:blast:blast/5:blast:blast:blast:blast or Somer 4/4:blast:blast/8:blast:blast:blast?

I do know at least he's a great counter pick into Ressers.   Hostile work environment shuts down a VERY large number of their masters.

3 hours ago, Rosskov said:

I still hope one day he will get an upgrade that allows him to make bayous into survivors #he'll be back.

When a bayou gremlin is reduced to 0 wounds within 3" sparks may take a Ca5 TN 16(crow) flip. if successful summon a survivor into base contact with the bayou gremlin before removing it. A Bayou gremlin used to summon a survivor does not count for any strats and schemes and does not leave a corpse marker.

...Gremlin machine apocalypse incoming

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

If this model kills a friendly Gremlin, Summon a Survivor into base to base contact with it before removing?

Entirely on point.

An alternative would be to give Sparks an upgrade similar to Show Off that allowed friendly Gremlins in LoS to self destruct assimilate and summon a Survivor into base contact before removing. It would almost tempt me to convert a Survivor into a kneeling position inside a glowing blue sphere but I realise I am now mixing my science fiction metaphors.

Also, your suggestion is what I was aiming at. It would mean both Sparks and Survivors would see a lot more play.

• Like 3

I like @Eorek idea, but would like it to be a bit more general.

Ability 

We have the technology: Once per turn when another friendly gremlin minion is reduced to 0 wounds within :aura3 this model can immediately take the (1) I'll be back action

Tactical Action

(1) I'll be back (Ca 5 / TN: * / RG 6)

Target friendly Gremlin minion or enforcer below half wounds. The TN of this action is 8:tome plus the Soulstone cost of the target friendly model. Summon a survivor in base contact with target friendly model, then sacrifice the target friendly model. Target friendly model does not drop any markers or count as being killed for any strategy or schemes. 

So this way you can recycle nearly dead models (with a bit more selection) and on Sparks turn give them fast still to counter the summon slow. 

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2017 at 4:46 PM, daniello_s said:

Sure he could stand next to Pigapult to make her Fast every turn but is there a point to invest 7SS only for this purpose? (kidding).

I mean, thats not a bad thing.... I was able to take care of Nicco on turn one, activation one because of it (flipping a red joker for damage might have happened)

But seriously, Sparks is quickly becoming one of my favorite henchmen.  The ability to manipulate constructs is hilarious, having a nimble, fast, glowy Whiskey Golem (shutup, dont judge me) is always entertaining.  Plus, marching sparks up with the golem will often put a number of bruisers and heavys in the hostile work environment, always a good thing.

He is not for everyday use, but If you are planning on taking any number of constructs or the like, I would highly recommend him.

• Like 1

I'm currently pondering a list involving Wong, glowey Lazarus, Sparks, Porkchop, and a few survivors to give Sparks something else to do (I'm painting them now, and like hell they're going directly from the painting table to the shelf).  Sparks and the survivors tested together, so in theory they're "at their best" together?

My suspicion is that I'm basically building Spark's dream team, but at the very least it should be good for a giggle.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

He is decent in one situation imo. The issue is you need to build around him and it’s not like the list is amazing anyways. Basically it’s Zipp, Earl, sparks, Lazarus with do over, and an iron skeeter with hovering airship. You make Zipp rambling diatribe one of your models to make your hand better and get a scrap marker. Then Zipp does his thing. Earl uses it to make all construct + to attack and then sparks makes Lazarus fast. Laz can now shoot up to 5 times with positive flips to attack (one being a piano). The iron skeeter can also take two piano shots with positives. So even in hard cover it’s a ton of min three damage.

The issue is that the weakest part of this combo is sparks. And he would be better served as a Burt or franc since the list misses the extra damage. 

Declared Faction: Gremlins 
Crew Name:  50ss 
Leader: Zipp - Cache:(4)
   Rambling Diatribe 1ss 
   The Dread Pirate Zipp 1ss 
   The Gift Of Gab 1ss 
Earl Burns 3ss 
Sparks 7ss 
Francois LaCroix 7ss 
Iron Skeeter 6ss 
   Hovering Airship 1ss (0)
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 
Bayou Gremlin 3ss 
Lazarus 10ss 
   Do Over 1ss 

Tbh he would be so much more playable if his metal plating was till end of the game and had a Tn 14 or 15. Right now I can’t justify building around him because the effect isn’t all that great since the resources required are so freaking intensive. (Scrap + 2x 6+ + :tome)

I like to shoot a bayou to the enemies on the End of Turn 1, then unburry Zipp there and Turn 2 give that blast Buff to pere ravage and shoot him sonewhere near Zipp. Use any moodswing to get nasivly s chain activation into Zipp and throw pere into the enemies with severe blast and Walk Trigger and do it again. This can destroy a lot. 

I only play Ulix in Gremlins, so I can't say much about Sparks and other models. What Sparks need to work are scrap markers though, and these might be hard to find turn one without killing a (friendly) model. He does have the Mecha-pig for that - and luckily, it works fine with Ulix. The thing is, if I don't have a spot for both of them, I often don't take either. 

But Mechapig combos well with Penelope, which will give it +1 walk, so that's 7". If you also make it fast with Sparks, that's 21" movement in one turn. And Ulix can hitch a ride. So if that is helpful in a scheme, why not? 

Also, making models like Gracie fast is nice, plus handing out armour (which also reduces damage from the Hog Whisperer's reactivate, I believe).