Do you stick to one Master? Or one Faction? Or do it all?

Merellin

As I approach the completion of my first year of Malifaux, I play 2 factions: Arcanists and Rezzers. I have 4 masters (in playable form) for the Arcanists, and once I finish painting my Seamus box, I'll have 2 for Rezzers. Of course, I have Tara, Mei Feng, & Kaeris's crew boxes still unassembled, as well as the Crossroads Seven, so I could (after a bit of assembly & paint) field a 50ss crew in any faction....

I go for masters I like rather than entire factions. Neverborn contain the most masters I like - Lilith, Pandora, Zoraida, the Dreamer and Jakob Lynch. So far I'm missing Lynch and Zoraida, but that's because I'm finishing up getting all the models I want for Pandora, Lilith and the Dreamer. Gremlins are a close second, with So'mer, Ophelia and the Brewmaster. I don't have Ophelia yet, but she's on the list. I'll likely end up with Mah, but that's just because I want Trixibelle and the Bushwhackers.

Other factions I pretty much just like one or two masters. Arcanists I like Colette. I have the Dark Carnival and I'm strongly considering Colette as well, because I really like the models in both sets. That really just counts as one master though. Outcasts I love Jack Daw and Von Badass, but those are on the backburner while I paint more stuff. Ressers I really like Kirai, but that's it. Thunders, well, there's already two in the list. Guild I love Perdita, but that's it.

I've got no intention of buying masters I don't like unless they've got a henchman or minions in the box I really want, like Trixibelle and the Bushwhackers.

• Like 1

I have had a tendency to flit between Masters of all Factions on a regular basis, to the point where I have painted crews for, and have played more than 2/3rds of the Masters in the game. :) I've been much better lately and have just stuck with Ten Thunders for the past year, which is something I haven't done since v1.5 when I played Zoraida for 1.5 years!

Nominally I'm playing the entire faction, but realistically I favour two Masters - Misaki and Yan Lo. I like how they play, and they seem to cover most of the strategies/schemes I'm faced with. 

For the vast majority of my Malifaux experience, I have simply played Misaki.

Unfortunately, where I live, I wasn't on Malifaux back in 1E when it took off originally, and once 1.5 and 2E came around, most people who regularly visit the FLGS had moved on due to game-hopping (Like many people do, simply lose interest in the game, or the matches they keep playing).

So I got in around 1.5 when my friend introduced me, and he was really the only person who I had to play against.  I jumped in with The Thunders box, and for the longest time I didn't bother getting much of anything else because, it was only us playing, and only infrequently due to distance between us.

So I played Misaki for the past however long, since M2E came out, and only once Shifting Loyalties (And the Mordheim style campaigns) came out did I attempt to seek other players, mostly to no avail.  But I did play a game with Yan Lo against a person who worked at a FLGS, but shortly after he no longer worked there, so that was like, my only new opponent I found.

But mostly my interest rest with the 10T, when I do get a chance to play.  Other Factions are interesting, but I don't play nearly enough to want to branch out so soon.  My one friend I do play regularly, if infrequently, also keeps that mentality, with Neverborn being his choice of faction, although he switches up Masters far more than I do.

4 hours ago, -Loki- said:

I go for masters I like rather than entire factions. Neverborn contain the most masters I like - Lilith, Pandora, Zoraida, the Dreamer and Jakob Lynch. So far I'm missing Lynch and Zoraida, but that's because I'm finishing up getting all the models I want for Pandora, Lilith and the Dreamer. Gremlins are a close second, with So'mer, Ophelia and the Brewmaster. I don't have Ophelia yet, but she's on the list. I'll likely end up with Mah, but that's just because I want Trixibelle and the Bushwhackers.

Other factions I pretty much just like one or two masters. Arcanists I like Colette. I have the Dark Carnival and I'm strongly considering Colette as well, because I really like the models in both sets. That really just counts as one master though. Outcasts I love Jack Daw and Von Badass, but those are on the backburner while I paint more stuff. Ressers I really like Kirai, but that's it. Thunders, well, there's already two in the list. Guild I love Perdita, but that's it.

I've got no intention of buying masters I don't like unless they've got a henchman or minions in the box I really want, like Trixibelle and the Bushwhackers.

I'm the same way, when I was first trying to decide which faction to play I went by which had the most masters I liked - and Neverborn won out (with the exact same list as you! I think Lucius looks cool but hate his mechanics). Now of the faction, I very heavily favor Lilith and need excuses to NOT play her (:P), so I suppose I do have a certain favor for a single master. Now asides from Neverborn, the only Master I've been eyeing is Marcus really, esp. because he doesn't really play Arcanists so much as his own faction of Beasts. Spawn Mother + Cerberus + Blessed + Jackalope leap list looks hella fun to try!

I've hit a lot of them in a year. I don't focus well. I've run (likely in this order of frequency) Viks, Colette, Wong, Marcus, Brewmaster, Kaeris, McCabe, Ophelia, and Ironsides. I really enjoy trying out new things. I would love to be able to narrow my focus to 2-3 masters in one faction but haven't gotten there. Maybe if I liked another outcast master besides the Viktorias. They are my favorite but i'm not much interested in the other outcast masters. 

I've literally played one full game so far (heh), but I can tell I'm going to be poking at least two Factions as I started Neverborn (Lynch is my man) but have been eyeing the Freikorps and Von Schill *and* Levi and Co. heavily.. plus, still want at the least to pick up Pan and Lil for NB.....

When I first looked into Malifaux back when 1E was fresh I was strongly eyeing the Ressers, but I'm not sure I feel liek committing to a faction when I'm only interested in 1 primary Master (Namely Seamus); it's the same with the Arcanists largely ('Tina, in their case).

I went for a faction since I figured I wanted to use the same models between crews to keep cost and storage space down. In that faction I play more or less one master at a time and work my way through all the ideas and model combinations I think could work. Right now I'm starting to branch out into faction number two with a dual faction master to explore a different playstyle.

The fact that I hate playing unpainted and am a slow painter might have influenced my decision to move slowly and keep to one master at a time. I could never jump between masters and factions for that simple reason (I would love to because I have tons of models from other factions waiting to be assembled and painted).

I kind of go all over the place; generally I buy masters and miniatures for flavor and look first, I currently have 4 masters and I'm planning on buying at least 8 more,

The way I see it between putting the model together, proper basing and painting, you're going to be putting quite a bit of time and effort into your models, and it should be a model you love. Not one you buy just because "it's the best and its what the meta tells me I should buy". I know that's how some people play, and I'm not going to tell them they're wrong or they should stop doing it, but it's wrong for me.

right now the masters I have are Jack Daw, The Dreamer, Jakob Lynch and McMourning.