Cartoonish or Gritty?

Webmonkey

So after having seen more figs then I care to tell you about,... I've come to the conclusion that that most peoples paint jobs fall into one of two distinct styles,..

Cartoonish/Fantasy or Gritty/Realistic

So for this thread,.. which way do you paint? Which style do you prefer to see when looking at other peoples work?,.. and why??

(this should get some interesting feedback,.. I'm sure)

Oddly enough, my models tend to be a mix of both for whatever reason.

My skin and upperwear (shirts/jackets) tend to be rather cartoony

while my pants and gore tend to be super realistic... It makes for an interesting model. I quite love the look of the super realistic/gritty pants, sadly my attempts to duplicate into shirts hasnt worked though

I tend to paint more realistically (not necessarily grittily) as I can see how to do that, but that does tend to mean my minis look pretty flat once they're on the table top so I'm trying to push up the contrast. Maybe I should try some cartoony minis to help?

But given I've been pretty much the only one of my friends who paints at all for quite some time now, any paint is good in any style. But they're slowly being lured into painting... People are so much happier if their army/crew/whatever is painted rather than boring and bare.

I dont mind seeing either style on the table top (any painted model is much better visually then "night camoflage" or bare metal).

Agreed,... any paint job is better then yet another battle against "The Great Grey Horde",... or black horde,.. or metal horde,.. etc,..

Wonder if we should start a poll?? Just to see how the vote stack up on preference,....

I dont mind seeing either style on the table top (any painted model is much better visually then "night camoflage" or bare metal). Personally I prefer the gritty realistic painting style for my own models (one reason I wont be buying the new Alternate Some'r model is his very cartoonish build).

I do like the term night camo for the primer black models. Sadley I see this to much, I think this is how the LGS owner got me to paint his...so perhaps it is a trap:) That said, I tend to paint very clean, so I think it falls under cartoon.

Edited by Ghiest1
Forgot something