How did you pick your first master?

Astrella

My eye was first drawn to Nicodem solely because of his model pulling a zombie up right in front of him. Then I read about him and got even more drawn to him in terms of his play style. I picked up Seamus as a second Resser master because I just liked the idea of having a representation of Jack The Ripper on the table.

In contrast, I picked up Ophelia on the Gremlin side because the idea of Gremlin Ortegas amused me. I've got a Zipp box pre-ordered at my LGS just because of the sheer hilarity of everything about his box. 

I am a huge Deadlands fan.

So when I was looking at all the Masters, having decided to start playing:

"Wait, there is a Huckster-flavored Master, with a side of Doc Holliday? Wait, he can hit for how much damage if set up properly? Wait, he has magical drug-addicts that are tanky as hell and hit like a truck for minions? Wait, his totem is a respawnable nightmare? And magic drug hookers? And ability names like 'Final Debt', 'Play For Blood', and '52 Card Pickup'?"

..and so it was Jakob Lynch became my first master.

No matter the game, I tend towards clever sideways tactics over bashing faces because I find it more fun. So I wanted Colette as my first master, but didn't want to wait several months as my roommate had already gotten So'mer (He picked because he likes silly fun factions, used to play 40k Orks, and also likes versatility when starting a new game). So, unwilling to wait, I picked up Brewmaster, who is also clever and sideways, albeit in completely different ways than Colette.

Somehow, my roommate and I are still friends 

• Like 2

Initially intended to pick up Zoraida for a voodoo themed warband for a game from "the-company-which-shall-not-be-named" found a free gift inside limited edition "miss-pack" this sparked my curiosity so I ordered the rule book and a Seamus box.
Read the book front to back and immediately ordered book 2 and 3 (this was still 1.5) and got a von schill crew to give us additional learning options, pushed two friends into the game and sold my soul to the swamp hag (still one of my favorite and most potent masters).
Picked up Gremlins due to pigs (fat reference-weight loss motivational) and Lucius (because of historical clothing)  20 masters and 6 factions later......

• Like 2

I played a pbp and the GM was talking about Malifaux. I never played miniature games, but had been considering it for a while. I started to do research (the forum, pullmyfinger wikia, etc.).

Honestly, it was a hard choice. I had some money coming, so I knew I could have a good start. Rezzers, Neverborn, and Outcasts (Hamelin and Levi) were the top ones I was considering. I didn't know who I would pick up until I got into the store. Ultimately, I picked Molly for fluff reasons (running Molly in 1.5, that was a good time), Seamus to give Molly some Belles, and Lynch for style and fluff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2015 at 9:41 AM, Absolution Black said:

Lol, just realised I played Warmachine too..and my favourite (and first) master in that was a blindfolded sword wielding bringer of justice too (Harbinger)..... weird.

huh, I played war machine as well, and discovered I apparently have a thing for gun mages. Makes sense that Perdita was my first master in Malifaux.

I was really into Japanese folklore a while back, probably something to do with playing a lot of Masamune Rebirth and just a general love of Sengoku era Japan stuff and was considering starting Buishido but I moved away from anyone who plays many games for job purposes.

Best friend from home: I started playing Malifaux, it's really good.

Me: I'll have a look. If I like the look of anything I'll start a wee crew for when I'm home.

And that's the story of how I bought Kirai and the rest of the Resser faction and currently half of the Outcasts while having no one to play against.

5 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Similar to @Boomstick, I play sideways. My buddy who was already playing for a while recommended the Brewmaster because of the way in which Brewmaster plays and how I play other wargames. I was already attracted to the aesthetic of the Arcanists, which prompted me to pick up Ironsides as my second master.

I was wondering why every time I see you comment on something before I get to it I wonder if I've been typing out thoughts before I've thought them and posted under a different name. Now I know!

• Like 1