Thoughts on Guild Hounds?

foxblue

What experence do people have with the hounds? I'm thinking about picking some up for a Sonnia crew but I haven't really heard much about them, good or bad. How much of a drawback is the fact they have to work in pairs? How much use have you gotten out of their counter related abilities?

Any experience using them with Sonnia specifically?

Theoritically 2 wouldn't work bad with perdita. But I would advise picking up a watcher instead if you need cheap objective grabbers.

They aren't that great for anything else due to the fact that a stiff wind kills them and if one dies yeah you now have a useless insignificant model. I have never actually used bury. It would seem to be alright but I believe last rights on exe of j is better plus the fact that against ressers with h2w you will almost never due more than 1 point of damage with them.

With Sonnia I would believe they wouldn't be great due to the fact that she can't keep up with them to ensure they get their +1 walk action, I would assume you would get alot more mileage out of the watcher with her.

I used them once with Sonnia and from my experience since they move fast they end up being a great place to target a flame blast at. Blow up your pooch and drop lots of blasts all around it.

This is definitely their best role with sonnia, they have companion (master) as well as companion (guild hound) so you can activate the 3 together then triple walk the hounds separately into prime positions then walk and fire each of the hounds, cheating for the double blast and giving tour opponent no time to counter.

I have only used them once so far but I plan on getting more of them. They are awesome for a lot of objectives and for 2.5 points they have good combat and defense. On top of this, because of their size they are easy to hide behind terrain.

If I really want to make sure to grab an objective I use hounds and watchers.

I'm sorry for joining this thread without contributing really, but I've been thinking of adding a pair of dogs to my Sonnia crew, but I quite dislike the models.

Have anyone come across good looking dogs of decent size from another range of miniatures that they could hint about?

There is one for GWs Mordheim, but only available in a whole set of witch hunter models..

I find the hounds to be an excellent addition to any of the guild crews. For starters, The majority of the Guild masters run best with maxed soulstones, so taking dogs means you will lock some spare stones into your list, making you less likely to say, "oh, 7 stones will be about the same as 8..." (famous last words).

-For any of the objective based strategies (treasure hunt, line in the sand, etc..), running 3-4 means you are moving 12" and still getting a (1) interact.

-For the Breakthrough or holdout schemes you have an 18" move that can ensure you have 2+ models in either deployment zone.

-For any master taking on ressers or arcanists, you've got an 18" threat to removing counters from the table (double move and 'bury"). A great thing when you decide to leave Justice (and or the executioner) at home.

-If you're running Sonnia, as stated above in the posts, you have easy targets to focus your blasts off of (a trick I've never used, but nice idea), but more importantly, if you find a hound reduced to 1 wound, you've got Witchling Stalker potential!

-Add in a Guild Guard or 2 and you have some ubber effective "Cordon" potential. Considering at this point you are probably including Lucius, you also have the benefit of fast moving "eyes" for the sniper ability or a cheap sacrifice to reactivate.

So, I'd say anymore, once I have my strategy determined these days, if its appropriate to the task, you will find at least 3 hounds in any of my guild lists. They are an extremely versatile minion for any master or henchman.

Add in a Guild Guard or 2 and you have some ubber effective "Cordon" potential. Considering at this point you are probably including Lucius, you also have the benefit of fast moving "eyes" for the sniper ability or a cheap sacrifice to reactivate.

Just to note, Hidden Sniper requires LoS from an Elite Division model, not a Guardsman. Otherwise, yes. :)

I have used them with the Hoffman/Lucius combo. Basically a large point game using mostly a Lucius list + hoffman, 2 watchers, and a guardian.

I had breakthrough and was playing against Seamus and Molly. They worked out well enough.

They are good for breakthrough as they can hide easily and they are fast. They are also better at melee than guild guard, and effectively cost less points than guild guard.

• 4 months later...

Guild hounds do not add extra soul stones, they add extra stones to the masters cache.

As far as how well they work. They can do some good things. They can mass companion with Ortegas, Sonnia can bounce spells off them, Lady Justice can give them melee expert and increase there CB. They are okay objective grabbers as long as they stick close together.

Where the really shine at for me is being more models that can destroy counters.

They are grest models but I caution taking 3 or more, at that point you are giving most crews an easy 2 vp scheme exterminate... Beast. They have decent stat lines but once you spend 12 ss to have 4 on board it usually means you will need to put them out in harms way. It's easier to hold back 6ss of models to use late in game.

A pair are amazing. I like them best for breakthrough and other objective/schemes that require most models at certain locations. They can move 18" a turn so they can be held back until last 2 turns before the sprint to where they need to be. Claim jump is my favorite strategy with them. Two significant models can make all the difference.

Guild hounds do not add extra soul stones, they add extra stones to the masters cache.

As far as how well they work. They can do some good things. They can mass companion with Ortegas, Sonnia can bounce spells off them, Lady Justice can give them melee expert and increase there CB. They are okay objective grabbers as long as they stick close together.

Where the really shine at for me is being more models that can destroy counters.

thanks for the clarification... I should have known when Ratty's crew builder only place the 2 ss to my master's cache... I thought it was a glitch...

anyway, i still think 4 hounds is great investment in higher ss games (35 and above). PLus, depending on strategies and schemes, fast paired significant minions will make a huge difference.

• 2 months later...

Ive found great synergy with lady J(shes my main master), I've been using 3-4 guild hounds with lady J and the scales of justice totem plus a couple other models in 25ss games and the hounds have been wrecking everything. If your just taking the middle ground you can companion activate lady J , totem, and guild hounds and most the time your giving 3-4 melee experts and once in awhile the +2 CB from J. even without the CB inscrease your usually getting 2 melee attacks per dog after moving 12" and with moderate dmg at 3 your usually dealing 9-12 dmg if you were hitting on half. And if your opponent focuses on them thats even better. Using them as sacrificials so J or judge can get into range will usually leave your opponent saying " Umm Uh Oh". Id say bottom line if your going to run them run 3 minimum and stagger them, that way if one dies you can still carry or hold objectives and get the extra move to get out of or into harms way. Hope this helps

yeah sure some schemes are easier to achieve vs. certain lists but that goes for pretty much everything. If your worried about that scheme id say throw and austringer in and keep it way in the back and peck anyone that gets within 18" . But I still personally think they're offensive potential outweighs their weakness vs the forementioned scheme. But again it's all in your play style heh I found out the hard way earlier tonight when I tried Sonnia Criid for the first time that I can't charge her straight into the heart of the enemy like i usually do Justice lol, oh man that was painful.