The Star Does Art Maliveau

Tuesday

a.k.a. hoping my artistic references are correct and I don't look a fool.

More showgirls! I already have my playing-card themed crew painted up, but I just can't get enough of those frilly minis. So I'm painting another Colette box, just for kicks. It's kind of a side project to life, so this probably won't be updated as often as your usual showcase thread-- it's actually been going on already for a month or two.

And this is what I have to show for it! Please excuse my giant hands.

minisabunch015.jpg

minisabunch016.jpg

minisabunch017.jpg

minisabunch019.jpg

minisabunch021.jpg

Since I'm kind of clinging to the idea of the Star dabbling in an Art Nouveau-esque style (we're more or less in the 1890s, right? So I'm never letting it go), I plan to add little flourishes of it where I can, in hems and such. (The bases will be some kind of Victorian ballroom tile in the same style.) Iris the Performer is getting hers added sometime soon.

Work-in-progress Cassandra. I'm probably going to go back and clean up the pattern a bit, it seems like it's missing something.

minisabunch011.jpg

minisabunch010.jpg

Sequins? Nah. I've seen the Showgirls done in vibrant schemes tons of times, and they do look good in bright colors, but I thought it'd be fun to try a more muted palette and see how that works out. :) Thanks, though! I am always looking to improve technique.

Seregon-- Ah, that arm. It's so easy to get bent the wrong way. It does look a little off, though-- I hadn't noticed. Thanks!

The faces are the best I've ever seen, period.

Thanks so much, but I do have to say the angles here are probably helping out a lot. XD They're not quite as nice under scrutiny in real life.

And thanks, everyone! 1903, eh? Hooray, that still works. If we wind up going too far into the future, though, art deco isn't out of the question either...

• 3 weeks later...
There are a few pastel metals. Cobalt would be a great choice for Coryphee claws.

I based my Doves in Vallejo GC Magic Blue then Badab Black Wash with a final drybrush of VGC Silver and highlighted with Burnished Gold. While not pastel metal; it did turn out very sharp.

And yes please Tuesday give us an update!