Lord Chompy Bits.

Natty

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did mention putting out a normal size model later. The behemoth one is only a special order model instead of a mass produced one

Special or not, I'd rather use that money towards more gangs/usable figures. Until we see the book, this lump 'o metal is about as useful in-game (if not less) than Pandora's alt.

Special or not, I'd rather use that money towards more gangs/usable figures. Until we see the book, this lump 'o metal is about as useful in-game (if not less) than Pandora's alt.

Well, good for you...?

Honestly you can make that exact same arguement for Collete or Ophelia. Until you see the book, all you've got at this point is pictures.

Realistically, nobody needs this model because a smaller yet equally functional model will be coming out with the boxed set (along with whatever crew it synergises with) a few months later. The only reason people would have to get it is it's collectibility or it's aesthetics. Even for the latter, everyone running with the assumption that it will actually look as good as the picture.

If you don't want to buy it, then don't. From a gameplay perspective it serves no useful purpose, so if that's your main interest in this Master then definitely wait for the boxed set instead.

Personally, I'll be buying the model for many, many reasons, but it's rules (whatever they turn out to be) is actually the last. ;)

Well, good for you...?

Honestly you can make that exact same arguement for Colette or Ophelia. Until you see the book, all you've got at this point is pictures.

To a point, you'd be right. Since I haven't seen a hint that "Nightmare" version rules are provided in this book + the fact that you'll get cards with the boxed sets... Yeah, choice is clear.

Realistically, nobody needs this model because a smaller yet equally functional model will be coming out with the boxed set (along with whatever crew it synergises with) a few months later. The only reason people would have to get it is it's collectibility or it's aesthetics. Even for the latter, everyone running with the assumption that it will actually look as good as the picture.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't, or shouldn't look as good if not better than the pics. Wyrd does an amazing job in that aspect...

If you don't want to buy it, then don't.

I'm not, thanks for the concern though. :P

From a gameplay perspective it serves no useful purpose, so if that's your main interest in this Master then definitely wait for the boxed set instead.

Personally, I'll be buying the model for many, many reasons, but it's rules (whatever they turn out to be) is actually the last. ;)

Luckily, I'm both concerned with playability and the model's aesthetics. With this glut of new models, I personally can't see the justification (outside of collecting) in any other area.

Well, I guess it'd be a fair point if one didn't like any of these past two months releases, but I'm sadly hooked on this game and see more value in painting/playing with multiple models than one. I don't see why that stance is so odd, I'm not calling any of you people intending to buy this wrong, I just gave reasons why I wouldn't be.

I didn't quite expect this sort of response though and I think it smacks of poor manners that I can't post my opinion as well, without criticism.

i want the big one just on the sole principal of having a great big model to paint... ive really started to like this malifaux thing ...more than i like 40k at this point. but i can definitely see where the price may shy ppl away from getting it ... especially since his box set will be out in a few months.

I didn't quite expect this sort of response though and I think it smacks of poor manners that I can't post my opinion as well, without criticism.

I wasn't criticising. Your last post gave me the impression first that you're mainly interested in the game for it's rules, and secondly that you didn't see any point in getting the model because it didn't have rules. I found it to be an odd assertion to make considering it will have rules, and that we don't know the rules for any of the other new models either (thus making them comparable to the $60 release too). Hence, I replied accordingly.

It didn't occur to me that you might think that this "Nightmare version" has different rules - I interpreted otherwise when I read the blurb.

Edited by Rathnard

To a point, you'd be right. Since I haven't seen a hint that "Nightmare" version rules are provided in this book + the fact that you'll get cards with the boxed sets... Yeah, choice is clear.

The second is a miniature that will be only available during convention season, both at Gencon and online for the four days of the convention. This is the Nightmare Version of the Dreamer and companion, Lord Chompy Bits. Standing 72mm tall at the eyes, this is one BIG piece of metal which is completely usable for play in Malifaux and comes with stat cards for the Dreamer and Lord Chompy Bits, a new master for the Neverborn.

Hmhmm..? From what I catch it'll have the same rules as the smaller miniature released later.

Edit: Shipping, taxes, VAT, fees and all that kind of stuff would mean that if I were to order it it'd cost more than 100$.. Still considering it though.. :)

Edited by Wodschow

I think the "Nightmare Version" just means that the model is much bigger. Not that it will change the rules in any way.

And remember, if you get the book you will get his rules, so that model could be used to play with other neverborn models.

He looks like he might work even better as the leader of a pandora crew, she's the one model I've never liked too much for her crew.. She just doesn't seem to fit her own creepy theme. This guy does, immensely well.

@Rathnard. Completely understandable. I thought my reference to Pandy's alt was evident of my opinion on alternate rules.

Luckily, Nathan confirmed that it isn't. So no hard feelings over that.

Though, I wonder if they would have told us had we not been discussing it... ;D

@Nathan, does this mean we'll see "Nightmare" versions in other factions as well as Neverborn?

@ender:

They already told us in the newsletter.. (as quoted earlier).

Also.. given that we're talking about 'the Dreamer' I don't think other figures will be released in 'Nightmare' editions.. It's also a limited offer so I doubt it'll be common.. Can of course not be certain of anything here though.

Edit: But maybe Book2 will include rules on avatars (page 20 in Book1) so we might see more alt sculpts on Masters.. and the awesome Pandora model which drew me into Wyrd Miniatures three years ago might finally see its use.

Edited by Wodschow

@ender:

They already told us in the newsletter.. (as quoted earlier).

Also.. given that we're talking about 'the Dreamer' I don't think other figures will be released in 'Nightmare' editions.. It's also a limited offer so I doubt it'll be common.. Can of course not be certain of anything here though.

Edit: But maybe Book2 will include rules on avatars (page 20 in Book1) so we might see more alt sculpts on Masters.. and the awesome Pandora model which drew me into Wyrd Miniatures three years ago might finally see its use.

Completely overlooked that. :D

Hmm, it probably wouldn't have changed my overall opinion (though on playability aspects it would have), as beautiful as it's sure to come out.

It will be a fearsome opponent to fight though if it's a Neverborn without a cache... That hints at some very good abilities. A bonus for you Neverborn players. :)

As for the "opinions without criticism" thing... criticism is a by-product of letting your voice be heard. Hopefully, it's constructive criticism or debate, not just "STFU", but you get the idea. You tell me something, I have the right to disagree with you. I should do so respectfully, however, and that's just what was done here. Rathnard wasn't saying you were an idiot, or even wrong, just bringing up points you may have missed, not considered, or misinterpreted, as well as bringing a alternate viewpoint into the discussion.

Anyways, personally, I'm totally getting it. I love the game, and I hope the Nightmare release comes with the rules (Just because I totally plan on playing with Lord Chompy Bits later), but even if it doesn't, I'm getting the model just because A. it looks like it'll be an awesome model, from the artwork, and B. I like to paint, and I like painting the bigger stuff more.

As for the "opinions without criticism" thing... criticism is a by-product of letting your voice be heard. Hopefully, it's constructive criticism or debate, not just "STFU", but you get the idea. You tell me something, I have the right to disagree with you. I should do so respectfully, however, and that's just what was done here. Rathnard wasn't saying you were an idiot, or even wrong, just bringing up points you may have missed, not considered, or misinterpreted, as well as bringing a alternate viewpoint into the discussion.

Anyways, personally, I'm totally getting it. I love the game, and I hope the Nightmare release comes with the rules (Just because I totally plan on playing with Lord Chompy Bits later), but even if it doesn't, I'm getting the model just because A. it looks like it'll be an awesome model, from the artwork, and B. I like to paint, and I like painting the bigger stuff more.

*shrugs* We both had already misunderstod parts where the other was coming from and he already said he wasn't criticizing me.

If you like painting large® models have you seen or painted any of the Helldorado or Smog/Mauser Earth figures? The latter of which I wish were just a tad smaller, the Victoriansteamhorror would have fit nicely in Malifaux actually.

I guess this thread actually reflects exactly our thinking for making both a normal and nightmare version of The Dreamer/LCB. Basically giving a bigger model for those who want something like that, but also providing the option of the normal sized models for everyone else. It was the result of listening to a fair number of requests for something "super cool and big" but not wanting to force people to pay $60 just for their master if they wanted to play that crew. This seemed like a good compromise! :D

The Dreamer and Lord Chompy bits plays nothing like pandora and just as wyrd

Heh, you didn't read the complete thread I take it. I never once talked about normal Pandy's playstyle. The particulars of playing (for me) are over. Just down to collectors/fans of the model or not, again imo. ;)

I guess this thread actually reflects exactly our thinking for making both a normal and nightmare version of The Dreamer/LCB. Basically giving a bigger model for those who want something like that, but also providing the option of the normal sized models for everyone else. It was the result of listening to a fair number of requests for something "super cool and big" but not wanting to force people to pay $60 just for their master if they wanted to play that crew. This seemed like a good compromise! biggrin.gif
Oh I definitely agree with this mentality. Like I asked earlier, will this be expanded to some of the other faction/models? Mainly Arcanist, for no particular reason? 0:)

just wondering is there a difference in base size and if so how would that work

I don't think this would be a difference in the base sizes. think of this more as like how Privateer Press has the Dire Troll Extreme and the Dire Troll Sculpt.

Either model can be used but one is a big honkin' metal mini that is infinitely cooler, however the other will be a little easier to afford when taking into account distribution to all the Local Gaming Stores.