M2E Scale

UltraQ

Yeah, scale is all over the place...not that I really care because it always has been a bit dodgy, but I was taking photos today and am going to have to come up with a creative base for Vanessa so she doesn't look freakish small next to her new sisters

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15240[/ATTACH]

This annoys the heck out of me. *ugh*

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

So for those of us who don't like the scale difference of the Vik plastics we just purchased, can we return them?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the new Justice box, the Death Marshal who is crouching down is way bigger than other two Death Marshals. It is almost as if they are using the illustration too much for the basis for the 3d model, as he was in the foreground in the picture, therefore he would be bigger than the other two.

If they are digitally sculpting them, they should have made "armatures" (ex.Zsphere stick figure in Zbrush) that would be the base for each sculpt, so that all of the plastic minis would be relatively in scale with each other(obviously body types and height and such would change such things, but you could adjust the armature accordingly).

In the new Justice box, the Death Marshal who is crouching down is way bigger than other two Death Marshals. It is almost as if they are using the illustration too much for the basis for the 3d model, as he was in the foreground in the picture, therefore he would be bigger than the other two.

If they are digitally sculpting them, they should have made "armatures" (ex.Zsphere stick figure in Zbrush) that would be the base for each sculpt, so that all of the plastic minis would be relatively in scale with each other(obviously body types and height and such would change such things, but you could adjust the armature accordingly).

Good point. You may have just hit the nail on the head when it come to solving this mystery.

One does have to question what the point is of posting about how this isn't an issue for you. It doesn't contribute anything to getting the problem fixed for those of us for whom it is an issue.

I think we should all expect better from Wyrd than this or Transmortis, even if those things don't affect or bother us personally.

:+fate

I remember Mack himself commenting on how the crouching DM was broader in the shoulders way back when Wyrd first got the first run of the minis and how he liked that the DMs were not carbon copies of eachother size wise. It gave me the impression that size difference in the DMs was intentional. However Mack does not work in the production side of things so my assumption is most likely inaccurate.

I'm pretty sure Mack mentioned this when he did an "Ask Me Anything" feature in my local Facebook group. It was really cool of him to do that.

If you don't want them, your best bet is probably going to be to sell them either as a crew or parted out--or trade for a crew you want. I wouldn't be surprised if you could make a profit if you wait a month--it's going to be a while before they are officially released, so demand should go up a bit before that happens.

I like models to be different sizes because people are different sizes. And I think the Viks are the only ones actually described as tall in the fluff.

That said, if people feel they're out of scale then they certainly have the right to say it (though the inverse applies - those that think they're fine also have the right to say it, because Wyrd deserve to know that both sides exist).

I haven't noticed it myself, but then the three things on my desk are ice gamin, the ice golem, and pigtail ronin, so I wouldn't be able to tell! If they're really out, it might bother me. But unless it's a massive difference, it probably won't bother me any more than the disparity that some of the metals had (barely at all).

Comparison of Seamus versus his two other sculpts and Lynch.

20130909_174512_zpse7c84216.jpgNot a great comparison since the others are based, but he's about half-head to a head taller than the other sculpts. Same goes for belles and sybelle compared to their old sculpts. It looks like the new plastics are using a slightly larger scale, which I'm fine with since the book 4 plastics were proportioned smaller than the metals. It looks like the new plastic have the metal proportions, but use the book 4 plastics truer scale... if that makes any sense.

As for my opinion of Willie's scale, I think his head just looks cartoony.

Sorry in advance for the lousy photo quality.

Here are a comparision of the DM coffins:

post-11589-13911930857658_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the one in middle is for a giant, and the other two are for babies compared to his.

I should have taken a picture of the giant's arms, but here are the torso and heads lined up.

post-11589-13911930858379_thumb.jpg

It doesn't bother me THAT much, just as a 3d modeler/sculptor/QC "professional" I thought that going to computer based sculpting would eliminate the scaling issues that hand sculpting would bring about. Like I said in a earlier post, if I had to design a line of plastic sculpts, I would have made a base armature file for perhaps "average male", "average female", "midget creature"...and used these as the basis for all the sculpts. Now, I did do some research on Wargames Factory production, and it appears they not only do pure digital sculpts, but they will scan physical sculpts and clean them up digitally...so maybe that is what happened in some of these cases and what has made the scale all over the place.

With that being said, I still love this set. Wyrd has set the bar for dynamic miniatures for sure. I love the flow of movement in particular with the Death Marshals.

i like the new size, just wish tara was same size and that it was consistent

I don't think anyone is taking issue that the models are bigger - I personally would also prefer the larger "heroic" size - but as you say that the scale is inconsistent. Some are Ten Thunders plastic tiny, some Viktorias giants. Apparently even models in the same pack.

Not much excuse for this with digital sculpting, it's just really REALLY sloppy product.

We should all expect better from Wyrd, even if it doesn't personally bother us.