Waldo's Weekly - Waiting for Blood

mattc

1 hour ago, Doomikov said:

Nothing like finding out all the schemes and stats less than a month before a major tournament. Can't wait to be totally confused at Adepticon when these actually release. 

I'll be right there with you fumbling my way along through these schemes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doomikov said:

Nothing like finding out all the schemes and stats less than a month before a major tournament. Can't wait to be totally confused at Adepticon when these actually release. 

I agree - the joy of learning the newness all at the same time, and the chance to reset the advantage of experience a little is something I would like before all my tournements.

(I think my outlook of the game is different to yours and probably many others. I build a fresh crew every game, so I like that people will also have to do this rather than just sticking with the same turf war list they played for the past 6 months. I like no-one knowing the strats and schemes before an event and having to build based on them at the table. I like it when T.O.s throw in old starts and scheme mixes from old gaining grounds that people haven't played in ages. I am aware some others don't like this, but I do ).

And when ever they were released, someone would complain about it being just before a "big" tournament.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Adran said:

I like it when T.O.s throw in old starts and scheme mixes from old gaining grounds that people haven't played in ages.

Haven't played in ages? M3E is less than a year old and already they're changing GG. Why implement new changes so close to a major tournament though? I mean Bushido has new season cards that just released as well and the TO said they would not be legal at Adepticon because it's too close to the tournament and some people might not get a chance to use them before then. 

Does this mean we will get new seasons twice a year instead of yearly? Or even before every major tournament to reset the experience level? That would be pretty cool to have new ones at Gencon. Also lets brew up a few new ones right before Nova while we're at it. 

23 hours ago, Doomikov said:

Haven't played in ages? M3E is less than a year old and already they're changing GG. Why implement new changes so close to a major tournament though? I mean Bushido has new season cards that just released as well and the TO said they would not be legal at Adepticon because it's too close to the tournament and some people might not get a chance to use them before then. 

Does this mean we will get new seasons twice a year instead of yearly? Or even before every major tournament to reset the experience level? That would be pretty cool to have new ones at Gencon. Also lets brew up a few new ones right before Nova while we're at it. 

Fair point. I was refering to M2e events I played where the T.O. would put a round in with older strats and schemes, possibly combinations that hadn't been together before.

I don't know what the definition of Major tournament is. The US system is pretty different to the UK system, and on size a lot of the events held in the UK are bigger in terms of participants than a lot of the big convention events held in the US (that I know the numbers at). And its up to the organisers at the events if they want to use the newer rules or not.

EDIT _ as I understand it this is 1 of only 2 events Wyrd is actually running this year (Gen con being the other). Surely it makes most sense for them to release new rules before an event they are running as they will be on hand to deal with any confusion.

This was Kyles words on why it was called Season 0 (And so now season 1) rather than yearly.

No, this does not mean that you will be receiving four Gaining Grounds documents a year. Generally, they’ll continue to stay on the yearly schedule, but there may be instances where an Encounter pool wasn’t as exciting as we had originally hoped. By utilizing a Seasonal system rather than simply a yearly rotation, it gives us the opportunity to freshen that pool a little faster.

1 hour ago, Doomikov said:

There's a "big tournament" almost every month/two months, so it would happen at some point (people play Malifaux outside the US). The only difference is that maybe it wouldn't affect you.

So you're pissed because you won't have an advantage over your rivals for having practising more with the GG0? GG1 looks really nice, at everyone would be at similar level of knowledge on the tournament due to the time constrains, so my personal advice: try to have fun and enjoy playing the game :)

10 hours ago, Adran said:

I don't know what the definition of Major tournament is. The US system is pretty different to the UK system, and on size a lot of the events held in the UK are bigger in terms of participants than a lot of the big convention events held in the US (that I know the numbers at). And its up to the organisers at the events if they want to use the newer rules or not.

quoted for truth. you knocked it out of the park. maybe people associate the cost of attending a tournament to it being "major". from what I can see, there are only 32 spots available at Adepticon. if those players were savvy enough to sign up in advance, they can also take the time to practice and read up on the rule news, since this is a "major" tournament.

does a "major" tournament count as any event that has a cap? does the UK scene cap out their "major" events, or do they not count?