GenCon is Over!

As someone who went, shopped, and volunteered, here's what I have to say about my experience:

I had a head start on looking at the book due to the volunteer party, and was able to play an entire game of Darkness Comes Rattling, thanks to Aaron!  The players and I got to clarify a few things with Aaron (since he did was the lead on the game).  No new figs to look at but was able to go through Shifting Loyalties before actually buying the book.

Booth experience: Whiskey Golem is fabulous as usual, with a nice touch of a Coryphee at the other end of the booth.  SHOPPING BASKETS.  I cannot emphasize that enough.  There was a guy in front of me in line with a Privateer Press bag FILLED TO THE TOP (he must have had an enormous budget).  Henchmen/women working that first day were awesome, grabbing items for people in line and keeping the line moving smoothly.  As this was my first GenCon, it's nice to have everything labeled by faction as well as having the book on every shelf.  The question is: what other models could Wyrd produce to take the place of the Whiskey Golem?  

Volunteer experience: I lost count on the number of demos I did, for people who had no idea what they were doing, but that's what the new 2-player starter is for.  It's for learning from the ground up, instead of being given a group of models and having a good portion of the rules thrown at you.  Even the first part of the manual for the starter says to go basic, and to teach the core mechanic of Malifaux - flipping and cheating fate.  Learning combat is, I feel, the best way to experience that mechanic.  So, in all my demos, I taught basic combat to incorporate the core mechanic.  

I loved the demo tables; people would walk by and take photos.  I demoed on the gothic building table (I referred to the other table as the train table with the purple worm).  My only disappointment with the table I used was that whoever had used that table in the earlier shift had left quite a mess - figures and fate decks and stat cards everywhere.  My first demo was not as good as my later ones because nothing was organized.  It also happened to have 2 starter sets.  So, after my first demo, I cleaned it up, so anyone else who would demo at the table wouldn't have to pull their hair out trying to locate models/fate decks/stat cards.  

Overall, I'd do it again!  I don't know how many shifts I'd work (definitely not on a Thursday because that is strictly a shopping day).  Got comments on the shirts, since we stood out vs. volunteers for other companies that just seemed to blend in with the booth and the general crowd.

ONE QUESTION: Why did the Wyrd booth charge sales tax?  Other booths I bought stuff at did not.  Just out of curiosity.  

• Like 1

ONE QUESTION: Why did the Wyrd booth charge sales tax?  Other booths I bought stuff at did not.  Just out of curiosity.  

Not so much an answer to this but an observation--a lot of the smaller companies were just rolling the sales tax into the total price of the sales to make things easier for everyone involved, makes it kind of like a con "special price" when you knock off that extra 7% that tax would add.

• Like 1

I had a blast running demos and running RPG events for Wyrd. My bad for distracting the Saturday TOs ^_^

I absolutely adore the multi-pose mini. I only got one, but that level of changability is AWESOME.

Personal preference: I wouldn't have made the booth demo terrain quite so vertical in order to differentiate it from "Legit" vertical games like Deadzone, but beyond that I didn't notice any issues.

• Like 1

Makes sense. For one booth I shopped at, a model cost $22.99, but they rounded it to the nearest dollar to $23.  I had calculated my budget for Wyrd product based on the price they had listed in their newsletter, not including tax, so I couldn't buy everything I wanted.  I was hoping to get the Effigies as prize support, but I was already running low on funds by friday evening. =(

Volunteering was awesome this year. I'm glad I had a chance to come and work with everyone.

Definitely adding my vote for baskets. I didn't have a ton of stuff, but I watched other people carry massive piles of product rather precariously.

Thank you thank you to everyone who came to my Through the Breach games this year. I hope everyone had fun. :)

I was actually going to make a thread about this but decided I didn't care enough... but now that there is already one... ;)

Before I start, I'd like to preface by saying that I don't filter my thoughts in any way and I speak plainly and blunt... here is a friendly smiley face so you know I'm not upset about anything and this is all intended to be constructive: :D

Prepare yourself for non-sugarcoated bluntness...

First of all,

The Good:

- Wyrd Booth was one of the top 5 at the entire convention hands down - my second favorite, personally. You guys put so much work into it and it shows - everyone was really helpful and despite being super busy, Eric even stopped to shoot the shit with me for a bit and helped me on a damaged return. Although shopping baskets would be cool, I just used my Gen Con bag - its all good. I honestly can't think of a single complaint about the booth no matter how hard I try. It was one of the best designed and most impressive ones there. All of the employees and henchmen were nice and helpful. Displays, tables, and props plus the layout was facilitating. It was seriously 10/10, no lies.

Oh wait! I have one complaint - 95% of the displayed models were unpainted! Better get on that Wyrd! ;)

- "The Chicago Crew" - Not Wyrd related but just wanted to give a shout out that, particularly Bret and Joe, are super cool dudes - lots of good strat talk and helpful tips. Awesome group of fellahs - perhaps the best Malifaux players in the world right now? (no pressure ;) ).

The Bad:

The "Tournament Scene" - okay, I'll explain:

- No painting or best appearence award or any hobby recognition at all, really - this is pretty unexcusable. Miniature gaming is one half gaming and one half hobby at the bare minimum - without the hobby you are just playing a board game without a board. Pretty disappointing, but to be fair, I knew this ahead of time so I wasn't shocked or disappointed when it turned out to be the case.

- Um, well... the tournament structure and support... in general?... (chill the flames until you read this whole point ;) ).

If you can recall - when the format was announced there was a minor shitstorm about the silly format combination. I was one of the few who actually said I'd be openminded and give it a shot before making conclusions - and I did. I can honeslty say that I would have had a better Gen Con experience if I wouldn't have done any Malifaux gaming. If I recall correctly, the idea was they didn't want to have super serious competitive Malifaux at Gen Con. The problem is, once you put "First", "Second", "Third", "Best" or whatever, you immediately turn it into competitive play - I thought this, and I was not surprised to see a lot of others who did too. So if you can imagine, you have a good chunk of reasonably serious gamers playing "non-serious" though still tiered Malifaux, trying to qualify for Avatars. Soooooooooo... basically the format did not end up appealing to anyone at all because it took some unintentional middle ground - You have to take "non-serious" games seriously to try and get into Avatars which created a lot of problems.

Someone already mentioned the discrepancies in judge rulings - I played both HH's and both Enforcer Brawls (well, most of the rounds anyway ;) ) and my tables were pretty frequently at odds about how things worked because they were told to deploy this way or that or that you could bring a merc in as a different faction and about 5 other different points, or whatever. It got to the point were I just had a "do whatever we want to do" attitude and threw some cards around not really caring. These formats are fun but I really think they should be kept "pick-up game" or "midnight madness" style... I came to the convention to play serious, full point, sanctioned Malifaux games because I hardly ever get access to those... not games I could rummage together pretty easily with a buddy and be done quickly. Come Saturday, I was pretty unenthusiastic about even playing (no hobby component didn't help either).

This actually translates pretty well into a positive point though - I came focused on playing Malifaux because I didn't think the Gen Con consumer focus would appeal to me that great but because of how little I enjoyed the tournament, I focused more effort on the convention and I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed the convention (and surprisingly the night-life... especially when you are able to meet up with some of the locals :) ). Gen Con itself was way crazier and more awesome than I expected.

This isn't to say that the TO's sucked or anything... everyone was really nice (especially Dawn - very nice lady) and all that... and all (most? ;) ) of the players who were there were great people. I think I actually talked with the Malifaux players about Malifaux more than I actually played Malifaux. Great players - I just didn't like the gaming, at all. This comes from the stance of comparing my gaming experience at Adepticon (which I thought was awesome). I thought it was also strange how a lot of the people there, who I knew were some of the best Malifaux players - didn't even make it to the Finals (Like Chicago Joe and... well... I'm looking at at least one of you Brits! ;) )

- Also... no story encounter or achievement league... hmph.

- Also, also... no trophies or plaques (maybe for Avatars? Not sure - didn't stay to see) - prize support is cool but recognition is better.

I'm not 100% sure that most people didn't like the format but I am at least 50% because I talked to many people more privately and I wasn't hearing too much positivity. To me, it seemed like people (and we are talking the same faces... It isn't like the structure actually got a bunch of different people playing) were only playing the formats because those were the ones offered... not because they actually wanted to. I ended up getting a demo of dreadball and dreadball extreme so to "have fun games" I found people to play those instead (who let me play weith their stuff, no less) as well as some Blood Bowl going on. From now on, I think I'll keep my Malifaux serious at cons and look elsewhere for "fun games."

TL;DR? 

If the format stays the same, I wouldn't be interested in playing. I would like to see a singlular of each: HH, Story Encounter, Gaining Grounds + an achievement league at Gen Con next year. Dubs or extras could be added as "midnight madness" or "iron" tournaments, just my opinion... food for thought.

And Finally...

The WTF?!?!

- I'm the kind of person who can overcome major stressful situation with ease but fixates on the triviality of little tiny inconveniences. Suffice to say, I have accumulated a distinguished list of pet peeves... just when I thought I found everything in the world that grinds my gears, I found a new one...

...picking flock and loose basing material off my minis.

The game boards sure looked great but I would have really appreciated a little less wow factor and a little more cleanliness. I had loose basing all over my cards, minis and case (how?!?! Grrrrrrr...). Saturday at 5 I was starting to flip shit. ;)

Side note: The tables were definently very nice looking but I'd like to see an emphasis on playability in place of looks. Many times I had to tell my opponent(s) "Okay, so my model is actually here but I'm not putting it there because if it tips over I'm going to lose my shit." Many times I made a decision to not go somewhere because I knew I didn't want to put my model on it, instead of for a tactical reason (like all those big giant loose grassy patches /rage).

Also, I know its all about having tons of terrain in Malifaux but some of those boards were ridiculous (70%+ coverage?). There were two in particular where an entire group of 6 people just said "screw it lets play on another board" because we didn't want to deal with how unplayable or unaccessible it was. I'd like to stress that it wasn't for a "that board looks hard" reason it was for a "that board just doesn't look fun" reason.

Here is another smiley face to make sure you know this is still all in good spirit: :D (Ugh... I feel like an Elcor from Mass Effect).

Okay, I'm done.

• Like 3

The points you bring out are all valid, the issue with the community at large is tournaments are run in a "funzie" element. Where ruling and discrepencies are left for players to bicker over. Things like Gaining Grounds documents that outline how a tournament should be run are constantly broken by the TO's themselves. Most of them chose to not confront rule breakers and enable them to enact what ever they want with the game.

This is indeed bad for the game in the long run as the game is beaing catered to SUUUPer casual that buy only handfull of products and try to run "fluff lists". On the other hand, players that spend hundreads of $ to buy an entire faction for the choices it gives in playing tournaments are left to deal with less then structured events. Slowly alienating them from the fantastic gaming system.

I wish the best of luck to malifaux as I have been and still am supporting it and plaing it every week. But I do not see this game ever reaching levels of infinity popularity who should be way behind it. This is mainly due to tournaments being run improperly and prizes being raffled off at random instead of aworded to players based on ranking (who deserve it).

• Like 1

I realize there are some practical limitations, and perhaps good reasons not to, but as it is my field, I always wonder why a good amount of the venders never avail themselves of display and or theatrical lighting to make their booths stand out from their competitors. Even without spending a ton of money some LED tape and some template fixtures or intelligent lighting, even on the low end of the market, could really make the booth pop. I also realize it's probably written into the agreements for the booth space, but Ive seen some theatrical fixtures used, badly, to light some of the displays at gen con the last few times I went, so I always wondered. the booth looked great from a design stand point, I just really wish someone like me got a chance to work their magic on it. ;)

• Like 1

Store was great. Retail staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Booth was gorgeous. The life-size models are an excellent touch. Models look great, and the way they were displayed really effective. The return of newly painted models is greatly appreciated, and I really hope it continues.

The events were incredibly well-run, and the volunteering henchman were friendly, helpful, and efficient. Demo'd Darkness Come Rattling, and that was also a very positive experience.

The event selection/style was kind of lacking. I understand there are substantial limitations on space and volunteers. The event came off as caught between casual and competitive, I think because all events were Avatar qualifiers. Personally, if Nova is going to be the Malifaux NA championship, it might make sense to remove the GG competition from Gencon entirely. The people I noticed  being the most disappointed with events were those trying to qualify through non-GG format events, due to the very limited space in the one GG event. Hardcore and EB are great fun, but they are incredibly imbalanced, especially EB, essentially a lottery. Fine for just kicking around and having fun. Understandably frustrating as a vehicle for qualifying for entry into the Avatar. In the past, Story Encounters and Achievement Leagues have been incredibly effective events encouraging easy-going, casual play, which is great for the Gencon environment, which isn't really conducive to highly competitive events anyway.

Many thanks to the Wyrd staff, who were awesomely available and up for shop-talk at all hours, and incredibly friendly, to Wyrd as a whole for a really fantastic con experience, to the Henchmen and other volunteers for putting in hours of selfless, brain-melting, exhausting work, and most especially, to the Malifaux community, for being so welcoming and generally awesome.

This was my first gencon and I had a great time. I thought the Tables were great really drew a lot of traffic over as I was playing. Having the demo tables right next to the playing space made it very easy to encourage people to go over and give the game a try. 

The enforcer Brawl was a lot of fun and a great social event. I loved that on Thursday evening I got to play against and meet 9 people in around 3 hours. That being said don't think that it needed to be a qualifier for masters, and I'm glad Joe is considering keeping it as a non-qualifier for next year.

The Henchman Hardcore was a fun format, I liked playing in it and enjoyed most of my games, but thought there could be a better way to generate pairings for each round. I think that it being a qualifier was a great way to get people playing in the event and trying a new thing.

The Masters was really well done. The number of rounds and round times made it a great event for a convention setting. The prize support for the Top 4 was nice. I like the idea of raffling off prizes after the top players got stuff, but would like to see actual tickets next year. I wouldn't mind seeing another 50ss but I don't think it is necessary as there were open spots on the day of with only one tournament. I know given all the other stuff going on I wouldn't register for 2-50ss tourneys.

Having print outs of the format documents was a nice touch made it easy to settle minor confusion without needing to call a judge. some basic sound amplification would be really good for calling out pairings.

The sales booth was really nice and had plenty of people to answer questions whenever I was over there.

Lastly thanks to everyone who volunteered there time you guys made the convention a great experience.

• Like 1

It sounds like GenCon was lots of fun. 

As a person who was unable to make it:

• The webstore was very easy to use. I especially liked how the bonus model was automatically added into your cart and acknowledged. That minimized any odd anxiety about it being forgotten, or that I missed something.
  • I would have liked to have seen more official Wyrd reporting, esp battle reports from the top tables. CF Joe was posting pics on Twitter (thanks!), but for some of those games, more detailed reports would be great to see.

GenCon is always a little awkward from a tournament standpoint for hobby games.  It's great for all those games without a tournament scene, but for a lot of people its a little hard to spend GenCon in a tournament when there's so much else to do.

Personally, when it comes to GenCon I think ramping up casual play similar to the Iron Arena PP runs is what really makes GenCon a springboard to grow the game, but its also important to maintain the prestige of the major competitive event so that winning GenCon remains a carrot for the competitive crowd.  I'm definitely in favor of keeping the championship focused on the Gaining Grounds 50 SS kind of event as long as its able to sustain itself that way.  At the same time, all the other stuff, in particular quicker events people can jump into really serve to attract a growing community.

I thought the displays were a little more cramped than last year.  Maybe you could turn them a bit at an angle to give more room?  You know, like parked cars.  The way it was, it was extremely tight and difficult to see anything if there was already just 1 person looking at 1 shelf. That 1 person, basically took up 2 shelves cause they were so tight.  Maybe put those display terrain boards somewhere else? In the demo area?

Loved to see the whole collection of mini's on display. But they really need to be painted.  I know this was addressed in the past, but seriously.  .  .  I'd even sign up to help for free if you ever decide to ask for help from the community to complete this task.

Loved to see the whole collection of mini's on display. But they really need to be painted.  I know this was addressed in the past, but seriously.  .  .  I'd even sign up to help for free if you ever decide to ask for help from the community to complete this task.

This is something I've heard from several non-Malifaux players. Quite a few comments about how disappointing it was to see so many unpainted models on display.

• Like 1