Waldo's Weekly - Like a Rolling Stone

MattM

54 minutes ago, Reservoir Dog said:

Im probably being thick here, but if the marker is impassable then I dont understand why it's also hazardous? Do you suffer damage if you're just in base contact with it? 

Yes.

6 hours ago, Reservoir Dog said:

Im probably being thick here, but if the marker is impassable then I dont understand why it's also hazardous? Do you suffer damage if you're just in base contact with it? 

5 hours ago, Ming said:

Yes.

Is it really the case?

There are 2 words in the rule book to describe distance between a model and a terrain:

in the terrain: when a model's base is overlapping the terrain.

within 0" of the terrain: when the model's base is touching the terrain, either directly next to or overlapping the terrain. A.k.a. base contact.

According to the rule book, a model suffer effect from Hazard terrin moved through or resolved an action while in the terrain. So the question here is: "Is a model considered as in the terrain when it is base contact with it?"

If is was a yes, then in the case of Geode Marker, a model in base contact with it would mean it was in the Hazard and Impassable terrain. It does not sound right to me that a model can be stand in an Impassable terrain. Also, considering that a model start or end a placing effect in a terrain is treated as the model have moved through the terrain, that, in the terrain = base contact with the terrain, would also mean a model cannot place from nor to a position that is base contact with an Impassable terrain. It would be a huge mistake that lots of players (I guess so) would had made from the start of M3E.

I think the Geode Marker being Hazard and Impassable at the same time is for other models within the keyword may need the terrain trait for their Abilities and/or Actions.

ps: It is still possible to deal the Hazard effect to a model by pushing Geode Marker to base contact with that model, nothing happen, however, if a model is pushed to base contact with the Geode Marker.

Edited by Rufess

Keep in mind that if that "Impassible, Hazardous" marker got moved, the Hazardous Marker rules say that anyone who contacted it would trigger the hazardous effect.

A model just moving into base contact with the hazardous terrain wouldn't trigger the effect until it managed to "move through it", which you're not allowed to do for Impassible.

The rules don't appear to be symmetric about that at the moment.

That's a very solid 6 stone model.  I like the damage and control options for geomancy themed minions.
Plus some very cool art.

1 hour ago, SoylentRobot said:

Pythagorean Quake: Are the models that form the corners of the triangle also within the triangle? are the triangle's points from the centre of those models' bases or from the edge of their bases? maths is hard!

I would probably define the edges of the triangle via the same methods that you would use to check for line of sight.  But that's just personal opinion.
I agree that the ability could do with a little bit of clarification to avoid mid-game arguments.

My first thought - Earthbenders from Avatar. Second thought aquired from friend - Fullmetal Alchemist!

Quite strong option for lot of ping damage with two sources of hazardous and almost guaranteed mask for melee (2" range in very nice and blasts in each damage step - pure coolness) for mass hysteria. Catch 2+ models and that will be great amount of damage. On the other hand they are slow, and doesn't have good df/wp stat. Everything depends of the rest of the crew, especially options in keyword and ook for:

-card draw

-source of healing

- movement tricks to help them for their 4mv.

Syndicate tempts me so much....

• Like 1