Waldo's Weekly - Gen Con 2022

Kyle

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, we put Waldo in a room with an unplugged computer, a stuffed animal, and a few broken sprues so that we could finally get some work done. After all, Gen Con is just around the corner, and there’s a lot that goes into The Best Four Days in Gaming™. Who knows, maybe he’ll even be productive while we’re gone.

Without further ado, let’s do one last big reveal before we hop on a plane and head to Indianapolis.

There’s been a ton of speculation since we revealed the Dabblers back in April. Well, now it’s time for us to reveal the rest of their keyword, Witness, which is led by none other than Mr. Puzzle Box himself: Damian Ravencroft.

WW_7.27.2022_Art_DamianRavencroft-Aspirant.jpg

Damian’s curiosity is his greatest asset, but what separates him from the common investigator or scientist is his inability to let go. Once a puzzle is before him, he can’t stop until it is solved. No cost, not even losing himself, is too high a price to pay for secrets. And, oh, what sweet mysteries Malifaux has. So many stones left unturned. So many doors left unopened…

WW_7.27.2022_Art_DamianRavencroft-Aspirant_Cards.jpg

In a fairly drastic simplification in comparison to how they play on the table, Damian and his Witness keyword utilize a set of cards called the Configuration, and based on what cards are in there, certain Witness characters may receive benefits, such as automatically gaining suits or previously unattainable Triggers.

But who else shall bear Witness (as in… who else is in this keyword)? Let’s dive right in:

WW_7.27.2022_Art_CoreBox.jpg

Damian’s totem, the Puzzle Box, shouldn’t surprise anyone who read the story from First Edition. Joining Ravencroft in his Core Box is Bellaventine Thorpe (who you might also recognize), and 3 Dabblers (mages who haven’t quite found their specialty yet).

WW_7.27.2022_InvisibleInk_Box.jpg

In Invisible Ink, a supplemental Witness box, you’ll gain control of Leger de Main (a street performer who uses his sleight of hand for his own benefit), and Marco Bonatti (a mage-turned-construct who utilizes ink to get into messy situations).

WW_7.27.2022_LivingSoulstones_Box.jpg

One puzzle that Damian has yet to solve of Lohith Bhatt. Luckily, you won’t have to wait for Ravencroft to crack the code (or stone) before you can pick up the Living Soulstone box, which includes both Lohith and 3 Soulstone Gamin.

https://youtu.be/LiikHUlIrsc

Want to figure out how this Witness crew plays before you pick them up? Head to the news post on the website for the gallery. And don't worry - these cards will be hitting the M3E Crewbuilder app soon.

At Gen Con this year, we will have ALL of these Witness boxes (both online at the big event), and much, much more.

How much more, you ask? Let’s take a look!

WW_7.27.2022_GenConReleases.jpg

WYR11502 Bayou Bash: Hog Wild $20.00

WYR11601 Vagrantsong $80.00

WYR11602 Vagrantsong Séance Scenario $13.00

WYR11604 Vagrantsong Bonus Scenario $6.99

WYR19003 Iconic: A Wild Ride $45.00 *

WYR19004 Iconic: The Path Not Taken $50.00 *

WYR19006 Iconic: Scorch the Soul $55.00

WYR19007 Iconic: A Fae Queen $55.00 *

WYR21419 NE: The Fallen Kingdom $75.00

WYR21420 NE: Legend Reforged $40.00

WYR23327 Ravencroft Core Box $50.00

WYR23328 Invisible Ink $21.00

WYR23329 Living Soulstones $50.00

WYR23330 Untold Tales $35.00 online only

WYR23905 Fates Entwined $55.00

WYR23908 Trade Secrets $35.00

WYR23909 Forward and Back $45.00

WYR23911 Showdown $35.00

WYR23917 Hats Off $45.00

WYR23918 Navigating Chaos $40.00

WYR23926 Coldsnap $55.00 online only

WYR23931 Don't Worry, Be Zappy $18.00

WYR23932 To Grandmother's House We Go $24.00

WYR30211 TTB: Return to Innocence $28.00

WYR30212 TTB: The Voyage Volume $30.00

*Items with an asterisk will be available for in-person purchase only.

The list includes only the newest, upcoming, and most sought-after stuff – there will be more available online and at our booth at Gen Con. You’ll just have to stop by Booth #1129 or our webstore!

If you stop by our booth, you might have a chance to scoop up the new Iconic models: Dreamer and Teddy having a ride of their lives, Titania showing her new powers from old growth, and Lady Justice if she had continued on the path of necromancy and surpassed her greatest enemy. Due to an extremely limited supply, these models will only be available at the convention, but they will be released globally in the coming months.

WW_7.27.2022_IconicModels.jpg

And don’t forget! If you spend $100 or more during Gen Con (either at the convention or on our webstore), you’ll receive Miss Tique (alt Carlos Vasquez) for free.

WW_7.27.2022_Art_MissTique.jpg

Gen Con starts Wednesday, August 3rd, and so does our websale. We’ve got a lot of awesome stuff packed into The Best Four Days in Gaming™, including a wild Vagrantsong event, as well as the Malifaux Tyrant Tournament, which will be utilizing the Strategies and Schemes from Gaining Grounds 3!

We can’t wait to see you there!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Lets see, is Bellaventine Thorpe the one who tried to get revenge on Lady J, Perdita, and Criid?

Edit:  Going back through that Breachside Broadcast.  Given the Runic blades I guess it's the witchling stalker from the story... guess I'll know in 30

Edit edit:  I guess Inkboy, Thorpe, and all Damian are from that story.  Lohilith is from another story.

Nice job Wyrd.  Curious to see who else will show up in the future.

Right, I am jealous as heck of this crew. An interesting gimmick in the Configuration with plenty of meaningful decisions to make during the turn, a Master with a pile of different abilities (LOS-range out of activation movement/protection, piles of different card manipulation abilities, AoE Injured, and more), a Henchman that is the platonic ideal of "all killer, no filler", minions that pass all the "good 5-stone minion" tests, Premium-grade False Claim scheme runner, Discount Arik Shottemer, a second chunky-boy Henchman with a no-demise lantern, and 4 stone utility minions with marker control.

The more times I read over the cards, the more cool stuff I can see that they can do. I'm excited to see how they perform on the table, to see how many of their abilities they can actually Configure to get running. I hope EVERY new keyword is even half as exciting as these folks.

I love how Wyrd takes interesting characters from past stories and goes "you know what, let's put these in the game with awesome miniatures!" 

This is the guy that firmly put me in the "filthy Arcanist" camp when I was  listening through the podcasts the first time through, and here he is, making my wallet reconsider life choices.

And maybe Untold Tales is the Arcanist starter set?

1 hour ago, SoylentRobot said:

(oh god wyrd pls make more black masters you have like 3 out of 40+ masters)

Y'know, that's a really interesting point. I went and did a quick count in the app, and Malifaux actually has 40 recognizably human masters, exactly. I did some napkin math, and got some interesting results:

• 65% White
  • 7% Black
  • 18% East Asian
  • 10% other (5% Hispanic)

Now, we can argue all day about what the demographics of Malifaux SHOULD look like. The Breach is, ostensibly, in North America, although  we've never been given a precise geographic location. In comparison to the modern United States, the Malifaux masters are a little more white and a little less black, (65% vs 60%, 7% vs 12%) but the big outliers are actually the Hispanic and East Asian groups, whose representation should actually be flipped if we were trying to represent the American population. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that there is a Breach right in the middle of the Ten Thunders' Earthside holdings (which is why they have their own faction, I suppose).

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing some Abyssinians showing up in Malifaux proper. I think that Abyssinia is the coolest part of The Other Side, and It'd be nice to get some of their signature style up in here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scoffer said:

Books are WYR230**. This is something for Arcanists :(

6 hours ago, SpannerRider said:

I love how Wyrd takes interesting characters from past stories and goes "you know what, let's put these in the game with awesome miniatures!" 

This is the guy that firmly put me in the "filthy Arcanist" camp when I was  listening through the podcasts the first time through, and here he is, making my wallet reconsider life choices.

And maybe Untold Tales is the Arcanist starter set?

Of note,

The Explorer's, Outcast and Neverborn Starter boxes are all US$45-

The Bayou Starter box is $US55-

Depending on how you classify it the Court of Two (Ten Thunders) vs the Guild Starter box is US$100-

So if Untold Tales is the Arcanist Starter it would fall in the cheapest box range.

11 hours ago, Avatar of Butter said:

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing some Abyssinians showing up in Malifaux proper. I think that Abyssinia is the coolest part of The Other Side, and It'd be nice to get some of their signature style up in here.

a full Abyssinian crew would be really cool to see!

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, dancater said:

Of note,

The Explorer's, Outcast and Neverborn Starter boxes are all US$45-

The Bayou Starter box is $US55-

Depending on how you classify it the Court of Two (Ten Thunders) vs the Guild Starter box is US$100-

So if Untold Tales is the Arcanist Starter it would fall in the cheapest box range.

I have to say, I would be perfectly fine with this development if it were true. Sure it probably means the Arcanists won't have any particularly chunky models in their box, but I can live with that. It'll be interesting to see what Untold Tales turns out to be either way!

Maybe it's Ravencroft's none title form and another Witness model(s) instead of the starter, or something utterly unexpected.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SpannerRider said:

Maybe it's Ravencroft's none title form and another Witness model(s) instead of the starter, or something utterly unexpected.

This is an interesting idea. If it's a title box, that means that they haven't said anything about it because there's going to be another Master we haven't seen in there yet. Exciting!

1 hour ago, Avatar of Butter said:

This is an interesting idea. If it's a title box, that means that they haven't said anything about it because there's going to be another Master we haven't seen in there yet. Exciting!

I know right? The rumor mill is kicking in hard for this mystery box.

So uh Wyrd, if it Is a title box...Angler please and thank you.  Just my bit of scrip there, more Arcanist / Bayou cross over is what love is made of.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:17 PM, Avatar of Butter said:

Now, we can argue all day about what the demographics of Malifaux SHOULD look like. The Breach is, ostensibly, in North America, although  we've never been given a precise geographic location.

When The Other Side was released, the background material stated that the breach is in/at Santa Fe, because that's where the ritual was performed and they wiped out the town.