Holy poop, malifaux 2.0!

DeleteAccount

I found that for Mei Feng, the assets restriction came into play quite often. Can't take 2 LSPA and a rail golem. Also was restricted from soulstone miners fairly often (I think Mei Feng is a master who could stand to have a bit more synergy with the living members of her crew btw).

I've seen special forces listed as an issue on crooligans too.

Mei Feng probably should have had the same access to M&SU Assets as Ramos.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

So, while play tends to drop off over the Summer months anyways, should we keep playing as is, like nothing is happening? Or should we pause until the changes are complete?

Aside from playtesting the rules, once they become available, that is.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The existing models are still going to be completely fine and playable. There will just be new stats cards and rules eventually, unless you have a specific reason to wait for the plastic models. :)

Yeah, I just hate to purchase a crew and then see nice, new, shiny resculpts in plastic. That Rasputina art looks great and soo much cooler than the current models. The ice golem is sick!

Mei Feng probably should have had the same access to M&SU Assets as Ramos.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

So, while play tends to drop off over the Summer months anyways, should we keep playing as is, like nothing is happening? Or should we pause until the changes are complete?

Aside from playtesting the rules, once they become available, that is.

From what we have been told, the playtest rules should be pretty complete. Not all the models will be statted yet, but as far as a game goes I will probably just play 2.0 from that point. I'm not opposed to playing some 1.0 games too if I miss Mei Feng or Colette, though.

Before the playtest though, yeah, I'm gonna keep playing like I did. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't, the game today is the same as the game was before this announcement, and I still wanted to play it then.

I run non-showgirls with Collette fairly often too, however the point was that you are given good reasons to stick mainly to a certain type of models, without having to restrict people with clunky rules. Surely that's a better way to go rather than restrictions.

As far as the forums and 1.x support goes, will they keep these forums as is, for the people who will will want to play 1.x, even occasionally, and then make a new set to cover 2.0? It would be very confusing to try to find a ruling if both versions are living in the same forums. And I certainly don't want to see all the old painting threads just vanish, either.

Same goes for the Crew Creator. Can we keep the 1.x version and get one for 2.0?

Edited by i_was_like_you

Oh. My. God.

It just hit me what this is reminding me of.

This is the exact same quandary faced by my old raiding guilds between World of Warcraft expansions. Old abilities changing, new abilities, new characters, a malaise regarding the old stuff in the face of the new. O.O

I see you've caught up with me again, WoW. >.<

Hrm, maybe I'll load that up... assuming I want to completely abandon all pretense of remaining a functioning member of society, that is.

Those were some dark days, I tell you what...

I run non-showgirls with Collette fairly often too, however the point was that you are given good reasons to stick mainly to a certain type of models, without having to restrict people with clunky rules. Surely that's a better way to go rather than restrictions.

I completely agree, that is what I was saying.

I'm excited about the release of story scenario boxes. I assume they will be released in a version 2.0 format, even though it seems one will be coming out before the rulebook of 2.0 so i'm not sure. This will also be nice if they made a scenario box for the halloween scenerios that would give us carver, werewolf, and other models unique to the scenario

There are 5 types of model in 2.0:

Masters (3 upgrades)

Henchmen (named uniques, can use soulstones, can lead SMALL crews, 2 upgrades)

Enforcer (named uniques usually, cannot use soulstones, 2 upgrades)

Minion (1 upgrade)

Peon (no upgrades, equivalent to Insignificant in 1.0)

This is one concern I see. The WarmaHordes Caster cards tend to be two cards, one for the Caster and one for the Feat. I'm picturing a scenario where they do something similiar, 1 for the core and then 1 for each upgrade. So you could end up with 20-30 cards in front of you in a normal size (12-15 model) game.

Let's use a Seamus box for example:

Seamus - 4 cards

Madam Sybil - 3 Cards

Rotten Belles (x3) - 6 cards

So that is 13 cards (potentially) just for a starter box.

This is one concern I see. The WarmaHordes Caster cards tend to be two cards, one for the Caster and one for the Feat. I'm picturing a scenario where they do something similiar, 1 for the core and then 1 for each upgrade. So you could end up with 20-30 cards in front of you in a normal size (12-15 model) game.

Let's use a Seamus box for example:

Seamus - 4 cards

Madam Sybil - 3 Cards

Rotten Belles (x3) - 6 cards

So that is 13 cards (potentially) just for a starter box.

Agreed on this. I think Minions should be what they are. Too many customizable models will create a complexity issue too. I really don't think the possibility of 3 different variations on Rotten Belles in a crew at the same time will create a positive play situation.

Masters I don't think are an issue - 2 or 3 would work, but I think Henchmen and enforcers getting 1 upgrade each (maybe 2 for henchmen when leading a crew) would limit the number of cards effectively. Or maybe 2 for henchmen and none for enforcers. Let the 'leaders' be something special, with the rest being what they are.

Question: One of the biggest drivers of me and others in my playgroup away from Malifaux and to other games like Warmahordes is how dreadfully long it takes to even *start* a game of Malifaux.

You've got to determine your terrain, special terrain rules, setup the board, randomize an Encounter, build a custom crew for that Encounter, select your Schemes, determine deployment, and deploy you crews all before you can get started. It takes a long time, especially if you're new or don't play frequently.

Will this be addressed at all in M2E, and do we have any details as to how? I thought I'd read something about having "Standard Encounters" versus "Narrative Encounters". I'm assuming the latter will retain much of the flavor of today's setup process (total speculation on my part), but what can we expect with the former?

I know that I'm perhaps in the minority here, but I'd really like to be able to have predetermined "all-comers" crew lists that I can bring to our game night and then sit down at a table with some balanced terrain and just get crackin' with a random scenario.

Will there be duplicates in the Faction card decks? I have 4 Guild hounds for example and will I have to purchase additional cards? Curious..

This is actually a great question. There are a number of questions about these new figure cards that would be great to get clarification on, not the least of which is price (though I am highly doubtful that there are many facts to give, yet).

Hmmmm, with over 100 models in my collection and new models rolling in still I am worried about the cost of new cards. I'm not looking forward to spending $50+ on updating cards.

I also am curious and maybe this has been answered, but my book 4 (less than 4 months old) will still be current right? It won't be useless in 5 months right?

Apart from that, yes please streamline the rules and love the idea of new faction/masters, frequent FAQs

Hmmmm, with over 100 models in my collection and new models rolling in still I am worried about the cost of new cards. I'm not looking forward to spending $50+ on updating cards.

I also am curious and maybe this has been answered, but my book 4 (less than 4 months old) will still be current right? It won't be useless in 5 months right?

Apart from that, yes please streamline the rules and love the idea of new faction/masters, frequent FAQs

From the sounds of it (from the interview) No, book 4 is not v.2 compatible.

From the sounds of it (from the interview) No, book 4 is not v.2 compatible.

Thanks for that. But I must say - that annoys me quite a bit.

Oh well then - come on October and come on "MALI-hordes 40,000". Whoops, I mean Malifaux 2.0

Thanks for that. But I must say - that annoys me quite a bit.

Oh well then - come on October and come on "MALI-hordes 40,000". Whoops, I mean Malifaux 2.0

That is kind of unfair. The game has been out for well over four years now. We're getting a needed overhaul in some aspects and a lot of new goodies as well.

I am just hoping that they release all of the character stats revised and edited via PDF once the new rules come out. This would make it for people like me, who have five core books at home (yes even 1.0) more worthwhile.

Or we get seperate faction books. That woudl work as well, in my opinion. One big fatty book with current models in it.