Waldo's Weekly - Waiting for Blood

mattc

Hey Wyrdos,

It’s only once every 4 years that we experience a Leap Year, and this week Waldo is more excited than ever. You see, Waldo somehow got it into his head that February 29th is like Vegas, and nothing he does is going to have consequences. As such, this week Waldo’s been busy planning an entire day of debauchery, leaving our office relatively quiet for the time being.  

So, while Waldo is busy preparing for his magnum opus, let’s take a sneak peek at some upcoming content for the future of Malifaux Third Edition.

When working on new Strategies for Malifaux, the primary goals are to create fun, interactive Encounters that encourage choice in Crew building while not limiting players to one specific path to victory. Let’s start with a blast from the past that’s been given new life in M3E: Symbols of Authority.

WW0226_Symbols-of-Authority_Card.jpg

Symbols of Authority has been revamped to fit the new design of the game while keeping the theme equal offense and defense that made it such a popular Strategy during its release in Gaining Grounds 2018. These themes are primarily accomplished through clever mobility and positioning. The same themes present in Symbols of Authority show up in a multitude of different ways. Take Recover Evidence, for example:

WW0226_Recover-Evidence_Card.jpg

Recover Evidence has players fighting back against their enemies who have gathered intel on their Crew while defending their own evidence. This Strategy has an emphasis on Strategic combat, keeping key models alive while focusing your enemies down one at a time and leaving yourself time to reclaim their stolen intel.

Now cereal without milk is a bit dry, and the same goes with Strategies without Schemes, so let’s take a quick look at one of the new Schemes introduced with Gaining Grounds Season One: Runic Binding.

WW0226_Runic-Binding_Card.jpg

While this is just a small taste of what’s to come with Gaining Grounds Season One, you can look forward to its full release next week. For those who want a few secrets on where some of the ideas for GG1 came from (along with other fun tidbits and designer insights) look for an upcoming Third Floor Wars podcast featuring special guests -us!

The Malifaux community is thriving and if you want to catch up on new changes and discussions you should check out some podcasts made for and by the Wyrd Community, from the more mechanical focused Third Floor Wars  and Schemes and Stones podcasts to other more story and lore driven work like Steam Powered ScoundrelsSoulstory, or even our own Breachside Broadcast!

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, farmoar said:

Why do you think Reckoning is gone? Those new ones are Tomes and Masks (currently Plant Explosives and Corrupted Idols, respectively)

Aw crap.... Reckoning is back on the menu!  This sucks.

51 minutes ago, farmoar said:

Initial knee-jerk reaction: big buff to Colette/Arcanists/Outcast Emissary, big nerf to Resurrectionists 😞

why do you think it's a Ress nerf? Symbols can become Molly's signature Strategy, as Planted Explosives used to be. Also, the value of Lure seem to increase due to the Recover Evidence and Runic Biding.

Edit:

18 minutes ago, farmoar said:

That's true. I hope either Reckoning or Turf War get the boot though, as they feel very similar.

I feel that they are going to replace all strategies, as new ones have different "philosophy" of scoring: in GG0 you had to put more effort to get each succesive point (kill one model to get first point, two to get second etc.), here you simply have to do the same thing every turn.

Edited by thatlatinspeakingguy

13 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

why do you think it's a Ress nerf? Symbols can become Molly's signature Strategy, as Planted Explosives used to be. Also, the value of Lure seem to increase due to the Recover Evidence and Runic Biding.

not a single model with Don't Mind Me in faction.

1 hour ago, farmoar said:

not a single model with Don't Mind Me in faction.

Yeah - Don't Mind Me becomes huge in Symbols. The only counter play is to kill those models. 

I liked the progressively harder model for Strats. Sad to see that go. It made it so you couldn't just coast through to get points. Will have to wait to see the full release. The 'Friendly-controlled' has me a bit confused. Does that mean Obeys don't work? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, farmoar said:

That's true. I hope either Reckoning or Turf War get the boot though, as they feel very similar.

I think Turf War will probably stick around.  It's been around since the olden times and it's a pretty standard, balanced strategy that favors both murder and mobility.

Runic binding seems... fiddly and in need of clarifications on release.  We're officially in the territory of calculus and trigonometry. 

38 minutes ago, Nagi21 said:

Runic binding seems... fiddly and in need of clarifications on release.  We're officially in the territory of calculus and trigonometry. 

I'm unsure what the confusion is.

The only thing I see that isn't self explanatory is whether we use the edges of the scheme markers or their center points.

2 hours ago, Nagi21 said:

Seems simple enough.   Any 3 scheme markers on the table will always make a triangle unless they are in a perfectly straight line.  Any other situation they will make a triangle.

If any 3 are within 10" of each other (That to me means each of the 3 has to be within 10" of both the others.  Only part I see that can be slightly confusing) you take the triangle and see if there are enough enemy models inside. Done.

Worth noting that you can make a square or a hexagon, if you want, as long as all corners are within 10" of each other - it's 3 or more Scheme Markers.

2 hours ago, Tors said:

[Measuring from edge or centre of marker] covered by basic measurment rules

Which is it? Don't have my book handy.

I'm happy that Recover Evidence and Symbols of Authority are back, though it is interesting that Evidence messes with some crews' core mechanic so seriously. Tara's going to have a tough day, and I suppose it goes some way to nerfing Soulstone Miners.

13 minutes ago, DuBlanck said:

Worth noting that you can make a square or a hexagon, if you want, as long as all corners are within 10" of each other - it's 3 or more Scheme Markers.

*makes a disgusted face like a tiny teddy about to make a hairball on the carpet*

Then I hope Harness the Leyline and Power Ritual aren’t there any more!

Recover Evidence completely neuters Obliteration to the extent that I would never play that keyword into that strategy. 

At least make it so that you can still bury but if any Intel markers are buried at the end of the turn, they count as buried. Although that would give offensive burying a fair buff... Not sure, but Obliteration (and in particular, The Nothing Beast) does not like the current version... Not at all!