phases in your painting

EricJ

Do you ever go through phases?

So I was just looking at just about everything I've painted in the last...8-9 months and realized they're really all basically brown...I've had a brown period, and I didn't even really realize it was happening until I started photo'n them all. Anyone else have this happen without them realizing until after?

Happens all the time with me. Although, I have been in 'there needs to be some red' phase since I started painting. Its possible you've been painting quite a bit of the Lord of the Rings, as they tend to involve lots of brown, speaking as someone who paints the LoTR figures about 2 out of every 3 figures. My 'red' phase isn't so much a phase as it is a way of life, actually.

Since I've started mixing my paints together alot more in the last several months, I've noticed that I tend to keep using a few colors from model to model until I become satisfied with how the color turned out and then I'll move onto another. RMS Ashen Brown and Dark Elf/Dark Elf Highlight mixed with various colors have been showing up alot lately for me. I guess that's kindof like a phase..

/ali

I tend to use a lot of dark red, which I hadn't noticed until this thread!

I feel like I am in a stuck in a rut phase at the minute, and my painting just doesn't seem to be improving (I wouldn't mind if I were a much better painter, but there is definatley room for improvement, it just aint happening!)

I go through color phases as well. I went through a huge white phase for a while, and I still feel the effects of that every once in a while.

I also tend to go on red kicks sometimes.

Right now however, I am in the "I have no idea what colors to use on this thing" phase.

• 7 months later...

You asked for it, Eric; it's ALL your fault.

Learning Phase: the first dozen or so years of my painting career were an involvement with "historical" games [the " is to denote that while the games I experienced had accurately (more or less) rendered minis, & the rules reflected the tactics of the period(s) the games bore the same resemblence to historical battles as I do to Adonis]. Since most of the "armies had 1,000 or more minis & since I got into painting for other folk, I got to do a LOT of little soldiers. From this period I got a sense of what a uniform should look like, what colors worked well together, &, most importantly, the discipline necessay to work the craft. Then D&D took over; FREE AT LAST!

Primer phases: initially minis were made of type metal, which had a real tendency to oxidize; ergo, the primer was more to seal the metal fron the air than to provide a good base for the paint. When the metal oxidizes under the paint, it forms a blister that bursts, spewing forth a white powder [might work well with Nurgle]. It was a semi gloss grey & had a smell like a seat on a cross town bus. As the metals improved dramatically in quality [& minis started to get more pricey] white prime took over, first alcohol based, then water based. Then black became the base coat of choice, followed by a return to white. Now I do a wash in black followed by a dry brush of white; it gives a nice bright result & it's easier on my weary old eyes.

Color phases of the fantasy era: I have to admit that red is my absolute favorite color [Hail the Scarlet Penguin!]. However, the most often recurring phase is the primary color phase;i.e., a combination of red [YES], blue, & yellow, when I'm left to my own devices that is. Painting for other folks means that I get to go through their phases as well as my own. My 40K folk seem to be stuck in a black phase with dashes of brighter colors snuck in here & there. The big plus, other than having a couple extra bucks to squander on minis I like [like Wyrd's amazing line], in doing other folks minis [& dealing with their tastes (or lack of taste) in colors] is that I get a good deal of practice with a range of colors & minis that I might not otherwise have done.

The blank page/mini phase or "what the @!!!$$#! am I going to do with this one?" phase: this is a blessedly rare phase for me, but periodically I'll look at a mini or minis & have totally no idea what or how I'm going to do it up. Now I go browsing through the gallery here [thanks amigos] & something will clink. It's rather like the reseaching from the historical days. This the inspiration phase.

I seem to be stuck in blue at the moment, everything I paint has blue on it, some reds and purple but lots of blue. The odd flurry of green or yellow but I keep drifting back to blue, guess my hand is just too used to the pot. Perhaps if I rearranged my paint box...

Of course it could be that after painting 4500+ points of Sisters of Battle I can't see any other colours clearly!

I'm not sure my painting style is settled enough to have had phases yet, but my purchasing phases are quite obvious! It seems to be all about the cats and dragons. Reaper's Guardian beast (big mechanical cat), a celestial lion, Hasslefree's Libby/tigress, Rackham's Fianna+wildcat (which I bought specifically for the cat, couldn't care less about the chick). I also have a lot of dragons, and have to physically stop myself buying more. Just putting paint on the ones I have now would be a start. I think the pinacle of these trends was my purchase of a Dragonne- half lion, half dragon!

I'm going through purple and red at a fair old rate currently......I tend to shift trends every couple of weeks or so bending a technique to death until I am comfortable with how best to use it without it causing too much delay in the thought process..

currently the big things I am working on are skin tones and metallics (thanks to Anders recent examples I've fallen back in love with metal paint) as well as sculpting....

but more than any painting technique I am trying to figure out a way of making my pictures more reflect my work....got a new camera today to play with so I might at last be able to show some of the work I have done recently......

I've been army painting lately, so it's hard to say- I was in a very turquoise and red phase for a few weeks, until my Blood Bowl team was done. now I am in a brown phase, as I'm trying to get my marines painted up so I can finally get back into 40K, and they are painted so as to approximate my favorite scotch. I foresee an olive drab phase in my near future, as I've been growing closer and closer to picking up the rulebook for Flames of War. Though, I break up my painting by putting 45 minutes to an hour every day into a mottled mess of spilled internal organs phase for my GenCon entry.