2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Gheist

BCs5buH.jpgv6vQ7OS.jpg

Continuing working towards completing some neverborn keywords, have painted up the Bultungin, 2 for Titania and one for Euripedes.

Also from earlier in the month

vqOYBFw.jpg

yfrah4a.jpg

A little bit more bloodbowl. The Regular yhetee was technically in the big group shoot but the two star players weren't. Skorg (the Yhetee with the scarf) was great fun to paint with all his little hair care products on his belt and the great big scarf wrapped around his neck.

• Like 8

Again, for mobile ate my text...

So, really last-minute pledge, but I have managed to finish up Youko from the Qi and Gong crew, which is going to be my continous pledge for July as well. With Youko done, I have officially finished 20 SS for June.

I absolutely loved to paint kimonos for a change of pace with Chiyo and Youko after so much leather and weather for the Wastrels and Seamus. I have tried to capture her soft features from the box (as requested by owner of crew), so I really had to crank my painting game to a new gear. Would you guess this is her 7th iteration of makeup after complete wipe and redo? :D

I am trying to follow traditional Japanese patterns and overall atmosphere for teahouses/bathhouses based on old paintings and guides. I have learned a lot thanks to this model.

Her base is made of Fimo Air Light, which is still a useless material for any detailed miniature work.

IMG_20220630_110737.thumb.jpg.2f0fa15ffa8c35c7a7889cd8648a0aac.jpgIMG_20220630_110752.thumb.jpg.fcc569557e19685488775ad8593d265f.jpg

• Like 7

Caedrus, Reporting in!

Folks, this is going to be a crazily brief update. I made it, with three hours to go!

WHJWoo1.jpg

I got my Plague group complete, and some Bandits as well!

This is my very swiftly taken shot, with more, and better, photos to come tomorrow!

Caedrus.

• Like 5

Something went terribly wrong with the skintones on my Pandora 2 😱 I think it might have something to do with mixing scale 75 artists paints with vallejo model air paints, it gives a really uneven and flakey texture once dry.

20220629_223110.thumb.jpg.d30710af3145311edbd0dc2804ea3017.jpg

Don't know what I should do to correct this, but it killed off some motivation, and I'll be taking a mulligan this month as there's no way I'll get this finished in time... 😥

• Like 8

Whew, another month flew by! Wasn't too good for me in terms of numbers as I was pretty busy at work. Still, got plenty of stuff prepped and I'm ready to do much more in July. In total I ifnished August with 29 soulstones worth of painting

painters-challenge-june2022-final1.jpg
painters-challenge-june2022-final2.jpg
painters-challenge-june2022-final3.jpg
painters-challenge-june2022-final4.jpg

@Hawkoon - love the new Pandy and classic color scheme. I'm still in two minds whether to paint mine like that or go with intense red. Now I'm leaning towards "classic" as I can see it looks really cool!

@TimH - really cool (pun intended) color scheme, this deep shade of purple in the recesses brings it all together nicely. The greenish shade on Bultingin's fur works really well with purple trousers too!

@Caedrus - cool stuff, would love to see some close-ups but can already tell the Cat is amazing

@DemiMurgos - very elegant, clean paintjob and the freehand looks great

@wobbly_goggy - another months filled with awesome contributions. Miss model is my favorite as that shade of orange works so well with this limited palette

@Gheist - quite the crew you got there! That proxy model is ridiculously good and the dark metallics on Freikorps look great.

@Cats Laughing - haven't seen many of new Asami models painted and I like the bright colors you've used

@Moinetbeard - I have two Nexus boxes set aside for a commisison I will be working on in September. Looking at your pics, I feel like opening them now - great stuff!

@LinenMusician - nice and clean paintjobs all around

@Diddick - great paintjob on these nasty ones, the skin looks amazing. I've tried using black background for pics but the effects were terrible, would love to get tome tips and tricks from you!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@Viruk: Thank you for the comment 🙂 I keep a similar theme of green and purple main colours for all my woes, so I didn't want the new pandora to stand out from the rest of the gang.

That said, my model is far from finished, as I messed up terribly with her skin. I've ordered new paints (the skintone I used is pretty old), so hopefully the next attempt will be better.

But I really need to figure out what to do with the messed up parts. I can't just paint over, because there is a bit of texture build-up, so I need to do something about that. For her leg I can probably just apply another layer of primer to even it out, but I could use som pro-tips on what to do with her face and torso, as there are som really fine details there that won't look good with another thick coat of primer... 🤔

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

@Viruk: Thank you for the comment 🙂 I keep a similar theme of green and purple main colours for all my woes, so I didn't want the new pandora to stand out from the rest of the gang.

That said, my model is far from finished, as I messed up terribly with her skin. I've ordered new paints (the skintone I used is pretty old), so hopefully the next attempt will be better.

But I really need to figure out what to do with the messed up parts. I can't just paint over, because there is a bit of texture build-up, so I need to doe something about that. For her leg I can probably just apply another layer of primer to even it out, but I could use som pro-tips on what to do with her face and torso, as there are som really fine details there that won't look good with another thick coat of primer... 🤔

You could strip her or even try to partially strip her (i've seen it done with some qtips and some stripping agent of your coice, sterilium, simple green,...)

23 minutes ago, Spitfire said:

You could strip her or even try to partially strip her (i've seen it done with some qtips and some stripping agent of your coice, sterilium, simple green,...)

Seeing as it's only her skin that's an issue I guess I could try removing the paint with a qtip and a solvent. Don't have any of the mentioned agents, but I guess airbrush cleaner would work?

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

Seeing as it's only her skin that's an issue I guess I could try removing the paint with a qtip and a solvent. Don't have any of the mentioned agents, but I guess airbrush cleaner would work?

If you don't own it or have never used it, I swear by Mr. Paint Remover. MR. PAINT REMOVER | Mr.COLOR | PAINT / THINNER / SPRAY | GSI Creos Mr.HOBBY (mr-hobby.com) 

That stuff is amazing. I got a whole bunch of it and a small mason jar... I call it "The Dip" (call back from Who Framed Roger Rabbit) and I've had to put a few models in it to wholesale start over. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

If you don't own it or have never used it, I swear by Mr. Paint Remover. MR. PAINT REMOVER | Mr.COLOR | PAINT / THINNER / SPRAY | GSI Creos Mr.HOBBY (mr-hobby.com) 

That stuff is amazing. I got a whole bunch of it and a small mason jar... I call it "The Dip" (call back from Who Framed Roger Rabbit) and I've had to put a few models in it to wholesale start over. 

Wow! That stuff looks amazing! Sadly it's not yet approved in Norway, so I can't get hold of it (yet!) 

Oh, I think I got traumatized by "the dip" when i was 7... that poor shoe!

Love the skintone on your fae! I might just steal the idea of a green tint🥷

On 7/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, Viruk said:

@Diddick - great paintjob on these nasty ones, the skin looks amazing. I've tried using black background for pics but the effects were terrible, would love to get tome tips and tricks from you!

Thanks!

I use 2 steps:
1- while taking the picture
- make sure the mini has good lighting
- when taking the picture, reduce the exposure until the background is almost completely black, i use the base as a reference, ideally the base has to blend with the black surface where the mini is.  Make sure the mini still looks good, if it gets too dark, ignore the base/surface blending, lower the exposure as much as you can, as long as the mini looks good.

2- edit the picture:
- crop and center the image
- optionally add a vignete around the image
- at least on my phone there's a "black point" option, increase this until "the blacks get blacker", usually is a very very small amount. if you do it a lot it messes up the non black colors.

and that's it 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, Strangely Brown said:

For some reason I'm not able to upload photos on this thread! 

🤔 Ah, it appears I've used up all the space I'm allowed.  Will need to find another way to share images.

Think I've done it...

Finished off (again) a few keywords; Family, Journalist & Augmented are once again painting complete.

xOdxUym.jpeg

8GpXZOu.jpeg

u1YVJQD.jpeg

Edited by Strangely Brown
Added individual image links
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Think I've done it...

Finished off (again) a few keywords; Family, Journalist & Augmented are once again painting complete.

Nice Paintjobs!

You can link your imgur Pictures here with the direct link provided by imgur, if you are not sure which type of link to use click on one of my pictures