Wild Clampett Speculation

Thatguy

Models are so cool!!! I love all the flavour for the abilities, but again, there are some that are just what Wyrd was not supposed to do in M3E: abilities that do the same, with complete different names.

The master really seems a little bit over the power curve of the game. A way better leap? HtK and Stealth? :+flip to Defense most of the time? That's a though cookie

59 minutes ago, SEV said:

The Skulker / hermit combo is probably great at area control, but is this really needed in GG3? Also you're spending 12 points of models on defensive duty so it better score you points and/or denied points.

Yeah, it seems like the hermits do a pretty good job of area control by themselves. If I was going to spend more points it would probably be on an OoK healer.

41 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

The master really seems a little bit over the power curve of the game. A way better leap? HtK and Stealth? :+flip to Defense most of the time? That's a though cookie

Yeah I thought the same.

Clampet also seems like a pretty good OoK pick. He looks like fun to use with Zipp and Pianos or Mah and Pit Traps.

3 hours ago, ShinChan said:

I think masters being pretty tough with leap is fine, especially as stealth gets turned off as soon as this master actually starts using its AP.

But is probably a lot less fine if the card draw engine ends up drawing a ton of cards. I think that's the most worrisome part of the crew for me. Card draw tends to break crews.

Also, on the note of card draw/card discard, this crew seems like it needs to pressure the opponent's hand... So wouldn't Merris be a great OOK for many matchups? She's great at pressuring hands.

The card draw of Use ‘Em as Bait is very depends on you local meta ruling, but to my understanding it only draws when an enemy ends a move into the Tide marker or when a Tide marker is pushed into an enemy. So it is about 1~2 cards a turn based on the current revealed model.

image.png.b1c75eddc14327fd39949160baf0a23f.png

For me, this would include any methods of them coming into base contact (including dropping the marker).

19 minutes ago, Rufess said:

The card draw of Use ‘Em as Bait is very depends on you local meta ruling, but to my understanding it only draws when an enemy ends a move into the Tide marker or when a Tide marker is pushed into an enemy. So it is about 1~2 cards a turn based on the current revealed model.

Just be aware that if your meta uses this ruling, it presumably means you can end the move blocking LOS to the marker and deny the effect.

I'm curious about the requirement about ending a move in base contact, though, since it doesn't say anything about ending a move?

• Agree 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Rufess said:

But it doesn't say Move. It says "Comes into contact" - From my point of view (and limited English knowledge) that means if the enemy makes any sort of contact with a Tide marker, regardless of the action that put them together, you get to draw a card.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

But it doesn't say Move. It says "Comes into contact" - From my point of view (and limited English knowledge) that means if the enemy makes any sort of contact with a Tide marker, regardless of the action that put them together, you get to draw a card.

I am not a native English speaker and not sure how it is used in native community, but what I was taught is that the word "Come Into" always involves some kind of movement.

But if the "dropping also count" is the common agreement of the English community, I think I will follow it since those players do have, well, have more say than me.

1 hour ago, Rufess said:

I am not a native English speaker and not sure how it is used in native community, but what I was taught is that the word "Come Into" always involves some kind of movement.

But if the "dropping also count" is the common agreement of the English community, I think I will follow it since those players do have, well, have more say than me.

I would say "comes into contact" requires a time when they aren't in contact and a time when they are. 

So from a real world view yes it does need "movement " but that's not automatically the same as game movement.  Dropping a tide marker can make a model come into base contact with a tide marker ( as can summoning a model),  without it being game movement . 

29 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Interesting. I feel like there are going to be some issues with a Charge based model with a 3" move.

snail knight.png

You do have the choice of using heroic intervention fir a greater range, but without the bonuses on the spear. 

He is probably a nightmare for hamelin, just imaging how many rats he can charge in 1 turn!

• Agree 1

He does get the 3" inch move at the start of his activation to help. I think him having on 3 movement is a safety valve to stop him rampaging through squishier crews. Seems like another tanky, damage dealer in the keyword, they are shaping up to be quote tough for Gremlins. I think he will be a decent tech pick against certain crews, like Hamelin or maybe Kirai 2, where he can annihilate a bunch of small models.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mindbadger said:

Kirai 2

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing seshin deleter. Might be good against Ironsides as a drudge remover or Nexus to delete Eyes and Ears. Would be really rough on Somer as well, especially given that I'm Done With This Demises would feed his rampage. 

My headcanon is that he's getting revenge for all the unwinnable battles against Hamlin Gremlins had in first ed.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Heroic intervention has the drawback of not being "up to 6 in" so unless you get lucky you won't be able to charge with your next action. 

He also has the drawback of being Sz3, making him too big for some gremlin movement shenanigans.

You have quite a wide range of places to push into your target and so be forcibly stopped ( Plus towards covers quite an angle these days and with a 2" engagement there are quite a few ways to push past and still be in range for most situations. 

Even if he just moves for his turn he can move 9" at least, which isn't all that slow.  He can interact 6" away. He can attack something 12" away. He might not be the fastest thing out there but overall he is above average movement himself. 

With a 3" On the Move, Mv3 ja 2" reach his threat range for Move + Charge is the same as it would be for a standard Mv5 1" reach model. Add to that Heroic Intervention and his Bonus Action and I doubt he will have an especially difficult time reaching the enemy. And why is he Stat 7? And with On the Move he will get to make use of that 2" reach all the time making it especially potent. Not to mention how he gets to Charge all the time and reap the benefits from that making him min damage 3 (4 with a Trigger) which is kinda bonkers.

Armor+2, Df5 with easy access to plus flips and Wp6. He seems extremely good to me.

Now, granted, 8SS Enforcers need to be pretty premium since that's the territory of Henchmen with their access to SS use but I'm still worried about the power creep in the new book. Bayou looks absolutely insane to me on paper.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, TeddyBear said:

so far the keyword, among the new ones presented, with the most interesting mechanics!

Professionally painted models will look gorgeous (even if they look something other than what is usually malifaux)

I would have liked to "detoxify" a bit from the bayou, but I think it will be impossible😅

Personally I love the flavor. Rivals Penelope for best pooch and a Don Quixote jouster? Sign me up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

While waiting for update for the app, I had played 2 games with Mah hiring Sir Vantes last weekend. And the results are...not as impressed as I thought.

The push and card draw did help a lot for sure. I had also hired Trixiebelle and hoping the Coordinate Attack can help to pull off the Escar Go, but it did not go very well. I had triggered the ability like 6~7 times in total but only managed to Charge other models twice.

Here is my list:

Mah Tucket
The Little Lass
Trixiebelle
Bo Peep
  2 Gremlins Suit
Sir Vantes
Beau Fishbocker
Bushwhacker
Bushwhacker
cache: 5ss

Has anyone else tried the Angler model/whole crew?