The Hoff: Beyond the box

BaronGreenback

Hi all,

I have expanded my Lucius by getting the Hoff box to get the hunter, watcher and guardian. 

I have already got two wardens, Ryle and a Peacekeeper.

What other constructs work well with Hoff? Is it necessary to get a second box to get double hunter, watcher and guardian options?, is Rail Golem needed? 

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hi,

Two watchers and hunters are very nice, so I would definitely consider buying them.

Guardians give mixed opinions. I know @PanzerHarris plays with two of them. I rarely field mine even in Hoff crews.

I would strongly consider The Emissary or Hoffman Avatar, mobile toolkit from arcanists and probably the Ramos box for Howard and Joss

• Like 1

You get two hunters in his box.

Apart from that, the people above me see to have very solid suggestions.

A second watcher would be very nice but I don't see why you would need a second guardian really, for just a couple of stones more you can get some really solid beaters.

I'd recommend getting hold of another Watcher. I have 4 of the metal models as they were easier to get hold of when I was building the crew! 

Also, Steam Arachnid Swarms. The Schemes and Stones spotlight on Hoffman features @Khyodee waxing lyrical on the little critters and I have to admit I'm a convert. Ml7 with Overwhelm is hilariously brutal. Ht1 big hitter is a thing. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, trikk said:

Hi,

Two watchers and hunters are very nice, so I would definitely consider buying them.

Guardians give mixed opinions. I know @PanzerHarris plays with two of them. I rarely field mine even in Hoff crews.

I would strongly consider The Emissary or Hoffman Avatar, mobile toolkit from arcanists and probably the Ramos box for Howard and Joss

Thanks,

Can you use the hoffman avatar? Or would that be restricted to campaign games? 

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

You get two hunters in his box.

Apart from that, the people above me see to have very solid suggestions.

A second watcher would be very nice but I don't see why you would need a second guardian really, for just a couple of stones more you can get some really solid beaters.

If this is true then great. I wont buy a second box just to get a double hoffman, extra guard and watcher... easier to look for another watcher...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaronGreenback said:

Thanks,

Can you use the hoffman avatar? Or would that be restricted to campaign games? 

The Avatar model is an allowed proxy for the Brutal Emissary in normal game, but you will have to source the cards yourself. Otherwise you're right it is only campaign games. 

55 minutes ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

The Ramos box is your best bet for multiple good models. Joss, Howard, and swarms are all great. Even a single spider is a quick little scheme runner. 

If you're maxing out Arcanists Assests then a Metal Gamin is a good buy. Now you're on the dirty road of Arcanists, stay golden. 

What I liked about Hoff box was all the minion constructs could be used by Lucius... once I start on Ramos, then I own an Arcanist master, and as I already have Zoraida and a load of Gremlins, I am already straddling... and ghostbusters taught us to never cross the streams. I need to keep my eye on the prize.... the only non-guild I may be tempted into is Rail Golem, just because it is an awesome mega mini to buff Hoff...

If you want to skip Ramos, go for the Mobile Toolkit. Guardian is not that good with Lucius as it can`t be targeted by Commanding presence.

Hunters are very good but I think there are better uses for Watcher than a Lucius list.

As for Proxies:

The old Avatar models can be used as Emissaries of their factions.

Proxies depend on your meta or Event organizer but there are guidelines in Gaining Grounds 2016 available on the wyrd page in Community -> Resources -> Organized Play

The Ramos boxset is a good buy,  it gets you Joss and Howard, two very deadly models and steam arachnids which can make a swarm which is a good model. 

Metal gamin are a decent buy due to giving the hoff ca 8 and being good targets to give slow for a fast hoff. 

Large arachnids are amazing,  being able to eat schemes for + flips and dropping scrap when they kill stuff. 

Rail golem is amazing with Hoffman, it's weakness is is bad stats,  which the hoff fixes. 

Mobile toolkit is a good support piece.

• Like 1

I have renewed appreciation for the metal gamin against debuffers. So you've put me on negative flips? *flip three, three, two* Want to explain why I should care, or should we just move on? Oh, and machine puppet. :PStill adore the mobile toolkit. Haven't gotten anything tasty to happen with Hoffman and a large arachnid yet but the potential is still there, just need to remember to seed a scheme marker first. I don't have a rail golem but with owning Ryle, peacekeeper, and Howard Langston I haven't missed it. There's always some other construct willing to eat the tomes in hand.

(Someday, some sweet day, I will find the most giant and disturbing of giant stompybots again...)

• Like 2

From what it sounds like, you have everything you need (since you don't want to get too much Arcanists stuff).  I'd get the Brutal Emissary and call it good at that point.

I'm still looking for a single metal gamin since I don't need all three.  Gadzooks doesn't have them, anyone here have a spare they'd like to sell me? :)

Don't over do the whole construct thing.  Even with OSA, Hoffman has a limited sphere of Influence.  Generally I would recommend a construct beater and a back up (Peacekeeper and Ryle are sufficient for this) and what you need to soup them up.  

Don't forget Hoffman can hire living models, and some of them definitely merit consideration-

Sidir : Promises and field mechanic...

Johan(a) : Condition removal based on rams, just be careful as it will dispel power loop as well!  Hoffman's crew in general eats tomes like crazy for triggers.  Johan also benefits MS&U which can have some real overlap especially with arcanist assets.

Austringers are also really good, in any crew.

Independent models like the Pathfinder are also useful as they can operate away from Hoffman and accomplish schemes farther away from the action.

The point is, don't feel constrained to take only hulking metal constructs with Hoffman.  You won't be able to buff them all at once, and having some living models to cover your constructs weaknesses, or make them even more powerful!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozymandias79 said:

I'm still looking for a single metal gamin since I don't need all three.  Gadzooks doesn't have them, anyone here have a spare they'd like to sell me? :)

I only got my hands on someone's spare after a full year of just missing out on sales. I proxied with a Reaper clockwork mini we had on hand and the card. (I do have two surplus post-errata cards for some reason--you and another can send me a PM, I'll mail them out.)

I want to second the Rail Golem and Steam Arachnid Swarms with Hoffman.  The swarms are disgustingly good at ML7, hit hard and with the ability to eat scrap markers (which Hoffman can make plenty of) they can easily stay above the limit for strength in numbers getting that plus to damage.  Plus the pulse to remove scheme markers can be just filthy.  

Here's my vote for the Large Arachnid.  If you find yourself in a position where Hoffman needs to do his own fighting, use Tap Power to make Hoff fast, Power Loop your Guardian, then cast OSA on the Arachnid to steal Artificial Limb.  Assuming your target is already in melee with you, you now have three attacks at Ml 7, 3/4/6 damage, and :+fate to attack and damage.

It's situational, but also hilarious.  :P

• Like 3