Tips and tricks against Leveticus

Sybarite

So what are your favourite shenanigans to pull against that annoying old man called Leveticus?

I've only faced him a few times and last game was very close.

But it got me thinking. Wouldn't the Mei Feng + Langston with 2x vent steam and steam cloud death ball be pretty nasty against him? It's very hard to shoot and cast into that bubble and it hits like a brick which should bother the anchors. Thoughts?

Raspu can be great since thanks to her abilty to launch spells through her models can reach Hollow Waifs easily. Marcus is nice too, because can control Leveticus and force him to use his (0) to sacrifice an undead or construct.

Steam Cloud seriously eats into Howard's offence so it's not something you'll have running for most of the game. While Mei can get hers from the trigger on Vapormancy that still cuts into her offence if you want to use the triggers from Seismic Claws. But I guess trading Mei's offence for Leveticus' is fair enough if you can predict what he wants to kill.

• Like 1

As Levi player word from other team :)

I saw how Captain pushed models:
- Waifs or anchors so Levi cannot unbury
- Friendly killers to kill waifs

Rasputina extended range is nice, but good Levi player should kill those models with Frozen Heart ASAP

Once when I had really bad hand, Kaeris used that attack agains HT and repositioned my crew badly.

if you are putting 3 negative flips then mei feng is not moving anywhere, really slowing the crew. 2 negative flips is 1 stone, 1 channel and hes back to evens can get the stones back fairly easily by killing stuff.

anything that can move the waifs or anchors is useful. performers, ironsides, the captain

also warding runes for removing built in suits (generally stops summoning of more abominations).

blasts are also useful to try and get the waifs, raspy is good for this and so is willie (especially if using mei feng and kang, so mostly undead/constructs so you get :+fate)

56 minutes ago, katadder said:

if you are putting 3 negative flips then mei feng is not moving anywhere, really slowing the crew. 2 negative flips is 1 stone, 1 channel and hes back to evens can get the stones back fairly easily by killing stuff.

Use first AP to railwalk where ever you want Mei, finish the RW with a Jackhammer Kick that triggers Vent Steam; then use the remaining two AP for either straight Vent Steam or Claws/Kicks that triggers it if you have the cards/stones for the suits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

Use first AP to railwalk where ever you want Mei, finish the RW with a Jackhammer Kick that triggers Vent Steam; then use the remaining two AP for either straight Vent Steam or Claws/Kicks that triggers it if you have the cards/stones for the suits.

assuming good placement of constructs/scrap markers and enemy

rail walk is only an 8" range and we are on about 1st turn so chances are an enemy will no be in 13" on turn 1. all for 1 attack.

if that were the case then with levi I would just charge mei instead and go for the 8 severe he has to dish out.

dont get me wrong, shes good and probably my favourite arcanist master at the moment, however if someone wants to get around vent steam they can, especially if its a master. also you then have to deal with alot of levis crew as well as levi (which in my case is when running him is 4 henchmen/enforcers)

27 minutes ago, katadder said:

rail walk is only an 8" range and we are on about 1st turn so chances are an enemy will no be in 13" on turn 1. all for 1 attack.

if that were the case then with levi I would just charge mei instead and go for the 8 severe he has to dish out.

dont get me wrong, shes good and probably my favourite arcanist master at the moment, however if someone wants to get around vent steam they can, especially if its a master. also you then have to deal with alot of levis crew as well as levi (which in my case is when running him is 4 henchmen/enforcers)

I'm not claiming it's a good tactic, or fun, but I don't think putting up 3 Vent Steam noticeably affects Mei's mobility, which was your initial objection.

I like fast models with Leap or models that ignore cover / can shoot with an in-built :+fate. I used the Captain vs Leveticus and he's okay, but that's kind of a russian roulette game, because the Captain is not terribly resilient (not vs Leveticus&Co. at least).
Have you folks ever tried Aionus vs Leveticus? Aionus+Imbued Energies, plus 3×Prompt from Colette or Alpha from Marcus. Is that an overkill?

2 hours ago, katadder said:

A single rail walk to a 30mm model or scrap counter lets Mei hit something, and move, up to 13" away (counting base lengths, and the auto triggered jackhammer kick). It's a pretty flexible tool to give her mobility and get up steam. 

Going back to generics, what do folks think is better/easier;

- kill the waifs (if so, how - shooting? leaping at them?) 

- move the anchors and/or waifs ?

- buff some defensive stuff on your crew?

- choose specific upgrades and / or models fr your crew that are especially survivable?

- something else ? 

4 hours ago, decker_cky said:

A single rail walk to a 30mm model or scrap counter lets Mei hit something, and move, up to 13" away (counting base lengths, and the auto triggered jackhammer kick). It's a pretty flexible tool to give her mobility and get up steam. 

yeah thats the range I said in the post you quoted. and yes it does make her flexible but its unlikely to get her into combat 1st turn.

4 hours ago, madaxeman said:

Going back to generics, what do folks think is better/easier;

- kill the waifs (if so, how - shooting? leaping at them?) 

- move the anchors and/or waifs ?

- buff some defensive stuff on your crew?

- choose specific upgrades and / or models fr your crew that are especially survivable?

- something else ? 

easiest is probably move the anchors/waifs 

then next easiest is kill the waifs, then the anchors.

buffing defences isnt great against levi as he can get around alot of them, and he also has a pretty mean punch that people forget sometimes when putting up clouds, auras etc

for something else you could put ice pillars (or their equivalent) between the waifs and anchors as iirc they still need LOS.

I always found Colette to be arcanists best answer for Levi. She has little concern of his lethality as she can laugh off any damage provided she has the scheme marker trail to do so. 

Prompt and disappearing act are also great methods of waif hunting as well as the threat of Cassandra (however admittedly she can be an easy target for Levi himself). The performers are also a great way to move anchors around. 

It's just very difficult to bully Colette.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2016 at 6:33 AM, Jordon said:

I always found Colette to be arcanists best answer for Levi. She has little concern of his lethality as she can laugh off any damage provided she has the scheme marker trail to do so. 

Prompt and disappearing act are also great methods of waif hunting as well as the threat of Cassandra (however admittedly she can be an easy target for Levi himself). The performers are also a great way to move anchors around. 

It's just very difficult to bully Colette.

Are you sure? he says his damage can't be prevented  reduced, her scheme marker trigger prevents reduces damage. 

(Edit Thank you bengt. I've added the right words, since they make a big difference to the actual rules)