Rail Golem.... light him up..

madaxeman

OK, title says it all really. The big, ugly, expensive and irritatingly binary (awesome or crap) Rail Golem does better if he's burning a lot... but how to up the burning count on him without him suffering too much damage in the process? 

And do you buff his defence too - it seems a bit thin on its own

and what upgrade to use on him...?

Burning is not the typical restriction on him, its 4+ :tome .

I normally find that on turn 2 I have burning 2, and if I use his normal AP to get into combat, his 2 burning will get me enough attacks from locomotion (keep using his trigger on Ml to gain extra burning) and normally with the bonus damage.

His armor +2 normally keeps him about for a while, but be ware of enemies that ignore his armor.

I don't buff defense, but metal gamin are popular with other people.

My favoured upgrade is Imbued energies. that extra AP on the right turn gets him that extra move or attack when needed.

Of course if you are using Locomotion to move him about, then you might want extra burning. I  almost always use it fpr the ml attacks as the bonus damage is what really makes him brutal.

Of course, the best way to add burning without damage is probably the Unuion Miner with his Sh attack. use a low :ram  from the Rail golem for extra burning

• 4 weeks later...

I've found that I usually want 3 Burning on him for turn 2. Generally I'm able to get 2 attacks from Locomotion, which means that second one is missing the +2 Damage.

Having said that, I haven't deliberately applied Burning to him for a long time. On a model that's probably going to kill whatever it looks at, missing 2 additional damage is a really low priority. :P Just saying, ideally 3 on turn 2.

Though with grab and drop you could end up accidentally removing the whole condition. Just means you have to use it that turn I guess...

True but there is something to be said about flying a Rail Golem over an enemy crew, dropping it in and smashing a few heads in. Just blow all your Burning with Vent Boiler so it's not lost or use it for Locomotion attacks etc. It's a small price to pay for a FLYING RAIL GOLEM! :D

• Like 1

True but there is something to be said about flying a Rail Golem over an enemy crew, dropping it in and smashing a few heads in. Just blow all your Burning with Vent Boiler so it's not lost or use it for Locomotion attacks etc. It's a small price to pay for a FLYING RAIL GOLEM! :D

True that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used the firestarter to jump start the rail golem on first turn unsing 2 AP to get him up to burning 4 ( burning 5-7 on his turn/ defensive trigger) and moving up.  That usually sets him up for the rest of the game and I never worry about it.  Is this an ok strategy to use??

Suzakuni, I think it is! I'll add that this works great for Frame for Murder - if you load that Rail Golem up with a ton of burning, your enemy is going to freak out. You walk him up towards the enemy leader or henchman, and they've got no choice but to fight back. You'll end up dealing out a bunch of damage, and then scoring VP when you (inevitably) die. My feeling with the RG is that it's not worth the trouble of trying to keep him alive with things like Imbued Protection - just load him up, send him in to battle, and deal as much damage as you can while the enemy burns up AP killing the guy. Meanwhile the rest of your crew is off scoring VP. He's a fantastic distraction - in part I think just because of how intimidating the model itself looks, but also just because if they don't put him down they'll regret it.

I've always used the firestarter to jump start the rail golem on first turn unsing 2 AP to get him up to burning 4 ( burning 5-7 on his turn/ defensive trigger) and moving up.  That usually sets him up for the rest of the game and I never worry about it.  Is this an ok strategy to use??

I'll answer your question with a question.

Do you ever get to the point where you are running out of Burning on the Rail Golem?

If you do then it is probably worth it. If you don't then you might not need to spend so many AP on settign him on fire.

I normally find that by turn 2 I am only on Burning 2, and can get to a stage where it can wreck face. Burning 2 is my magic number, as you spend 1 for the extra attack, announce the trigger to gain an extra burning and are still on Burning 1 to do the bonus damage, ending on burning 2 still.

As I've said, thats my normal use of Burning, so I don't end up lowering it very much. If you locomotive to walk, then you will want more burning.

Kaeris early game occasionally has a spare AP for burning something, and the golem is a fine use for that. If either she or the golem flips a tome, that's 3 burning (4 if they both do!), which generally has him primed for the game. 

If your opponent is bunching up, it can be worth AP to get a huge burning on the rail golem since he can vent boiler and get a very solid burning on a number of models (3 AP on burning probably gets you close to 8 burning on the golem, each activation gets a burning, etc...).

I do sometimes run a little low, but that's because on turns where I have a tome heavy hand, depending on how the game is going I may just sacrifice my hand to fuel a rail golem stompdown.  Also, is the vent boiler worth it?  It seems that with a wk 12 and most figures having a walk of 5 or more, it seems like it is easily gotten around.

I once vented boiler in the middle of a neverborn crew handed out 3 burning to 4 out of 6 models, wk5 models need 7's so mid ranged cards wk4 need above average 8's so situationally useful even if it gets your opponent throwing away a card or two to stop it.

Mostly locomotion is too awesome not to use!