Daschel, what am I missing?

4thstringer

So I ran daschel last night and got the win, but during my game I felt like so much work.  Drop a scheme marker, then spend a mid-high mask and have a minion close enough to turn that scheme marker into an enemy scheme marker.  That does draw you two cards if you use the Stewie as that minion.  Then spend the high card (or high ram) to get a slow model out.  That feels really inefficient, as well as really fiddly.  If an opponent has ranged removal, you better do it behind a building or you aren't getting your summon that you put all that work into.

Or you could use one of the ranged drop it triggers.  Except unless you do that with daschel himself (putting him in a bad spot), that marker is even more removable than previously.   You also need to land a contested duel on a tome.

It just feels like a ton of potential failure points to summon.  Lots of spots to hit the black to basically ruin the one thing that makes daschel better than a 8 stone hench.

The only other strength I can see is it might prevent opponents from taking scheme marker schemes, but it's only once per turn, so even that is a maybe.

I just can't get a good feel for him.  Any help?

11 minutes ago, Legislat said:

He is indeed a lot of work but you cant dismiss the potential value. MG first turn is a huge, HUGE boon. Just take a Judge/Nellie/Lucius and a lawyer for a bit of help with cards and you are set.

I like the idea of the lawyer.  Should make it so I can find a mid mask to pick up.

I have never played against Dashel as a Leader, but I have faced Lucius+Dashel and Nellie+Dashel lists, and in both his summoning was fairly efficient: Lucius draws a lot of cards and Nellie simply makes your opponent drop their markers for you. In both scenarios my opponent was able to summon something big on turn one.

9 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

I have never played against Dashel as a Leader, but I have faced Lucius+Dashel and Nellie+Dashel lists, and in both his summoning was fairly efficient: Lucius draws a lot of cards and Nellie simply makes your opponent drop their markers for you. In both scenarios my opponent was able to summon something big on turn one.

I was able to make the summon, it just feels like a lot more work than I am used to facing when I have faced summoning opponents.  

Played roughly 10 games as Dashel

Dashel+LLC

Totem

Taggart Queeg

Rifleman(s)/Mounted guard/Executioner(s)

Lucius as 2nd

Without mask in opening hand turn 1 for Dashel is downish; of course executioners w/fast are terrifying minions in wedge, and rifleman with expert shot shoots everything. Sometimes i run Lucius as second to order some extra shots or 5actions potentiality to Exe (trail of gore is neat). If Totem goes down turn 1-2, you have a bad time tho. 

Dashel's power is enormous pool. You have model to summon for every situation. With 13Ram you can summon Warden and Patrol to defend that Warden. Ofc slow is slow, but we got Taggart hitting 1-2 dmg and Dashel shouting 0-action focuses to become fast. 

Worst case scenario is that opponent obeys your own models to smack totem (Zoraida is pain, TT with Trained ninja((stealth, From the Shadows to Samurai who has severe 6+free focus)) etc etc.) I would run 1 patrol in crew to secure totem from early sniping. 

I run mostly 6 stones to have that ram in turn 1 reinforcements, and i often call out few Patrols to take a hits->they die and become corpses->more stones. 1 game i started with 6ss and in 5 turns used like 14 (Dashel, Lucius and Taggart in crew). 

You give em some passes, but if opponents uses them, Lucius gives you a card. 

• Like 2

I think LLC on Dashel is waste since you only get +1 arm. Expert marksman is imo better option. 

As Dashel core i run:

DASHEL

Dispatcher

Stewie

Taggart

1 executioner

1 rifleman

Dashel doesn't need a lot of starting ss since his crew can get a lot of them during game. 

4 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

So I ran daschel last night and got the win, but during my game I felt like so much work.  Drop a scheme marker, then spend a mid-high mask and have a minion close enough to turn that scheme marker into an enemy scheme marker

Totem counts as an scheme marker so one less step here

On 7/24/2019 at 3:00 AM, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

How are you forcing enemy scheme marker drops with Nellie?

You can't force the enemy to drop markers, but most of the time they choose to drop markers when they have to take the interact action. When you can force them to drop a marker, it ends up being your marker.  

Most players forget they can use an interact action to remove all scheme markers in base contact even if they don't have any in base contact. 

Edit - drop it obviously does, but nellie can't force an enemy scheme marker. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Adran said:

Most players forget they can use an interact action to remove all scheme markers in base contact even if they don't have any in base contact. 

That's a good point! I wasn't aware of that. Anyway, in our game my opponent used Drop it! on Barker's pistol to force a marker and summon on turn one and it was the last instance of him summoning anything this game.

On 7/24/2019 at 2:03 AM, 4thstringer said:

So I ran daschel last night and got the win, but during my game I felt like so much work.  Drop a scheme marker, then spend a mid-high mask and have a minion close enough to turn that scheme marker into an enemy scheme marker.  That does draw you two cards if you use the Stewie as that minion.  Then spend the high card (or high ram) to get a slow model out.  That feels really inefficient, as well as really fiddly.  If an opponent has ranged removal, you better do it behind a building or you aren't getting your summon that you put all that work into.

Difficult to use Stewie as a minion coz he's an enforcer . . . but I get what you are saying. I tend to use the dispatcher as the scheme marker as well, costs a wound but less setup. You can also use a Sarg. to relocate the dispatcher with a 6" place as well, if you have a low tome.

3 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

I think the easiest way to learn the answer is to read Nellie's card.

Which forces an interact not a dropped marker, so any player with a brain will chose not to randomly drop scheme markers against Dashel...And if they do drop a scheme marker then they have a reason to, that outweighs the downsides (so probably pretty bad for Dashel).

It was a loaded question, anyone can read the card and get excited but some simple thinking through of the sequence shows that Nellie can’t actually force enemy scheme marker drops.

1 hour ago, Maladroit said:

Difficult to use Stewie as a minion coz he's an enforcer . . . but I get what you are saying. I tend to use the dispatcher as the scheme marker as well, costs a wound but less setup. You can also use a Sarg. to relocate the dispatcher with a 6" place as well, if you have a low tome.

Darn it you are right. So even trying to jump through all the hoops correctly I missed one.   Uggh.  I'm not sure he is for me.  I'm a pretty simple minded player.

3 hours ago, Adran said:

You can't force the enemy to drop markers, but most of the time they choose to drop markers when they have to take the interact action. When you can force them to drop a marker, it ends up being your marker.  

Edit - drop it obviously does, but nellie can't force an enemy scheme marker. 

I always make a point early in the game to remind me opponent that is an option.  I don't want to win based on ignorance of the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, midwifecrisis said:

An older, brief episode of TFW references some kind of combo between Queeg and Wardens but I haven't seen anything that stands out. This was also during open beta so perhaps something changed. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

It has changed. There was an aura that buffed only Wardens, but it does not exist anymore.