Waldo's Weekly - Beat the Drum Slowly

Kyle

Hey Wyrdos,

This week, Waldo decided that he wanted to learn how to play an instrument. Before we got too excited that the office was going to be filled with music, he had already set up a drumkit. All it took was one “ba-dum-tch” and we knew our productivity was in treble. After snaring a few beats, we asked him to only play after hours – or there would be re-percussions. His response was a little... drum-atic.

So, while we pine for cymbal-er days, let’s reveal another upcoming character for Malifaux: the Story of Raijin!

WW_6.1.2022_Art.jpg

Somewhere in the Library of All Things, amongst a hoard of objects and rare books, a small drum rumbled like a thunderstorm. There it waited for someone to stumble upon it, to listen to its rhythm, and to learn of its fable; a story of two brothers, one a lord of wind and the other a lord of storms. One chose to protect their emperor with thunder and lightning while the other refused. This defiant decision split the brothers, and a war in the sky echoed out for centuries.

While it might just be a folktale passed down from generation to generation, stories like these have power. And one librarian has learned to harness those tales and treat the characters from within like protective guardians, pulling words from paper – or in this case, kanji from a drumhead.

Let’s take a look at how the Story of Raijin will send thunder rolling across the Malifaux skies:

WW_6.1.2022_Card.jpg

That’s the end of this Waldo’s Weekly, but just the start of this story! We’ll have more reveals and sneak peeks soon. See you then!

• Like 6

Soooo… the size might be an issue, but I assume if I nab this from Sanjyusangendo that I can use it as a proxy????  

Fujin/Raijin are my two favorite 神様 (deities) from Shinto. 

Really looking forward to these… and whoever their master might be with the Story keyword…. 

I assume Fujin might show up as well. Super stoked! 

A887B4A3-30AD-49D1-B537-DC8924AD84D1.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kyle said:

И на этот раз мы также показываем потрясающую скульптуру «История Райджина»:

WW_6.1.2022_Render (1).jpg

Gorgeous miniature! I will definitely buy. The only thing that confuses is "snot", but that's okay, it's easy to fix

22 часа назад, Кайл сказал:

WW_6.1.2022_Render (1).jpg

Snot I called the effect of magic, which lifts the drums into the air. Personally, I don't really like this effect of magic. Otherwise, a wonderful miniature, one of the best in TT in my opinion

Cool model, cool concept. I’ve got to have this - and looking forward to the rest of the keyword 😁

-

Ruleswise… You’re adding another layer of bookkeeping to the game with the Electric Fields trigger, and in many ways it feels like the streamlining from M2E->M3E has gone the way of the poodle. It might work in game for veterans, but in a game with 120+ crews, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for new players to prepare themselves and get an overview - we’re missing out on a lot of new and casual players, who give up, when they see the staggering amount of bespoke rules that end up “Gotcha!”-ing them.

Complaintswise… Looks like 6 is the new 5. I love this game, it’s got the best depth of any mini game. It’s got some of the coolest minis. It’s amazing how playstyle and theme go hand in hand, but… It’s starting to feel like you’re taking lessons from GW on how to market miniatures, rather than just making the game great.

• Agree 1

DOOM! DOOM!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! THE AGE OF MALIFAUX IS OVER!!

[end rant]

Seriously though, we've seen one released model with 6/6 (Yaksha & Skulker skins are 5/5, Hex bows are 5/6) and haven't seen anything of the rest of the keyword. While everyone's welcome to their hot takes, maybe wait a moment before rage quitting. Sure, some broken stuff will sneak through (it always does), but have some faith in the design team that's made this awesome game so far.

20 hours ago, Dench said:

Snot I called the effect of magic, which lifts the drums into the air.

Thanks for the clarification. Not sure which I prefer out of the lightning from the art or the whooshes on the render.

I for one am greatly looking forward to these new keywords, and while I went immediately head over heals for Angler as soon as I saw that gremlin in her lovely fish man suit...full blown take my money now moment...the idea of beings coming straight out of the stories in this particular library is quite exciting. We already have a heavy mix of world mythologies that have cognates in Malifaux, with juicy questions about whom influenced whom there, and now characters straight out of texts (at least some of which we know are from earth side) are going to be hitting the table too? Sign me up...and I hope we see the combination Van Helsing / Sherlock Holmes get a model!

Then again, I'm all about the story and the models, though I still think the game looks wildly fun...oh to have enough put together to root out the fabled local players.