Let's get Presidential (Ironsides/M&SU Tactica)

On 12/21/2019 at 2:27 PM, AskM3L8r said:

I've been considering exploring that option just for esthetic fun crew. Have SRM and Amina in Collette crew to have a "Dancing Bear".

*Presto Chango*

Check this list:

• Colette, dove(x3), Duet, Myranda (SSC), Amina, SS miner (MT), Mobile Toolkit. 4SS.

I didn't like the idea of Amina in that crew until the recent Colette Thread, but I'm starting to see the potential of that. Presto chango in range of Horned Bear and a duet, one or both of them with fast could be too much "Dancing" for any model(s) swapped.

Or even better, do that in turn 1 and in turn 2 swap 1 enemy model for the Duet; so the swapped model ends in range of the dancing bear and the Duet get also in range of good targets, the duet well buffed with Fast, Shielded+2 and Focused+2/+3 (it could be stacked even higher, up to +5 or even +7 pushing it) for maximum dancing performance of course. Very unorthodox Colette crew tho.

If you test it tell me how it goes :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So been in a bit of a rut with my core crew almost always consisting of Amina, Fitz, and Howard. The gist of it, obviously, being to keep the steam bubble up as much as possible and grind things against it. This works for a lot of situations but still lacks in a lot of places and against certain masters/keywords. I'm going to start branching out more and trying a few ideas. I think Toni can do a pretty good Injury spam list, as well a 'wall of bodies' idea I have floating around. I'll keep you posted.

Fun bits of 'Oh this works really well' from my last tournament: Steamfitters are clutch for emergency healing Howard and the Mechanical Rider. Being able to charge a guaranteed 2 health into your construct buddies cannot be understated.

As fun as the Emissary's main attack is, I find his tactical to be just as useful in several situations. Mainly bubble busting and hurting groups (especially incorporeal). Still didn't save me in a game against Dreamer, but I know now know the weaknesses of my usual builds against him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 2:16 AM, Ogid said:
  • Colette, dove(x3), Duet, Myranda (SSC), Amina, SS miner (MT), Mobile Toolkit. 4SS.

@Ogid

I ran this crew on Parker loss 5- 6 Idols with Corner Deployment 

My biggest struggle was having more insignificant models than significant ones. 

The other pain was not sharing a key word. 

I got 3 on Idols 1 for deliver the  message and  1 for  take prisoner 

She got 3 idols 2 power ritual and  1 take prisoner.  

She called prisoner on SS Miner and I called it on her Bayou Smuggler and they engaged each other.  We were denied the second point on each other (short version) 

Think harness the ley line,  dig their graves were also in the pool ( I didn't recall those)

This was a very handicapped crew.  Amina was killed early and Mad Dog went after the Duet.

Wasn't as painful as the last run I used Collette against Parker. In more experienced hands with a different Strategy I think this could work. Following a few other threads and chats,  I might have an idea on how to do better  with Collette and the birds.  Thank you @Kaiser Senpai. Wish I had caught your Toni Collette team up before I played with this crew.

IMG_20200216_143346.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Strangedane said:

Been away from Malifaux almost since the launch of m3e - are there any indication of when her core box will be released?

Core box is out and about (currently sold out on the web store). None of her supplemental stuff is available, though, so she's kind of unplayable without previously owning her keyword or lucking into a bunch of M2E boxes.

3 hours ago, Kaiser Senpai said:

Core box is out and about (currently sold out on the web store). None of her supplemental stuff is available, though, so she's kind of unplayable without previously owning her keyword or lucking into a bunch of M2E boxes.

Weird, some places had it as preorder 🤔

So I'm just getting started with Toni, and the person I play the most (often twice a week) plays Neverborn. I foresee good things against most of his crews I've faced, except Pandora! Does anyone have some good advice bringing the Toni bubble against that crew? Pandora loves blasting bunched up crews, and handing out a lot of stunned. Stunned (which woe's hand out like candy) seems terrible on Toni, turns off her df trigger and ruins her damage track that relies on triggers too.

So I don't want to shy away from picking Toni against Neverborn, I just need  a game plan for dealing with them. I have some ideas, but if anyone has some experience to share that would be great!

1 hour ago, Peturd said:

So I'm just getting started with Toni, and the person I play the most (often twice a week) plays Neverborn. I foresee good things against most of his crews I've faced, except Pandora! Does anyone have some good advice bringing the Toni bubble against that crew? Pandora loves blasting bunched up crews, and handing out a lot of stunned. Stunned (which woe's hand out like candy) seems terrible on Toni, turns off her df trigger and ruins her damage track that relies on triggers too.

So I don't want to shy away from picking Toni against Neverborn, I just need  a game plan for dealing with them. I have some ideas, but if anyone has some experience to share that would be great!

Not sure if you bought her M2E box or not. If you did then you likely have some Ox Mages which can be an effective condition removal option for Toni since her crew tends to bunch up to be within the aura range of the mage. The effigy is a cheaper (but less effective) condition removal as well. 

Another tech pick could be Raspy or Joss due to their ruthless. However neither option is cheap. 

In terms of M&SU. While they do suffer from bunching up, they also have a pretty effective counter themselves in the form of unionized. They are one of the better crews to get around manipulative/terror which is Woe's main form of defence. Use Toni to pull out key threats and gunsmiths to focus them down with puncture shots. 

24 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Not sure if you bought her M2E box or not. If you did then you likely have some Ox Mages which can be an effective condition removal option for Toni since her crew tends to bunch up to be within the aura range of the mage. The effigy is a cheaper (but less effective) condition removal as well. 

Another tech pick could be Raspy or Joss due to their ruthless. However neither option is cheap. 

In terms of M&SU. While they do suffer from bunching up, they also have a pretty effective counter themselves in the form of unionized. They are one of the better crews to get around manipulative/terror which is Woe's main form of defence. Use Toni to pull out key threats and gunsmiths to focus them down with puncture shots. 

WOW! I got the M3E box, so I haven't really read the Oxfordian Mages card. I always loved those models too. That is a super good pick! The problem I was facing when looking for tech picks was the effigy seemed like a smart move except in practice I figured if I activate it to remove stunned on Toni or a gunsmith, that just makes whoever got it removed target #1 for a Pandora's next activation to do what's needed to get it back on. So even in range of Candy, I can choose to gain stunned, first, then remove it from the Mage!! 

I looked at pulling in Raspy, and Ironsides can actually taunt her along to make up for her slow speed a bit. But that's a big points investment (and I'm still waiting on my M3E box for Rasputina anyway).

But yeah, M&SU looks very solid against most of the terror spam and wp tests not just for Pandora, but against Dreamer and Zoraida as well. And the Union Miners/Soulstone miners will annoy Titania and Euripides a lot too!! Union miners especially with the push before the pulse to remove underbrush and ice pillars. I'm excited to start getting some games in with the crew!!

As mentioned before, terrifying and pulses are heavily mitigated by Unionized. Oxfordian Mages help with the ambient removal, but also remember Toni can remove it herself with her bonus action. Also note 

Union Miners and Howard ignore Candy and Pandy's Df triggers. Amina can put out Adversary at range (worth the stone needed) to circumvent Candy's Manipulative. Concealment is amazing. Both Candy and Pandy have no melee attacks, so have to focus or stone to have a chance at hitting you. Also Howards steam still plinks those two.

Don't discount Elijah. He's cheaper than Raspy, or Joss, hits like a truck, and has indirect damage through blade rush and burning. While there's no pyres to protect him, you have decent healing options, and can safely put burning on him with miners.

Lastly, remember that triggers are declared when totals are finalized. If someone puts stunned on you with an action, that stunned will not apply to the duel you're currently resolving.

Overall yeah, Toni is a pretty safe pick into Neverborn. The worst matchup is possibly Dreamer simply because Insidious Madness's Scatter is unresisted and if he forces through a Wp attack, your bubble is in danger.

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:46 AM, AskM3L8r said:

@Ogid

I ran this crew on Parker loss 5- 6 Idols with Corner Deployment 

My biggest struggle was having more insignificant models than significant ones. 

The other pain was not sharing a key word. 

I got 3 on Idols 1 for deliver the  message and  1 for  take prisoner 

She got 3 idols 2 power ritual and  1 take prisoner.  

She called prisoner on SS Miner and I called it on her Bayou Smuggler and they engaged each other.  We were denied the second point on each other (short version) 

Think harness the ley line,  dig their graves were also in the pool ( I didn't recall those)

This was a very handicapped crew.  Amina was killed early and Mad Dog went after the Duet.

Wasn't as painful as the last run I used Collette against Parker. In more experienced hands with a different Strategy I think this could work. Following a few other threads and chats,  I might have an idea on how to do better  with Collette and the birds.  Thank you @Kaiser Senpai. Wish I had caught your Toni Collette team up before I played with this crew.

IMG_20200216_143346.jpg

parker is one of the most weak masters in 3e, against him take captain and models with armour like envy; never take fitz to toni, he is useless; steamfitter, howard, amina, rider are models that u need

• Respectfully Disagree 2

1 hour ago, dannydb said:

whats wrong with fitz? he makes your crew tankier, he can remove and drop schemes at range and his melee attack is pritty good even if nothing special 

for the model with cost 8 he do nothing: aura is good, but all his actions are very bad; so u prefer spend 8ss for model that would only reduce dmg if model is in aura, or have that 8 ss for another good models-henchman or ss user?

7 hours ago, Peturd said:

Parker is not the weakest master in 3E by a LONG shot! Countering his crews damage isn’t a big deal. If you want to do damage you don’t show up with Parker. You use Bandits to win on points, and gg0 they were amazing. Still decent in gg1

no, parker is too weak; its very easy to win games against him

• Respectfully Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Plaag said:

for the model with cost 8 he do nothing: aura is good, but all his actions are very bad; so u prefer spend 8ss for model that would only reduce dmg if model is in aura, or have that 8 ss for another good models-henchman or ss user?

so yes his back of card suffers for how good his front of card is but that doesn't mean he's a bad model 

Picket line might be pritty poor damage but it's realy reliable at essentially stat 6 positive a lot of the time

Arson is amazing for removing scheme markers at long range. if it does damage thats a bonus but essentially its a 6 to remove a scheme marker at 10 inches, thats the key bit 

Interrogate has its uses. i don't use it often but ironsides doesn't have much card draw and card discard can be horrible for some crews 

I didn't start the fire isn't great, but if they have burning for some reason its a great way dropping schemes. its great vs kaeris and reva.    fire golems hate it

1 hour ago, dannydb said:

so yes his back of card suffers for how good his front of card is but that doesn't mean he's a bad model 

Picket line might be pritty poor damage but it's realy reliable at essentially stat 6 positive a lot of the time

Arson is amazing for removing scheme markers at long range. if it does damage thats a bonus but essentially its a 6 to remove a scheme marker at 10 inches, thats the key bit 

Interrogate has its uses. i don't use it often but ironsides doesn't have much card draw and card discard can be horrible for some crews 

I didn't start the fire isn't great, but if they have burning for some reason its a great way dropping schemes. its great vs kaeris and reva.    fire golems hate it

fire golem is bad model too

1 hour ago, frumpypigskin said:

Hey @Plaag, you sound like you've got some experience with M&SU under your belt. What's your preferred way of advancing the crew while staying unionised without being picked apart as you move up? In terms of Activation order and abilities etc. What does your turn 1 usually play out like? 

Thanks

i have played seweral times with msu, i took toni, hovard+cash, amina, rider+cash, steamfitter+train

just throw rider scrap marker, steamfitter gave 2 focuses to hovard, amin makes him fast and obey for went steam, so toni is waiting for target, if she dont find it-focuses, walk, the hovard run to enemy, trying to kill it, trying to win initiative to make attack+like the wind go back to crew for the second run

also u can take toolkit, but 5 ss is better

• Like 1

Alright. So I had a game with M&SU against dreamer the other day.  And admittedly, I could have made better choices. 

But just out of curiosity, what would you run against him? 

The pool was GG0 :Screenshot_20200823_125608.thumb.jpg.fd5e94dab6f9675cddb0d8c1f7e0dce8.jpg

And as you can see, I chose breakthrough and search the ruins. 

My list was: 

Toni ironsides 

Mouse (Totem) 

Amina.                 9

Rider + SS.         13

Joss                     11

Arcane emissary 10

And a pool of 7 stones. 

I went for joss due to his ruthless and access to irreducible damage, hoping to give both him and the emissary fast, with the ability to reactivate one of them through the rider from turn 2 onwards, trying to strike hard and fast, keeping an elite crew to dictate where the strategy markers would come down. 

The game did not go according to plan for a few different reasons. But out of curiosity. What would you guys pick into this pool versing Dreamer? 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:03 PM, Icebeard said:

Alright. So I had a game with M&SU against dreamer the other day.  And admittedly, I could have made better choices. 

But just out of curiosity, what would you run against him? 

The pool was GG0 :Screenshot_20200823_125608.thumb.jpg.fd5e94dab6f9675cddb0d8c1f7e0dce8.jpg

And as you can see, I chose breakthrough and search the ruins. 

My list was: 

Toni ironsides 

Mouse (Totem) 

Amina.                 9

Rider + SS.         13

Joss                     11

Arcane emissary 10

And a pool of 7 stones. 

I went for joss due to his ruthless and access to irreducible damage, hoping to give both him and the emissary fast, with the ability to reactivate one of them through the rider from turn 2 onwards, trying to strike hard and fast, keeping an elite crew to dictate where the strategy markers would come down. 

The game did not go according to plan for a few different reasons. But out of curiosity. What would you guys pick into this pool versing Dreamer? 

bad crew; joss is not effective without toolkit or focus stacking, emissary without up; u need to score vendetta and breakthrough

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

@Plaag, yeah it didn't work out the way I had planned it!  Realistically I brought too many models that want to use cards instead of support pieces. With the idea being that Toni uses "bring it" to isolate a target early on, and everything else working together to delete it. In this match the only thing in reach was Serena Bowman. But a couple of unfortunate flips combined with her survivability left her alive, even after the full keyword put attacks into her.  

I brought Joss due to the irreducible damage potential, but can see the point of him needing focus to really get swinging. 

Emissary without "up" I'm guessing you're referring to diesel engine? I left the upgrade off in order to push in obeys if need be. But that never really worked the way I planned it either. 

So, what would you replace / use model wise? I think one of the reasons I stuck with the scheme marker based schemes is due to my original thought of hiring in Colette as a 2nd master. To run scheme and anti scheme with the rider.  I made quite a few mistakes, some of them probably with taking a mismatched crew. Just curious what other people would take into a similar situation.