Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

I've been excited by this for a long time :D One question about the factions though, the faction blurbs describe them as basically King's Empire - ranged, Gibbering Hordes - melee, Cult of the Burning Man - magic/hit&run, but Abyssinia - mix?  Does Abyssinia have a general lean like the others, or is it the jack of all trades faction, generally speaking?

1 minute ago, retnab said:

I've been excited by this for a long time :D One question about the factions though, the faction blurbs describe them as basically King's Empire - ranged, Gibbering Hordes - melee, Cult of the Burning Man - magic/hit&run, but Abyssinia - mix?  Does Abyssinia have a general lean like the others, or is it the jack of all trades faction, generally speaking?

From their little blurb it mentions that their army are more elite, so stronger than average units but lower unit count maybe?

9 minutes ago, Nexus132 said:

From their little blurb it mentions that their army are more elite, so stronger than average units but lower unit count maybe?

I'm getting that vibe, too. It might make things harder in a game like Malifaux, but if for TOS they go with zones and flags as the objectives - which if you haven't played other games that use them, I would compare to a mixup of Turf War and Squatter's Rights but with varying locations - shoving elite units into those areas might be feasible versus swarm armies.

4 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

But it's King's Empire which has the giant stompybot we had a preview of months ago, I think. Which post I cannot find now, of course. :(

You can also see it in the header image for the King's Empire page. Maybe Abyssina will have smaller versions as well, though, and maybe even power armor equivalents?

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

You'll find out more about the Allegiances in coming weeks, which will give you a better idea about Abyssinia.

I think 4 Allegiances is a great way to launch a game :)

Well, if it's four, then I'm strongly leaning towards Abyssinia and looking forward to hearing more. Those soliders are just so rad lookin'.

2 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

I'm getting that vibe, too. It might make things harder in a game like Malifaux, but if for TOS they go with zones and flags as the objectives - which if you haven't played other games that use them, I would compare to a mixup of Turf War and Squatter's Rights but with varying locations - shoving elite units into those areas might be feasible versus swarm armies.

You can also see it in the header image for the King's Empire page. Maybe Abyssina will have smaller versions as well, though, and maybe even power armor equivalents?

I found the preview for the mini (or maxiature like someone else called it) once I looked in the right season. It was in June. Definitely the King's Empire's giant stompybot, which means I have got to wait for more playstyle info because there's two options for giant stompybots.

I found a page called the faction calculus a while back on tvtropes, and it seems to hold true now. (look it up it's a really interesting read)

1. Powerhouse: I have the feeling this will be Abysinia

2. Balanced: The king's empire

3:Subversive: The cult of the burning man

4: (normally this is the mages and their monsters, but this time it is solely the monsters) cannons, the gibbering hordes

I am kinda wondering if the breach is going to close again, it would be interesting to have both of these things seperate, I know this will be controversial, but it is difficult to have two games with different factions at once without stepping on any lore toes.

Not sure which side I like the most, Abysinia has buzzsaw robots, the cult has a dragon (i like dragons, and they remind me of Tzeentch, I like Tzeentch. Even if everyone I have met pronounces his name differently), and the gibbering hordes are Cthulhu tyranids.

1 hour ago, Veskit said:

so is there only going to be 4 factions total? or are there more than that in the pipeline?  Hard to sell a game that only has 4 factions....

Malifaux launched with 5.

Dropzone commander has 4.

Warmachine launched with 4.

X-Wing and Star Wars Armada launched with 2. X Wing players complained when the 3rd faction was introduced, and Armada players constantly complain about the possibility of another faction appearing.

I think 4 is fine at launch. More can always be added later.

• Like 4

My wallet aches in anticipation! It's going to be difficult to pick between these factions and I think the models themselves will have to be the deciding factor.

I am also a little surprised that the Three Kingdoms did not make an initial showing, but that gives you guys a solid contender for inevitable expansion down the road. 4 is a solid number of factions to start. Super excited for the Kickstarter launch!

• Like 1