Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

Just now, JDAntoine said:

That's exactly what I was also thinking. I expect asset cards to either act as 'shields' or 'manouvres' and abilities. As you said, I think the Titans will have specific Wounds and I think the Commanders will have specific 'Look Out Sir' options to scoot damage over onto Fire Teams. 

Just guessing offcourse. It's also on a 6x4 table, so my previous 4x4 note was false. This suggests an even larger game as I initially suspected. 

I quite like trying to figure it out - been pouring over the faction video trying to understand and figure out as much as I can.  Probably mostly wrong, but it's a fun exercise.  The lack of a wound count or marker was something that stood out to me from the very start.

5 minutes ago, Manic Mouse said:

I quite like trying to figure it out - been pouring over the faction video trying to understand and figure out as much as I can.  Probably mostly wrong, but it's a fun exercise.  The lack of a wound count or marker was something that stood out to me from the very start.

Same here but it's logical. If you want to aim for a full scale army wound counters in general are a way to totally 'stop' what you are doing effectively. I enjoy Warmachine but as soon as you show up with 6+ Warjacks it becomes a bit obnoxious to keep track of all your damage AND put them on the right models. With things like cards/Assets it's done instantly so if our guesses are worth anything I'm a fan. The biggest selling point for me is the pre-assembled part though. It just cuts so much time.

One of the things I'm also dying to know is if Customeeple will make those 120mm tokens you need for this game. I could just grab my George Michael CD but I don't have a ton of them ;) 

Just now, JDAntoine said:

Same here but it's logical. If you want to aim for a full scale army wound counters in general are a way to totally 'stop' what you are doing effectively. I enjoy Warmachine but as soon as you show up with 6+ Warjacks it becomes a bit obnoxious to keep track of all your damage AND put them on the right models. With things like cards/Assets it's done instantly so if our guesses are worth anything I'm a fan. The biggest selling point for me is the pre-assembled part though. It just cuts so much time.

One of the things I'm also dying to know is if Customeeple will make those 120mm tokens you need for this game. I could just grab my George Michael CD but I don't have a ton of them ;) 

It would make a lot of sense, I also noted how it seems fairly easy for the Gibbering Hordes to summon models and how they have to kill their own models to flip to glory so I think we're right about it being fairly "one shot you're dead" kind of stuff, otherwise there's no way being able to summon so easily would work, and it wouldn't really be worth killing a unit just to get another to glory if it had a lot of wounds on it.

The champions can generally attach 2 upgrades and the titans three, but champions also have fairly decent Df stats.

12 hours ago, Manic Mouse said:

It would make a lot of sense, I also noted how it seems fairly easy for the Gibbering Hordes to summon models and how they have to kill their own models to flip to glory so I think we're right about it being fairly "one shot you're dead" kind of stuff, otherwise there's no way being able to summon so easily would work, and it wouldn't really be worth killing a unit just to get another to glory if it had a lot of wounds on it.

The champions can generally attach 2 upgrades and the titans three, but champions also have fairly decent Df stats.

Exactly, on top of that the beauty of hordes like that is that it allows for all the more fun.
I expect, like Malifaux, that the game isn't won on total oppossing obliteration but rather succesfully clearing objectives. The beauty of this is that in general numbers then matter less as the key objective remains in sight.

Obviously summoning models and destroying models of opponent armies makes clearing objectives more difficult for your opponent but that's only a means to get there rather than the main objective.
With both GW and PP wargames we see that the main objective actually is the global destruction of your opponent's army for the most part. So I think those strategies will make a bigger difference as they do in the other compagny games. Which is a good thing because it offers a very different game experience. 

11 hours ago, retnab said:

Maybe the Ar score (I assume Armor?) is their version of Wounds?  Though, that means some Commanders would have less health than some infantry, so maybe not...

I don't think there are wounds :), I do expect that unlike Malifaux you duel to Hit and you duel to Wound. So what I expect is that for the Hit one player has Ca/Sh/Ml and the other Df/Wp and for the Wound one player has  strength/St and the other armour/Ar, any numbers surpasing that duel are the number of wounds applied to Fire Team or model. 

In essence as Manic Mouse and I discussed a bit you could then have a game that revolves around 2-3 wounds, Commanders with Assets (up to 2), Titans with Assets (up to 3) and Fire Teams with single model wounds (up to 3 per Fire Team). 

All still assumptions offcourse!

28 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

Exactly, on top of that the beauty of hordes like that is that it allows for all the more fun.
I expect, like Malifaux, that the game isn't won on total oppossing obliteration but rather succesfully clearing objectives. The beauty of this is that in general numbers then matter less as the key objective remains in sight.

Obviously summoning models and destroying models of opponent armies makes clearing objectives more difficult for your opponent but that's only a means to get there rather than the main objective.
With both GW and PP wargames we see that the main objective actually is the global destruction of your opponent's army for the most part. So I think those strategies will make a bigger difference as they do in the other compagny games. Which is a good thing because it offers a very different game experience. 

I don't think there are wounds :), I do expect that unlike Malifaux you duel to Hit and you duel to Wound. So what I expect is that for the Hit one player has Ca/Sh/Ml and the other Df/Wp and for the Wound one player has  strength/St and the other armour/Ar, any numbers surpasing that duel are the number of wounds applied to Fire Team or model. 

In essence as Manic Mouse and I discussed a bit you could then have a game that revolves around 2-3 wounds, Commanders with Assets (up to 2), Titans with Assets (up to 3) and Fire Teams with single model wounds (up to 3 per Fire Team). 

All still assumptions offcourse!

The two duel mechanic would be interesting especially if the duel to wound is done using the weak, moderate, severe scheme which would mean you are less sensitive to big variations in the wound duel total. This would also go someway to reducing how easy it would be to kill the titan type units. It will also be interesting to see if as models are removed from fire teams if the damage they can do is reduced either by making ti hard for them to hit, harder for them to do damage or both.

This would potentially mean that rather than trying to outright destroy units you can reduce their effectiveness by removing models which would mean depending on the objectives you may want to spread your attacks to reduce the effectiveness of as many units as possible instead of trying to kill them off.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phinn said:

Will an actual gameplay footage be shown as well? As a part of Kickstarter promotional video for example or a short demo game on Wyrd's YouTube Channel.

+1 to that, even if it's just two models facing each other on a blank board having an idea of what the gameplay looks like would be super nice!

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

There are two videos you've not yet seen! :-O

You horrible, horrible tease! Although I expect we'll see more when the kickstarter goes live.

Fun fact: my wife, who's usually not interested in gaming kickstarters, is interested in this one. There might be two players in the house. (Sadly, our daughter's 8, and terrified of zombies and the like, so I don't think this is a game for her.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

I hope we get to see the models next to some Malifaux ones, im having trouble picturing just how big they are.

Don't stab me for it but the regular soldier seems to be the same size as the regular Malifaux model, as you know 40mm and 50mm bases have larger models.
I think it helps in tinking in terms like Johan (40mm) and Emissaries (50mm).

The Titans are outright massive, WarmaHordes Colossal/Gargantuan style. Picture for reference:

WvRxxtr.jpg 

• Like 2

One question about the cards for the models, are they finalized?  I was looking through what Glory gave to each of the 5 Cult models we've seen and I noticed it's really not apparent at first what's new.  Is it possible that the modified stats / triggers / abilities could be colour coded or given a symbol or something to indicate that they're Glory-only?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

Sounds like you better start posting them quick then :-p

I'd be willing to lay odds we'll see them as part of the kickstarter. (5 days, 21h, 32 minutes to go...)

On a divergent path, I'm wondering how 'big' a game will be. How many models are going to be on the table for a side? I'm expecting more than Malifaux, but are we talking more of a Warmahordes number, Battlemallet, more?

16 hours ago, JDAntoine said:

Don't stab me for it but the regular soldier seems to be the same size as the regular Malifaux model, as you know 40mm and 50mm bases have larger models.
I think it helps in tinking in terms like Johan (40mm) and Emissaries (50mm).

The Titans are outright massive, WarmaHordes Colossal/Gargantuan style. Picture for reference: 

*metal slug announcer voice* WOAH, BIG

39 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

*metal slug announcer voice* WOAH, BIG

Absolutely, after all this is a army game and not a skirmish game. If you want to break all restrictions, going bigger is the way to do it (model and model count). 

Other things I'm also really looking forward to in 2017 is the decks, token providers, options to interract, defense+/offense+ (stuff that's not on the cards), terrain interaction and logically the choice of implementing 'Area' damage. 

Then there is offcourse a size question I'd really like to see in the Kickstarter info :D

Hey I watched the faction video a third time and noticed something:

"Advanced Prototype: During Scouting, Attach up to two prototype assets per commander to units in this company, ignoring asset limits." (emphasis added)

You can have multiple commanders on the field at once. Also, the Frenzy is a 50mm model, which is only a third of the size of the titans. So I am wondering if he is a commander for the Hordes, as the "The" suggests that he is unique. Of course he could just be like the mortar man and be a unique unit. Although we don't know the mortar man isn't a commander yet so....

As well, if does seem that each faction has a different way of achieving glory, the empire have to kill an enemy, the hordes have to eat an ally, Abyssinia discard two cards, and the cult have to discard a pair of shaken tokens (which seem to be normally negative for some reason.) Personally I like this, games like warhammer would often have specific faction rules for each faction, so why not just have a card with all of them on it so that you don't have to look through a rulebook? It does make me wonder how future factions will acheive glory though, as the cards of rules woudl suggest more factions incoming.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Yeah, why people think being all shook up is bad is beyond me. There's nothing like being crazy to give you an edge.

My poorly articulated point was actually meant to point out that of all the options, it is the only one that brings a positive benefit. Having to kill an enemy or our own unit, or discard cards is something that you will have to strategize around, while discarding shaken tokens feels like something you will always want to do.

Of course I would guess that it is hard to gain more than a single shaken token a round, so you will have to be content with running models at lower effectiveness for a turn or two if you want them to enter glory. I do like how thematic it is though.