Losing players fast!

UnDeadkiss

Ok, this topic just made me want to check out Netrunner.

And L5R was the best ccg there was, untill the overhaul. The changing of the card backs was the first death knell, then when the favor was changed it lost its appeal to me. Still have loads of the old cards. Loved that game.

To OP and his crew: 2.0 will likely be very different at release than what your Henchman is telling you. The core will likely stay the same, but crews probably wont be exactly the same as in the play-test. I'd give it a go with an open mind and be sure to give positive feedback; they do listen to it.

(pssst: positive feedback isn't "don't make 2.0, dudes". Its coming whether we like it or not, so help shape it.)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a soft spot for L5R as that was the first competitive game I played(even won a Sword Tournament once). But I secretly love both the Shadowrun CCG and Aliens V Predator. Both were a mess of rules with some very unbalanced cards, but both were a blast to play.

I should try Net Runner out..Maybe at Gencon.

I think this sums up why I love the Malifaux community. A thread pops up with a somewhat inflammatory theme; in short "M2E is rubbish! Netrunner is better!" Other gaming communities would blast the OP with things like "STFU, fanboy, Malifaux is perfect etc etc..." The Malifaux fans swirl their brandy and say "Why, Netrunner is a good game! Let's discuss that..."

You guys are the Internet I want my kids to inherit.

I have a soft spot for L5R as that was the first competitive game I played(even won a Sword Tournament once). But I secretly love both the Shadowrun CCG and Aliens V Predator. Both were a mess of rules with some very unbalanced cards, but both were a blast to play.

I should try Net Runner out..Maybe at Gencon.

I too loved the AvP CCG, too bad Harper pulled the plug on it. I had a great time as a demo rep for it and met a lot of great people. I'll have to pull out my old Netrunner cards and get some of the new revised and see how they compare.

Haven't played a CCG since Rage, ah the memories I loved that game... back on topic 2.0 will be released to the public tomorrow so why take someone else's word on what it is and check it out for yourself. If you don't like it give feedback on why or what the problems is, they may not answer but they do listen. I'm excited for 2.0 tomorrow can't wait to give it a go... well besides my Wong and Willie.... makes me sad that with 2.0 (currently) I can't have my Wong and play with my Willie... sniff....

I've viewed this thread with only passing interest......but dammit this is where I draw the line!

More a vodka guy myself.

I also prefer vodka. Vanilla-flavoured at the moment.

Anyway, anyone else ever played the Rage CCG? It took place in the White Wolf Werewolf: the Apocalypse setting. I won a few local tournaments with my OTT Black Spiral Dancer-deck, before I traded it all for a King Albrecht-deck which was all I played afterwards (not very successfully I might add. Stupid sticking-to-the-stories-idea... (I loved it!))

Haven't played a CCG since Rage, ah the memories I loved that game... back on topic 2.0 will be released to the public tomorrow so why take someone else's word on what it is and check it out for yourself. If you don't like it give feedback on why or what the problems is, they may not answer but they do listen. I'm excited for 2.0 tomorrow can't wait to give it a go... well besides my Wong and Willie.... makes me sad that with 2.0 (currently) I can't have my Wong and play with my Willie... sniff....

Great minds think alike, appearantly!

Edited by MrManson

I also prefer vodka. Vanilla-flavoured at the moment.

Fine fine, I'll take both of your brandy rations so they won't go to waste. ;)

The only CCG I play (inactively) is the Legend of the Five Rings CCG. It's really different and fun to play. (The tabletop RPG is also very fun.)

Anyway, anyone else ever played the Rage CCG?

Yup, it was my first CCG. It's what got me interested in Werewolf, which got me into RPGs, which got me into Mordheim, which got me into tabletop wargaming.

Incidentally...

King Albrecht

Is where my internet name comes from.

Edited by Jonas Albrecht

Yup, it was my first CCG. It's what got me interested in Werewolf, which got me into RPGs, which got me into Mordheim, which got me into tabletop wargaming.

Incidentally...

I'm guessing you've read the novel Silver Crown then? Really loved it as a youngster, Jonas and Mari were my personal heroes (and Evan was sort of... there. In my Rage pack I also used the Kailindo Stargazer featured in the novel, can't remember his name now).

Incidentally...

Yup, played Rage as well. Still have all the old Werewolf RPG books, too.

Im going to be at GenCon myself, too. We should all hook up to say hey and get some drinks.

I think I have, like, 10 or 20 Rage cards laying around somewhere. Along with a Starter or two of Jihad (yes, before the name changed), some Middle Earth starters, a big pile of Battletech CCG cards, an even bigger pile of Rifts CCG cards (note, both of these fell a bit flat for me in part because I'm not a fan of 'the library as a life pool' mechanics, even if I recognize it's basically a straightforward mechanic with room for manipulation like life totals), and god knows what else.

I think it was Inquest back in the 90's that came with a few random cards from assorted games. I also liked that.

Edit: also a big pile from the 24 CCG, though those might've been thrown out.

Edited by Forar

I loved Rage and Jyhad as well. rage was a game we'd play when we wanted to knock out a few quick games and Jyhad fot brought out when it was time to spend the evening drinking some home brew and playing a long game.

I can't wait for the public beta to begin so we can all see the changes. I believe they'll level the playing field, remove a lot of NPE, and can't wait to see where the Gremlins go in the coming years.

I loved Rage and Jyhad as well. rage was a game we'd play when we wanted to knock out a few quick games and Jyhad fot brought out when it was time to spend the evening drinking some home brew and playing a long game.

I can't wait for the public beta to begin so we can all see the changes. I believe they'll level the playing field, remove a lot of NPE, and can't wait to see where the Gremlins go in the coming years.

Oh yeah, Jyhad was excellent.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Okay so this thread is making me feel like a chump for picking up the Star Wars LCG instead of Netrunner.

Even so it's a heck of a lot better than Spellfire, the last card game I got into!

Wow, yeah...that was terribad.

Rage!!! I loved that game back in the day and just recently I have been grabbing some of the cards I needed to complete a couple of old sets.

Interestingly enough it is still played online via a program called Lackey and there have been several fan made sets.

http://werewolfccg.tumblr.com/

http://rageccg.proboards.com/

Also you can listen to a podcast about the history of the Rage ccg and the pitfalls that led to a very slow (almost)death [-spoiler, netrunner is blamed at a certain point *gasp*] and its ability to linger on with only fan support.

http://darkerdays2.podbean.com/2011/07/14/darker-days-radio-episode-27/

Edited by Spifferson

Rage!!! I loved that game back in the day and just recently I have been grabbing some of the cards I needed to complete a couple of old sets.

Interestingly enough it is still played online via a program called Lackey and there have been several fan made sets.

Funny you should mention Lackey. I actually know the creator of the program. He's a cool guy. He plays Magic in the city every so often and before I quit the game to fund my Malifaux cravings, I used to see him pretty regularly.

Also, his program is probably getting more spotlight now that things like Magic Workstation and Cockatrice (other mtg-gaming programs) have ceased to function. Good for him! :D

~Lil Kalki

I'm sad that I was too young in the 90s to be able to afford the various, excellent CCGs that were created. As a young Star Wars fanboy I played and collect the hell out of Decipher's Star Wars CCG (which in hindsight is essentially multiplayer solitare). I have played L5R and believe it is the most diverse and interesting CCG I've ever played. I am also a sucker for some MTG but it's like junk food, you probably shouldn't like it but you keep on consuming it.

Damn, this thread is awesome!

As far as CCGs go I've played the Battletech and Star Wars ones (both the first iterations of their type), but never really had more than one opponent for either so they kind of died fast.

I've played M:tG on and off - I think I've sold most of my collection 2-3 times over the past two decades now. Lots of fun, but only in casual games and only if nobody starts buying their way to victory. :P Definitely no interest in tournament play though - I'd rather have enough money to buy food. ;)

I was wondering about netrunner though. I thought about getting a copy but honestly, I'm not sure I have the time to learn the intricacies of a new card game, let alone play it!

I wish I'd had the time and cash to pick up a ton of CCGs back in the day. Still have a starter box or five of a half dozen games tucked away somewhere, but my main source of cardboard crack has always been Magic.

Even when I get away for a few years, I often find myself drawn back in and suddenly I wake up in a stupor, covered in naught but a pile of opened booster wrappers and with surprisingly pristine cards sorted by rarity and colour and ooooh foils, shiny....

I... I think I should go. I'm starting to feel the urge again...

Damn it as a recovering/relapsing/recovering again cardboard crack addict you really should post warnings this may be triggering...resisting the urge...want to reshape decks, build new ones....but gencon....begone daemon!