Does Leap ignore disengaging strikes

Yeasir

Question

So I am brand new to Malifaux and loving it so far. I chose Marcus and he has served my well in my first couple games. One question that has come up is the one I just posted as my topic.

It doesn't say anywhere on the card that leap ignores disengaging strikes, but I am told that it does. Any insight into this?

Thanks! 

20 answers to this question

Disengaging strikes only occur if a model takes a specific action called a walk action. leap isn't a walk action, it is a action that allows them to move there Cg ignoring models and terrain. 

pg44 of the Big Rule book states ...Only a Walk action will provoke Disengaging strikes. leap by definition isn't a walk action therefore no disengaging strike is generated.

• Like 1

Makes sense for leap, but here's a question to throw a wrench in the works. Normally, charges can't be made while engaged, so obviously disengage strikes and charges don't interact... unless there's a specific rule that allows charges while engaged, such as Taelor's "Welcome to Malifaux." Does that mean that now charges can be made ignoring disengage strikes if they are allowed to be made?

It's a rare case, but it seems weird.

Charges are not a walk, so charges does ignore disengagement strikes. It also means you can charge through enemy engagement zones without provoking disengagement strikes.

Actually,  and this might be odd to consider, anyone can charge *through* an engagement zone or walk through an engagement zone with no problems.  It's only declaring a walk while engaged or declaring a charge while engaged that gets you into trouble.

Actually,  and this might be odd to consider, anyone can charge *through* an engagement zone or walk through an engagement zone with no problems.  It's only declaring a walk while engaged or declaring a charge while engaged that gets you into trouble.

What?

Its been quoted only WALK ACTIONS!!!! Provoke disengaging strikes. Charging does not. Misaki is free to charge who ever she wants if she is range and line of site of that model even if engaged.

What?

Its been quoted only WALK ACTIONS!!!! Provoke disengaging strikes. Charging does not. Misaki is free to charge who ever she wants if she is range and line of site of that model even if engaged.

Easy now. Not trying to start anything. Just pointing out that the rules regarding walk actions and disengaging strikes all involve beginning the action in the engagement range. Models can walk and charge through engagement ranges with no difficulty.

Easy now. Not trying to start anything. Just pointing out that the rules regarding walk actions and disengaging strikes all involve beginning the action in the engagement range. Models can walk and charge through engagement ranges with no difficulty.

Except you specifically said that if you charge while engaged you receive a Disengaging strike.

This is not true.

Usually you cannot charge while engaged.

But if you have an ability that allows you to do so, you will not receive a Disengaging strike. Because it is not a walk action.

I don't have my rule book handy, so a clarification I have is requested.

Is it the declaration of a walk action that triggers the disengaging strike or the walk action itself?

During the beta Terror tots used to move or place their model when they sprinted, and so were not subject to disengaging strikes. The final version of the tots has sprint cause them to walk, so I believe this means if a tot sprints, sprint causes them to walk, so they therefore can be stopped through disengaging?

*grumble* last time I loan out my rule book for a week.

Sprint is not a Walk action. The only thing that is a Walk action is the Walk action.

If you use Sprint, or a Charge (because you can somehow use Charge when engaged) or a special action that lets you move or push or be placed, and it's not the Walk action, there's no disengaging strike.

This is different than v1.5. But the rulebook is pretty clear. Walk actions cause disengaging strikes. Other actions, even if they feel similar to a Walk, do not.

M2E pg 186. (1) Sprint: This model immediately performs a Walk Action and then flips a card from its deck which may be cheated. If the card is a :mask, this model may immediately perform another Walk Action.

Sprint is not a walk action, but it makes the model perform a walk action, so surely that would result in a disengaging strike?

Cheers,

Woo.

We have been playing it that sprint provokes a disengaging strike as the tot takes a walk action.

Of course, if they fail the action due to the disengaging strike being successful, but flip/cheat a mask, they get a second attempt to escape too, as they then take a second walk action as part of the sprint.

In this way, a tot has a potential 4 attempts to disengage if it chooses to sprint twice and has the masks in needs.

Except you specifically said that if you charge while engaged you receive a Disengaging strike.

Actually if you read Clement's post he does not say that charging provokes a disengaging strike. He said:

Since the rules do not allow you to charge while engaged, what Clement wrote is technically correct, if possibly confusing, since you can infer that he meant a disengaging strike would be applied to a charge.

It says it right there in the post from Clement that YOU quoted.

"or declaring a charge while engaged that gets you into trouble".

As there are most certainly models that can charge while engaged, and he has said that they would provoke Disengaging strike, he is incorrect.

Some models can charge while engaged. None if them suffer a Disengaging strike because if it.

To say he didn't say that, then quote him saying that exact thing is quite odd.