What do you prefer, metal or plastic?

Carasz

Its a tough one!

Metal +'s:

- disproportional sculpts are sometimes good (mostly faces, actually can be painted to a degree of detail lvl)

- strippable

- hefty

- sturdy

- better for a less experienced painter

Plastics +'s:

- easier to assemble (no pinning needed)

- less paint chipping

- smoothnes leads to smoother paint jobs

- propotional (lifelike) sculpts

- quiality is raising

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with metal models, so I like them quite a lot. But, I can see definite benefits to plastic, and I like many plastic models. It especially works well for larger kits. I also like the poseable nature of sprue-plastic.

But really, what I like is what people do with the material. The material itself is not so relevant.

As usual depends on the plastic and on the metal. Sprue/soft plastic is/should be easier to assemble and normally holds detail and paint better. Saying that infinity miniatures are a good example of how good metal can be. Plus it is easier to strip if you want to repaint models.

In general i think i like Plastic as they go together easily, and stay together unless you abuse them.

However for the most part i prefer Wyrds metal models, due to i haven't liked the current waves of plastic, as they just made things to small, and to many pieces, so hoping the second wave is better:)

For models of infantry or cavalry size, metal. Anything bigger, plastic. There does come a point where metal just gets too heavy.

Why metal vs plastic?

Both have good looking models. That is a wash.

You can say plastic goes together easier than metal...but that too I would consider a wash. Malifaux plastics have many fiddly parts that all need to be cleaned and glued together. Metal cleans faster,and many models are one piece castings so you can start playing or painting quicker. You may want to pin a few parts, but if you have five minute epoxy on hand you can often skip pinning altogether. So yeah, a wash.

Metal is far better for limited run or special edition miniatures. The molds are cheaper and easier to make and the turnaround time from master to production models is short, so less of the manufacturing costs get passed on to the consumer. Win!

Metal has durability and intrinsic value. Plastic, once snipped, assembled, and painted, has very little resale or repaint value. My metal models, should I choose to resell or repaint them, can easily be stripped and reused. Easy peasy. Huge bonus.

Finally, a personal note. I have been lucky enough to meet and learn from some of Wyrd's sculptors. I can, for example, buy a Paul Muller sculpt and feel like I am supporting a sculptor that I admire. I can't say the same about the anonymous digital renderer for plastic models. I can also, as someone that used to make his living making molds for and casting tin figures, appreciate the skill that goes into making metal figures, and I can appreciate that they are made in America. Can't say the same about plastics.

Don't get me started on Finecast. Suffice to say that I am glad that Wyrd isn't going that route.

Haha, Finecast. My friend had a Necron something or other with a staff. He put it together then sat it down on a table. Within 10 minutes, the staff collapsed under it's own weight and snapped. It wasn't where any glue was, either.

I do enjoy painting metal better, because of the textures. Other than painting, I like plastic.

I'm very new to the world of miniatures, but I have to say I prefer painting the metal figures to the plastic ones. Metal figures have a satisfying weight to them, and the density of pewter feels sturdier in my hands. I also feel that they take to paint better than plastic figures (although I use a brush, not an airbrush).

That having been said, I do see the merits of plastic figures. The detail, customization potential, and lower cost are all wonderful traits. Looking at the new Malifaux figures, I am wowed by the attention to detail that the new plastic figures show (currently painting the Dark Debts crew).

I'll still take a pewter figure over a plastic one any day of the week, but I can appreciate the beauty of a well-done plastic figure.

The flash is much more difficult to get rid of, gluing is more difficult, it's easier to 'shock' joints into falling apart (in spite of them not being touched), paint flakes off easier...all in all, fairly minor things for the most part, since a lot of them can be dealt with. So I call them quirks, because they are things that take up more of my limited hobby time, but they don't make it a miserable experience or anything.

I much prefer metal over plastics. But I do think Wyrd is doing an excellent job on their plastics. I had hoped they would have done a resin-plastic mix like some wm/h minis.

Wyrd's use of plastic doesn't constrain the poses done by Wyrd plastics, which is IMO the main limitation of hard plastic. There's a lot of hate for all of the various types of resin-plastics from what I've seen, so going with a hard plastic is the right move IMO.

I prefer plastics, but wow, Wyrd's plastics are a totally PITA to assemble.

I was helping my buddy assemble the Vik's box set...just the fiddliest things ever!

I mean..I like customizability, but having hands, bows, heads, legs, weapons, etc.. all be individual teeny tiny pieces is a little overboard. Can't tell you the special hell dropping one of those pieces on the floor is.

My heart says metal... I just like it. My brain says plastic, as it is easier to work with in most cases.

Still, I do like the weight of metal and the point about stripping and cleaning. I have bought a few second hand miniature only because they were metal and after a quick bath in acetone they were like new. Plastics? Not so much...

Last year, when I was putting Yan Lo and Misaki together, I was not a fan of the plastics. Fiddly little bits had me stressing pretty bad... then I started to paint them and was quite impressed at how nice they were to paint.

Then I build the archers and felt like I had been sent to hell.

but now I have built several of the other models, yin, toshiro, miss step, miss terious, lucas McCabe, Vanessa, puppet wars, and I have come to understand how to assemble them. If you try to put them together like metal models, you're going to have a bad time. there is a definite learning curve to the plastics, and I found that it takes more than a single crew to fully get the hang of it.

Now, at this point, I am very much looking forward to the new plastic releases of the older masters. Especially after looking at the first wave that was at Gencon. so, final answer? Plastics all the way for me.