Guild Lucius and his Guardsmen

psychogeek123

On 2/3/2017 at 7:55 PM, Ludvig said:

Haha, amazing! How big of a target did that emmissary have on it after you attached Diestro? :) I could see wardens paralyzing people on negatives as viable too.

Can you actually attach Diestro to the Emissary? I thought that only family models could have it. :huh:

Or does that require Abuela to make it family before using a terracotta warrior to change the upgrade? :P

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bakunin said:

Isn't that part if the appeal of Malifaux? That all-comers lists aren't the optimum choice? Stuff like Guard the Stash should work well for Guardsmen lists, the auras are big enough to cover both Stashes and Lucius can shift guys around to ensure VP.

Master Queeg should fit well with the models you listed. Getting to take (0) actions out-of-activation is nifty, especially when Dashel makes (1) Focus a (0). He also adds even more pushes to the Crew.

I will definitely be acquiring Queeg. I prefer to play "balanced" lists and by that I mean some ranged support, midliners (disruption mostly), and a frontliner or two. Here is my Goal:

2x Rifleman Ranged Fire Support

Dashal midline disruption, summoning

Executioner frontline aggressor

Queeq midline support

Terracotta back/mid support

Wardens mid/front agressors

Hounds Scheme runners/ harrassers

any suggestions or additions to the pool?

If you're already taking Surprisingly Loyal for the Terra-Cotta Warriors, maybe consider Mr. Graves? He isn't Guardsman, so he's less in-theme than you might want though.

Also Guild Pathfinder and Clockwork Traps might warrant a look. Queeg can have the Pathfinder summon or reposition off-activation, and Lucius can use the Traps as soul stone batteries with Devil's Deal.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bakunin said:

If you're already taking Surprisingly Loyal for the Terra-Cotta Warriors, maybe consider Mr. Graves? He isn't Guardsman, so he's less in-theme than you might want though.

Also Guild Pathfinder and Clockwork Traps might warrant a look. Queeg can have the Pathfinder summon or reposition off-activation, and Lucius can use the Traps as soul stone batteries with Devil's Deal.

Oh I like that! But yeah I will pass on graves. I am not a fan of his neverborn additions honestly.

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

@psychogeek

Austringers and pathfinders are very good guardsmen shooty models that bring more utility than riflemen (although usually with slightly less damage).

Riflemen do basically just shoot things, but I'll tell you that some commands from Lucius and they'll blow models off the table. Just don't let anything get close to them.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2017 at 7:11 PM, Erorior said:

Can you actually attach Diestro to the Emissary? I thought that only family models could have it. :huh:

Or does that require Abuela to make it family before using a terracotta warrior to change the upgrade? :P

That is exactly how you can do it. 

• Like 2

I think the Emissary is definitely an outstanding addition to melee heavy Lucius crews, even outside of the Diestro trick, both Brutal Conflux and Conflux of Tyranny go well with minion heavy crews.  With the trigger on a cage for all you can potentially be looking at healing 3 on all friendly minions just for activating near the emissary, and Brutal Conflux will stack with Lucius' aura for potentially ++ ml attacks from Minions.  Which can be really substantial on Hunters, Guardian, Thrall, Death Marshalls, etc.

Looking at the Diestro trick, Pale Rider is also a decent recipient of the upgrade, although the insanely high price point on that model, even compared to the emissary is unfortunate.   The rider also isn't as durable right off the bat, however you can purchase the Lead Lined Coat for the Rider, and it will only sink you 1 ss from your pool to upgrade that to Diestro later in the game.

EDIT: Lead Lined Coat is living... I guess it goes to show how often I take that 2 ss upgrade!  So many restrictions!

14 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I remember the first time I realized that LLC was living only.  It as when I wanted to put it on Killjoy, which would have been quite expensive but I still think would have been a brutal change for him.

Also make him look even more of a badarse. Give him shades and a Fedora too.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 9:15 AM, Ludvig said:

I have never made any gunline work in this game. 99% of the time the schemes and strategy force you to move into the center of the board where you get engaged and can't gunline.  Any opponent of some skill will also be likely to have a way of charging into your deployment zone turn one so the gunline might spend the whole game engaged. A few shooty elements can work well though and Lucius' issue command can push you out of unfavourable engagements.

The guardsman theme lacks the heavy hitters and damage soakers that I find useful. They are also completely incapable of ignoring armour and incorporeal which can become really bothersome against some lists. The newly released witchling thralls are big meaty brawler models and were more or less desinged to give Lucius a boost so I would have a look at them. Top guardsman models are austringers, they are among the best models in the guild and make it into most people's lists regardless of master. I also really like guild pathfinders. They have a good shooting attack and can summon traps which mess up your opponents plans. Getting those two is definetly a solid plan for guardsmen and the thrall to have something big and scary. I also like guild hounds since they are cheap and good at scheming, it is nice to be able to delay important interactions by having lots of cheap models. They also have some interesting interactions with Lucius's ability to put out scheme markers. Riflemen hit hard but I have trouble getting the best use out of them since they tend to die really quick. If you position them more competently than me and the boards don't have a lot of cover I think you will find them very enjoyable. They are however super dupe fragile.

I'm sure someone has already posted this (in which case, please allow me to reiterate): Add a Guardian and, if you can, a hunter or two.

1 hour ago, RodneyAnon said:

I'm sure someone has already posted this (in which case, please allow me to reiterate): Add a Guardian and, if you can, a hunter or two.

I usually include a guardian and a hunter or two. I also like witchlings and death marshals but at that point half my list isn't guardsmen and it sure as hell isn't a gunline so I fail on both accounts ;)

• Like 1

Ive found my guild lists are rarely shooting based anymore.   Gg 2016 put such a premium on getting going on my schemes early and the takes we build are terrain heavy enough that I rarely depend on ranged attacks.  (The exception being my sanc spellcaster and lots of hench lists, but even that is usually pumping shots through 1 model)

I think there are so many ways to get pushes and fast now that you will rarely be able to spend on your guns. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Masquer said:

Sounds like Queeg could use something tougher than tweed.

Not enough upvotes in the world :D

39 minutes ago, trikk said:

He has HtK, Sadistic Streak and the mini Commanding Presence. Maybe he had it at some time during the open beta

Maybe I'm just losing my mind... I have sleep deprivation deluxe after summoning a terror tot. Slow and unable to interact is accurate but they forgot to mention constantly screaming ;) 

• Like 3