Selecting Your Crew - How do you do it?

Rathnard

After the Scheme poll I was inspired to do another one. :rolleyes: This time it's about how you select your crew before each game?

Personally (and perhaps unsurprisingly) I almost always use Zoraida :D. But my crew varies drastically from game to game, depending on the strategy/faction I'm facing, my opponents experience and what crazy minion selection I feel like today. ;)

At some point however, I'm going to start varying my Master selection again. Once he's assembled I want to start using Marcus against newer players, and I'll eventually want to bring out Leveticus again. Same with Lord Chompy Bits. :rolleyes:

So what about you guys?

Really torn between 1 and 2 here.

I play with few masters and tend to go playing one for weeks before I switch.

I also have some favorite models (like Bête Noire or Young Nephilim) I'd take in every single list I make.

But there are always 15~20 points available for adjustments and this part of the list tends to change very wildly from game to game.

I only have Rasputina and So'mer Teeth, and only my Cult of December is fully painted so I have only used So'mer once. For the most part, I've stuck with ice constructs, but I like the December acolyte a lot for slowing down my opponents. So far, I have only been in one scrap where my choice of crew really made a difference; Rasputina vs Kirai. I went all constructs to avoid her spawning seishin off my casualties.

Long before the strategy/opponent, I will pick out a Master, and whatever crew I feel will be entertaining to play with (and against). The only time that I really look at my opponent is when they are an inexperienced player. I will make some adjustments if my list seems like it will either steamroll over them, or just wouldn't be a fun mix (like taking a construct only list against Kirai).

None of the above.

Other than focusing on one faction (cos I love the fluff) & a tendency to put strings of games together with a single master, I tend to play on a whim.

I don't really care too much about what I'm playing against so much, as focusing on winning games of toy soldiers with the constant interference of the gods of fortune is indicitive of a need to get a life (imo). I'd rather my crew played fast, died young & had a good looking corpse.

I've been ADHD up until now, playing whatever I feel like. But recently, I completed my collection of the entirety of the Neverborn (except sorrows).

I really am trying to set-up a "home base" there. I've lost way too many games to not knowing the intricacies of whatever crew I "felt like running" that day. For instance, forgetting Harmless on a Mannequin cause the entirety of Colette's crew to get blown up in a single spell from Criid. (if only the red joker hadn't come up on exactly that straight damage flip...).

That all said, I'm still a "play to win" guy. I now walk up to the table and say "Neverborn" Once the strategy flips, I decide if any of my masters are particularly strong at that strategy. If yes, they're my pick. If no, I play one I'm more confident or have more experience with (Lilith/Zoraida). If it so happens that neither of these apply, only then do I run whatever I feel like.

tl;dr: "C".

Really torn between 1 and 2 here.

I play with few masters and tend to go playing one for weeks before I switch.

I also have some favorite models (like Bête Noire or Young Nephilim) I'd take in every single list I make.

But there are always 15~20 points available for adjustments and this part of the list tends to change very wildly from game to game.

This.

I only have about 4 games under my belt, so I don't know if I have a trend yet or not.

I believe once I get more familiar with the game I will alter my masters based on the Strategy. Right now I pretty much know I am taking an Acolyte, and the Ice Golem with Rasputina, the remainder of the points is up in the air. I have used the cats, the gamin, a convict gunslinger. I think I will stick with the Arcanists pretty closely.

I'm not adhd but when it comes to playing the game I tend to jump around the masters depending on the strategy.

But as of now I've been wanting to try zoridia and collodi. Zoridia will be pumping out wicked dolls and a doppelganger will as well, then collodi will movement shenanigans and have all the wicked dolls teleport to him.

I have pretty hard core ADHD

I played as C. Hoffman, and hired two preformers because I wanted to ignore the Preformer's Clothing special rule and link them to C. Hoffman. An 18 point investment but suprisingly effective. If they were 6 points for C. Hoffman I'd get worried...

but anyway I do things because I can, not because they're powerful. Like, assimilate the "Tunneling" ability from the Soulstone Miners and then have C. Hoffman tunnel. Not useful but So Much Fun!

I'm a little ADHD loving Seamus, McMourning and now Leveticus, they are all fun to play and that is the most important thing for me.

I am painting up some crews from other factions too just for variety and to give new players a bit of choice too (Lady J, Ramos and Dreamer)

I usually have similar models to take with either of my Masters.

Seeing as I have Nico and McM.

With Nico, it really depends on who I face. If I am going against no CCs, I take a lot of fodder, like Necropunks, and dogs...and I always use Vultures.

If the strategy is something that requires taking...ie treasure hunt...I usually will take Necropunks anyways.

With McM, it is almost always one Frankie, Sebs, and 3 Punk Zombies, everything else...puppies. If I use a totem, it's the Grave Spirit.