Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of yet, I have not played a single game on Vassal. Given the nature of beta testing, Vassal would be a good format to test with, IF it was done by honest players who signed the NDA and didn't youtube the results. It would allow more games as Vassal is 24 hours and doesn't require two testers to meet in the same room... You can also pause games and you can forward screen captures directly to Wyrd.

Is Wyrd going to allow Vassal? It would be a shame to learn it and find out both players have to be in the same room. Other testing I have done has been okay using software or screensharing to play games as long as all players in the game signed the agreement.

Once public beta hits, vassal test games will be allowed and encouraged.

I'm super super hoping for ebook versions of the new rules and the upgraded stat cards!!! I don't buy any physical books anymore in any other genre except for the random miniature games that haven't evolved from the annoyingly large, cumbersome and damagable physical book format, so please Wyrd, let me buy an ebook version :).

To those in the Wyrd newsletters, you should have gotten your emials telling you about it, if you haven't, check your damn mail now!

Some cliff notes

OPEN BETA STARTING MAY 31!

HENCHMEN GETTING UPGRADED TO MASTERS!

GREMLINS BECOMING OWN FACTION!

So yeah I'm hyped, I'm super hyped!

Viks nurfed already?

Will this mean the end for Viks and Von Schill in my crew :Sad_Puppet1:

Viks nurfed already?

It's only a cuddle to the Viks if you relied on Mr. Schill to do the work. The Vik players i know usually run him as a master leaving room for better things in a Vik list. I wouldn't know much though... i tried the viks about 2 years ago and lost so bad that i still have flashbacks when i see them... ahh!

Viks nurfed already?

As a consolation Von Schill will be the only Septuble-Faction model in the game. Just so he can remain the best henchman or I guess master in every faction.

As a consolation Von Schill will be the only Septuble-Faction model in the game. Just so he can remain the best henchman or I guess master in every faction.

What this will mean is that the mercenary rules will be changed so you can claim Von Schill is in your faction for a measly 2 stone tax.:Hiding_Puppet:

I thought he was his own faction, Schill-town.

He does not need LoS to enemy models because he has Orbital lasers with Flurry and a defensive trigger that lets him sacrifice ENEMY models within 36 inches instead of taking damage.

Yeah, I hear that. I was all set and primed to jump into Malifaux. I guess I'll wait now. While I'm excited for 2e, I want to start playing now but I'm not going to buy a bunch of 1e stuff just to have to buy 2e stuff in 6 months. Oh well

Sadly this will happen to someone. It's the nature of any edition change. You get hit this time. Is this your first game though? Have you never been the before or after of an edition change in another game? It happens. It sucks. But be excited for where it is going!

And if the fluff and stories in the books is not reprinted in the new books, it means that the old books still have SOME purpose, even if it isn't a gameplay purpose. If you are a purely game oriented player and care not for the story, then yeah. Probably useless. But you can probably off load them to someone else.

Why in the hell would they want to cram all the information on the character card on to a regular sized card. These cards dont go into a deck, theres no reason to resize them. Malifaux is going to epic fail trying to jam all of a masters information on a regular card, and we will suffer for it.

Nighthater

Yeah, I hear that. I was all set and primed to jump into Malifaux. I guess I'll wait now. While I'm excited for 2e, I want to start playing now but I'm not going to buy a bunch of 1e stuff just to have to buy 2e stuff in 6 months. Oh well

The existing models are still going to be completely fine and playable. There will just be new stats cards and rules eventually, unless you have a specific reason to wait for the plastic models. :)

Why in the hell would they want to cram all the information on the character card on to a regular sized card. These cards dont go into a deck, theres no reason to resize them. Malifaux is going to epic fail trying to jam all of a masters information on a regular card, and we will suffer for it.

Nighthater

Listening to the podcasts it sounds like they have cut back on a lot of the abilities on the cards. Perhaps those abilities have been moved to the new upgrades that were mentioned. Scaling back on the number of abilities each model has would make it pretty straight forward to fit the new cards onto a playing card size.

People keep saying this but just for repititions sake: your "1e" models will still work in 2e. They'll just get new stat cards. Once again, YOUR MODELS WILL NOT GO AWAY. Buy whatever you want and play it for the 3-6 months until 2e is properly out. And then get new CARDS, not new MODELS, and keep playing them. There's zero reason to wait if you are set and primed to play Malifaux now. You can play tomorrow. You can play those same models in a year. You don't have to buy new models for 2e.

People keep saying this but just for repititions sake: your "1e" models will still work in 2e. They'll just get new stat cards. Once again, YOUR MODELS WILL NOT GO AWAY. Buy whatever you want and play it for the 3-6 months until 2e is properly out. And then get new CARDS, not new MODELS, and keep playing them. There's zero reason to wait if you are set and primed to play Malifaux now. You can play tomorrow. You can play those same models in a year. You don't have to buy new models for 2e.

... and you can play the beta test in 30 days too...

If anything, I would think right now would be a GREAT time to pick up a new crew and to learn about what they were so that when the open beta starts(Very soon) I could help understand where they are going and perhaps even make suggestions.

I can think of at least one crew that I am thinking about buying now because I like the metal versions and have an interest in testing quite a bit during the open beta.

Edited by Gruesome

Buy a crew, paint 'em up and be ready for the 31st, eh? The free Rules Manual PDF will be enough to get familiar with the basic concepts until the beta hits.

It's also fun to know that Malifaux players are going to be going crazy with the beta beginning on my birthday *grin*

I do want to mention that 2 models are, in fact, going away. Per the Through the Breach podcast, Minion Hamelin and Misaki are no longer going to be in the game.