2022 Monthly Painting Challenge - June

Gheist

Wow we are approaching the half Time of this years show.

On a personal note i am very happy about the awesome work and Contribution of everyone, it's pretty much mindblowing

Take Care to fill out your Soulstone reportforms everyone @Shock & Awe and myself will have a look for gaps at the end of this Month i guess.

For this months Masterclass's then, i would like to adress the methodology if painting a miniature. This might seem metaphysical, but i have always taken that as the most important bit from most tutorials, the HOW to order the different steps to get a good result, so if you guys would share your workflow (maybe do pictures) i know that some of you have hidden whole decks of Cards up their sleeves :D

As for my Pledge, i will paint in some stuff that we need for our next videos and then continue Oni

Have fun and good luck to everyone!

Caedrus, pledging in!

This month, I will be finishing off my Bandit keyword, which I was so achingly close to completing in May, and then making a start on a whole new keyword: Plague!

VZweXIM.jpg

These guys will make for a good, solid start into the Alt-Hamelin world of cats!

Have an absolutely fantastic June, my fellow painters and friends!

Caedrus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Demi taking it back a notch but ready for duty! :D

I'm planning to paint some Qi and Gong ladies this month to freshen up the realistic tones with some color.

My buddy got a WH40k space marine intercessor as a thrown-in gift at a shop and he asked me to paint it for him (first commission?! :D), so that is what I'm gonna focus on in my spare time. 

@Caedrus I am so jelly right now, our tournament lady also owns the Crazy Cat Lady crew and I love the miniatures, can't wait to see your approach on them! :D 

@Gheist Regarding the masterclass: I am not a master of painting and am still learning the good flow, but I'm currently learning the "paint on frame, glue later" approach with smaller pieces. I have ran into some trouble when minis were already glued together and then had to reach into small places, which is a challenge with my current knowledge and with a lack of an airbrush... But all in all, I currently follow a layering method I use with acrylics on canvas as well.

The first step of painting I do is actually study the figure still on the frame and come up with colors for those I don't paint following the box art. I have a relatively small amount of paints so I come up with possible color mixes to achieve what I have in mind and then set up my workstation with the chosen colors, water, brushes and my cutting/painting mat, all under a lamp that is possibly visible from ISS. :D 

As of now, I tend to cut, clean the bits and pieces of extra plastic and glue the mini together, then prime it with Vallejo air-can primer (either black, white, or a little both to add zenithal highlights). After that I usually lay down the base colors (midtones for each specific part) to block out how the final mini will look like and change colors if I don't like the original idea. I then go usually color block by color block to ensure I utilize all the paint I spurt out and making sure the mixed colors look the same everywhere. I have just learned wet blending and try it as much as possible as I'm a sucker for nice color blends. :) I finish up by highlighting and extreme small details, like faces, eyes and makeup. If there is some OSL, the light color comes last as a last color layer. A spritz of acrylic matt varnish and it's good to go in the box until I make the base. :)

• Like 1

I'll be digging into my nightmares this month. I can't really seem to get into a good workflow on those... so many are half-finished.

My methology is pretty adaptive, meaning I change my method as I progress, assessing what to do next as I go. I'll try to get a step-by-step up with one of the models if I have the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, feagaur said:

I have a tournament on Sunday (12th) so will be looking to get as many of these finished as possible. 
and yes, I will be using all 4 night terrors 😈. Just don’t tell the others going yet.

image.jpg

that is so overpowered our lips are sealed shut :D, GL on the paintjobs and GL in the Tournament

• Like 1

Feels like cheating, her being mostly done, but I’m calling Molly complete.

I love the pose on the model and the dynamism but I hate the mouth. I also noticed half way through painting that her left elbow joint was a little off and was too lazy to fix it. 
and don’t get me started on the intestines poo!!!!!🤣

6EB2B7AB-0E44-4E24-9174-33A5D60BE1A4.jpeg

• Like 4

I shall be painting up some more neverborn this month, possibly some conversions too (Stumpy and Scorpius conversions are in the pipeline).

In the meantime I have spent the first week of the month finishing up this little project.

28PLurv.jpg

JgwxtxC.jpg

1HFK3l7.jpg

Additional photos of the boys were taken but thought I'd keep it to these 3 on account of them not being faux.

• Like 5

My first entry for June are thos two gentlemen:20220606_142509.thumb.jpg.b3426457a332448c6bcb40a6383eb471.jpg20220606_142537.thumb.jpg.0ab74142884cb6a51fbe912852ff507b.jpg which i rather like. Now I am gonna touch this months Masterclass Theme on a model to model basis because of the variance that i have in Workflows.

With those two Gentlemen, i started out by priming Black, and then doing 3-4 Airbrush Layers dark grey to pure white to set lighting.

After that i set aside the colours that i was sure i wanted use which amounted to like 15 Pots and started Airbrushing what i thought i could do without strain. this amounted all the blue/violet smoke on both models as well as both models main clothes colour. i did multiple layers of each colour, mixing to create the transitions.

i often feel that doing finer details with an airbrush creates more work than it does do, so i switch to brush at this point and block out all the other colours

(Skin/hair/shoes/gloves/buttons/staff/glasses/shirts/ties)

Then if i really like a miniature, like those two, i go back with the original airbrush colours, mix them with darkblue or violet or black ink and reinforce all the dark shadows, which i always feel brings the original idea back way better than highlighting does.

than i painted shadows on the rest and highlighted everything by mixing with ivory/white/skin/lightgrey. I went back with white and did highlights on the blue stuff and glazed them over with the original colours to get more variance. I think i painted stuff with some sort of pink or other.

i then painted the bases by applying contrast paint and drybrushing the one, while i just painted random patterns on the other with stuff that was on my pallet for the other base, which was the most fun thing to do.

and done :D

hope this is not too boring to read, have a sucessful and awesome june everyone

• Like 7

On a sidenote, as everyone posted their Flower and Showers stuff in the May Post:

If you are late with posting your pledge, or have kept a super secret painting project hidden from the eyes of mortal people:

If it's later than the third day of the new month, just Post everything in the new Month's Post. This will allow for an easier transition :D

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:48 PM, wobbly_goggy said:

The paint train rumbles on, the pile of shame is slowly shrinking!

B738B631-89BF-45C6-B6A7-32D96711AEE0.jpeg

Interesting choice of colours!

And the most important question: pile of shame shrinking? How?

Mine just keeps growing... Like a hydra, every time I finish one model, atleast 2 more models magically appear in the pile...

• Like 1

Well, this "technically" belongs in the May thread - but @Gheist said to put it here... and being my fellow host, I shall obey :) (because we all know @Gheist is Zoraida in disguise) 

Here is my Flowers and Showers submission. The pic for the contest sucked... well... I liked it when I took it, but I think it did not really help sell the model. 

large.IMG_5030-2.jpg.6de65438f7bcdc316d4large.IMG_5034.jpg.12d2f0c1b13a0e3117bbe

Still in the hunt for my first vote in one of these contests :)

For this month I'm going to be banging on with the Fae keyword. Still got two Autumn Knights, Aeslin, and the snakey snake to go.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics16/img62a809bbd3ed0.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

large.IMG_5030-2.jpg.6de65438f7bcdc316d4large.IMG_5034.jpg.12d2f0c1b13a0e3117bbe

Lovely!

There's something about the shape of the dawn serpent that wants to put it hugging a tree, I did too with mine XD

I'm going to share my F&S entry here too:

mcpFY6n.jpg

YmkDMoM.jpg

Didn't even get close to win anything, I think the mini and the idea was pretty nice, but all the others in the category were nicer XD. Pic didn't help either (i presented the white bg one)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Diddick said:

Lovely!

There's something about the shape of the dawn serpent that wants to put it hugging a tree, I did too with mine XD

I'm going to share my F&S entry here too:

mcpFY6n.jpg

YmkDMoM.jpg

Didn't even get close to win anything, I think the mini and the idea was pretty nice, but all the others in the category were nicer XD. Pic didn't help either (i presented the white bg one)

I honestly preferred yours to the other Misaki - no lie. I really liked the color scheme and the reflection on the weapon.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, Hawkoon said:

Interesting choice of colours!

And the most important question: pile of shame shrinking? How?

Mine just keeps growing... Like a hydra, every time I finish one model, atleast 2 more models magically appear in the pile...

Cheers! I try and add a splash of the faction colour to all Malifaux models (for Bayou just…brown). 

The pile of shame is growing, but the Malifaux pile of shame is shrinking. I can justify more toys to myself/my partner if everything from a particular game is painted…and I want more Malifaux!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I honestly preferred yours to the other Misaki - no lie. I really liked the color scheme and the reflection on the weapon.

thanks! now I gotta ask the admins to add a "❤️" to the quick reactions ^^

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have to admit, June is not treating me well. There is a lot going on currently on many fronts in my life, so painting became the last thing to care about. 

I am very slowly progressing with my buddy's smurf which I plan to finish by the weekend. I will pledge Youko only for the rest of the month, totaling a 20 soulstone for June (if I understand that the smurf counts for 5).

Have some work in progress photos, he is still missing shading on his left arm and the gun. I also officially bow down to everyone mastering edge highlights, this was a nightmare. 

First layer of coats and edges, first layer of shading:

IMG_20220610_160236.thumb.jpg.9cd442545844fb40a2393d5d4e0e9ca1.jpgIMG_20220610_160240.thumb.jpg.fe651e0fde042c54b9a7c0db1f023402.jpg

Current state, with more shading, highlights, edges somewhat cleaned up, base completed. Missing: finishing the backpack, shading on both arms, left pauldron and gun:

IMG_20220616_094617.thumb.jpg.b96a163e1d1c00e137f4f2156e89889a.jpgIMG_20220616_094635.thumb.jpg.b17ab662b357067f9249c024893fc8e3.jpg

• Like 4

Pardon for the duplication, but I actually got my hands on a bunch (320 pieces + 25 in fact...) of condition markers and scheme markers. They need to be painted as well. Do they amount to the challenge as well? I'll leave them as long as I am able as the sheer amount of them unnerves me at the moment.