Jack Daw: ensouled

Thatguy

7 minutes ago, touchdown said:

Control Daw seems fun. Average model with staggered needs a 10 or you're kidnapping it. Anger Issues seems super annoying and fun.

Also you could bring him as a 2nd master with the Viks and Kenshiro and turn those pushes into moves.

Kenshiro's Push -> Move only affects Mercenary/Retainer models, so pretty limited use for Daw unless you curse your Mercenary models and then deal with Hazardous that is affecting your friendly models.

Kidnapping an enemy model that has Anger Issues and dropping next to something that wanted to activate next could give some decent indirect activation control to Daw.

• Thanks 1

Unquiet Soul having no resist seems like a cool way to finish off models that have annoying defense tech. 

He seems really great at sucking. Models back into Montressor's stagger aura. 

Not sure about the new Enforcer. He seems survivable bring able to use distracted as Armor +2. Ranged Stagger and Distracted is cool. But the crew has a lot of ranged stagger already. Maybe a tech pick against match ups with lots of concealing?

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Unquiet Soul having no resist seems like a cool way to finish off models that have annoying defense tech. 

He seems really great at sucking. Models back into Montressor's stagger aura. 

Not sure about the new Enforcer. He seems survivable bring able to use distracted as Armor +2. Ranged Stagger and Distracted is cool. But the crew has a lot of ranged stagger already. Maybe a tech pick against match ups with lots of concealing?

Doesn’t look like Auguste can put up enough distraction on himself to have “Armor+2” often. I think he’s more of a tech pick against scheme marker heavy crews, not needing to spend a resource to control enemy Interacts is nice. The -1 Wp doesn’t help much vs concealing when you flip with a negative and hit a weak.

Auguste doesn’t really have much Distracted synergy to exploit in outcasts either. Mainly Hans and Rifleman, but they use Df duels. Compare that to Resser Daw who has the ability to bring Seduction or Projectile Vomit, and I’m beginning to wonder if the model was only created with a Guild/Resser mindset instead of all three factions.

15 minutes ago, Axelst said:

Outcast Daw also has access to projectile vomit.

Never really considered using them in Outcast, guess my brain made them OOK for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Axelst said:

Does Auguste really need Distracted synergy? He seems to mostly want it on himself, something few models will give him.

That’s really what Resser Daw has over Outcast Daw with Seduction giving the ability to hit Auguste for DR or additional damage, or enemy models to draw more cards.

Daw seems pretty interesting. I like the ability to drag models away via charging through them. I do wish he had Agile so he could use walk actions to move people around as well. Overall I'm glad he's steering away from staggered and more into board control. This makes the choice less obvious (but still highly recommended) when hiring in condition removal to counter him. 

Repressed Aggression is nice but less useful when targeting the same model. I'm thinking your going to want to try for those triggers every time if able as both seem really nice. Burst of speed getting double duty with last words is really nice. 

The Betrayer upgrade seems like it could be really nasty but more difficult to apply than his OG version. I could see it being somewhat mitigated by a model simple disengaging and focusing without really sacrificing much.

Seems odd to me that Draw Them In is friendly only given how his upgrade works. This really seems specifically suited for Montressor as once they get stuck with staggered, they're going to have a real tough time getting away.

Unquiet Soul feels like it should be a free action. Un-resisted damage is great but the heal portion of it seems pretty bad for a master action. Maybe it's worth it in a pinch. I don't know, this seems like a pretty niche ability.

Cursed dreams is nice and likely going to see more use than his OG free action. Its a shame it doesn't work on himself though.  

As for Auguste. I wonder if his Exclusive Interview works with the This Will Fetch a High Price ability on the Soldier for Hire upgrade? The wording is a bit weird but it could be funny if it did actually work. Not sure its actually worth it however.

Overall he seems decent on his own but not really something that works particularly well with Daw

• Like 1

I'll probably go with Back in Jack over the original by default. He plays better with my toolbox-y approach to the game and plays better with the utility pieces I like to bring - Crooked Men, Dead Outlaws, Jaakuna - while also being able to flex more in hiring because he's way less card hungry.

Hit the Road Jack I'd probably bring if the table was well set up for the sort of jump scare skirmishing he does so well, or if the schemes/strat/matchup just scream double Hanged.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rule of thumb in 2e was that damage was nice but movement won games. I think that's less true in 3e but being able to pick your battles is still super helpful.

I hate the all-in approach Daw1 favors and 2 plays the skirmishing/isolation game better so I'll probably always run him. Good to have different styles I guess.

• Like 1

Both Jacks options rely on terrifying as a defence mechanism so if ur opponent can counter this he’s still a bad pick into certain factions ie 10Ts, Guild, Bayou & Ressers; it’s a shame imho but he’s still limited as a pick for this reason, luckily OCs have plenty of good master option as one of the most, if not the most balanced factions imho