Komainu

Stany

Hi guys Komainu anybody running them? I'm playing Yan Lo and only so far ran him as restrictionist and never used them I loved themed crews so with tosh' upgrade to get them out I got some resin old stone figs that look great for them want to run some! How have people found them what do they do well? All round tactics for them really cheers guys

They're great. Pretty simple really. Remember that they attack Wp....so if you really want something dead, have Yin hit it with that spell that gives  :-fate to all Ca and Wp duels, then let the Komainu go to town on it.

When around Toshiro they really shine with the Melee  :+fate from his buff.....but being near any Ancestor gives them the  :tome  for their Ml attacks so they can hit their Triggers. Their (0) action is a place, so you can get some big movement out of it by placing them on the opposite side of a model.

• Like 2

Agreed. To me they seem a little over the line in what they can do, personally. They look like fantastic hires, to me, but maybe it's because I'm looking at them through the pairing with Ancestor lens.

Yeah, most of my crews have AT LEAST one Ancestor in them, so I'm not giving anything up by taking them together. Komainu have a solid stat line, so I think hiring one and having Toshiro around to resummon it in case it dies will be a good investment of stones.

I don't think they're over the line....just solid....I think they're pretty comparable to the counterpart you will often see them with, the Ashigaru....they just perform a bit differently.

When I play Yan Lo I certainly hire them at the start depending on what I need in my crew. If I need to hold a spot I'll take Ashigaru, but if I need some more movement I'll take Komainu. It also depends on what I'll be facing....if I think I'll be facing Constructs, I may not start with Komainu and I'll have Toshiro summon them....if I think I'll be facing Living or Undead I'll take Komainu just to make sure I have Scrap Counters to summon them if they die....and if they don't die, Toshiro can summon Ashigaru from the Corpses.

• Like 1

A friend of mine likes to run one or two Komainu when he's using Yin. Yin's ability to give negative flips to WP lets the Komainu hit very reliably, and since they target WP they can bypass quite a few DF triggers that would give other models a hard time. 

I initially felt the same way, hoping that they would appear more traditional, however I am really glad that they decided to go in a less traditional and more mechanical look to them.  I certainly think it will be more fitting in a Mei Fang crew, and helps to keep the 10T a more unique looking line when compared to other Asian themed game  systems/lines.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd post this in a thread that already exists, even though it's a couple months old. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on the komainu (1) tactical action? The action itself only lasts for one of their attacks before it gets ended and it actually needs line of sight because the effect is an aura even though the description says it does not need line of sight. I'm not sure if that wording is expressly for people that use cast actions to lie down markers that block line of sight, or what. It just seems like a situation in which it would be more worthwhile to postpone the attack would be rare. There may be that rare situation where it is deemed better to walk once and do this against something that can flurry, for example, instead of just walking to engage. But most things that can flurry don't have cast actions, or those actions can be cast at range. Any insights and this action?

One thing to consider is if there's a particular dangerous caster (say, Rasputina or Kaeris) and an Ancestor nearby, you could attack them once to give them Slow and then use Guard the Soul. That way, they're Slow when they activate and have a good chance of getting Slow again for their next turn due to the free attack. Again, kind of a corner case; I don't use it often, but I don't mind having it available for occasional use.

One thing to consider is if there's a particular dangerous caster (say, Rasputina or Kaeris) and an Ancestor nearby, you could attack them once to give them Slow and then use Guard the Soul. That way, they're Slow when they activate and have a good chance of getting Slow again for their next turn due to the free attack. Again, kind of a corner case; I don't use it often, but I don't mind having it available for occasional use.

Slow is removed at the end of the activation so getting Slow during the activation does nothing, p 52.

Guard the Soul kind of give them 6" range for their :melee attack, so if they only have 1 AP left and nothing else to do they can put it on. It can also act as a mild charge deterrent against models with Ca  :melee , which granted there isn't an awful lot of. Overall I think the Action is corner case enough to border on waste of space. :P

Slow is removed at the beginning of the next activation in which case they will generate 1 less AP. Getting slow during an activation will only impact the model the next time it activates.

D.

Actually no. Slow gets removed at the end of the activation. Always. P. 53, big rulebook, explicitly says that gaining Slow during an activation doesn't impede a model at all.

It can also act as a mild charge deterrent against models with Ca  :melee , which granted there isn't an awful lot of.

Death Marshaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals..........

Death Marshaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals..........

If a Death Marshal buries a guarding Komainu with Pine Box, can it Attack back from out of the void due to not needing range or LoS? Buried (p 47) doesn't seem to forbid Actions, it just says you never have LoS or range, so I'm guessing that it could. Thoughts?