2021 Monthly Painting Challenge - December

Caedrus

30 minutes ago, Maciej said:

Hi All, 

I started painting Sophie with pretty standard colour scheme, but the I thought she is too good looking sculpt to be treated this way!

IMG_20211216_000009.thumb.jpg.b6b748896cff2124b9407c463d24becd.jpg

So first off, I repainted the cloth on her back to be "grandma style blanket", then changed the tent to red, as it felt better choice to complement new blanket. 

IMG_20211222_091807.thumb.jpg.41ead5d94acfa9980bbafc896f1faa59.jpg

Finally I found the courage to try source lighting from the globe above her back. I was really scared of this, because I really didn't want to ruin the model and I never tried that before. Luckily I'm white happy with the result. 

The base is still to be finished, but that is something I plan on doing in a batch, when more Seekers are painted. 

IMG_20211219_231434.thumb.jpg.cab8bb7f50e62e627b600b963d958dc3.jpg

love the blanket :D I think giving Sophie some Credit is a wise decision :)

• Thanks 1

So, I got my pledge for the month done. 

First is Iggy. I tried to go with the Bunsen burner "white/blue" flame on his hands since most people go with the standard fire angle. It didn't come out exactly how I imagined (it needs more white at the core), but I'm happy with it. 

large.IMG_4458.jpg.7d6f91df3413829bd242d

Next was The Carver. I handmade the pumpkins with some epoxy... and they were too big :) Still, I love this model. I might buy another one and paint it with a whole different approach because it was really fun to paint. 

large.IMG_4459.jpg.ecc0c6eeac6497ba80157large.IMG_4460.jpg.0f9cd07294b230a05b591

Finally... I had a reclamation project I needed to get off my shelf. Long story short - I bought Yasunori for my 10-year old daughter back in 2019. She really wanted it painted like Rainbow Dash (I know... I know). I was 80% done and we had an earthquake here in Japan. I'll leave it at, 'he was wrecked'. That actually broke my painting rhythm in so many ways. Well, a lot of epoxy, patience, and mental rehab later - I think I can call him done. 

large.IMG_4461.jpg.474b67179626428e95181large.IMG_4462.jpg.3ed51337defb94ecc9460

He will now go sit on my daughter's book shelf where he belongs :)

• Like 6

I'm actually going to work on anther weird hobby angled thing for the rest of the month that I thought I'd share. 

As avid hobbyists I am sure we all have tips/tools/tricks to our painting process that might help others, so I figured "as long as it's about painting and the hobby", right?

So, for the next few days I am going to be working on decanting all of my CItadel paints from their annoying little pots into eye droppers. I've seen so many pros on YouTube with Citadel paints in eyedropper bottles like the Vallejo paints and I finally reached out to one to ask where he got them from. He explained that the only way to get them like that is to decant them yourself, and he highly recommended I do it. 

SOoooooo, I will. 

So I'm taking about 70+ Citadel paints (this is just part of the collection): 

IMG_4441.thumb.jpg.30a61a8634137f0728f517435dcf0397.jpg

and decanting them into eyedroppers and adding in two stainless steel balls (agitators) to help mix them up a bit better. 

IMG_4443.thumb.jpg.7369a7d874f59f624c90f7300098b578.jpg

The end product will look a bit like this 

IMG_4442.thumb.jpg.7130608fec799d11d38e51544b2c4373.jpg

Last step is going to be chopping up my storage container a bit. I have to hack off the cross bracing pieces with my plastic cutter because the frame where the drawer slides in is 1mm too short for the bottle height. I need to cut along the yellow lines: 

InkedIMG_4439.thumb.jpg.72d72a0ba8858f392cb84cfa43a863b5.jpg

Should be an interesting project :)

Good luck with all your hobby works and I'd love to hear about the tools, tips, and paints that you all prefer. I'd love to actually use Vallejo paints, but alas the only decent paint I have access to in Japan is GW stuff. 

• Like 4

@Shock & Awe Rainbow colours really suit this model and work great with ogange and light blue. Should look like that on his stat card!

Pumpkins on Carver's base are hand made? They look lovely!

As for your final project, I was thinking to rebottle my paints as well. A youtuber I like (Squidmar) use eyedroppers for citadel paints and it really must be much more convenient to use. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maciej said:

@Shock & Awe Rainbow colours really suit this model and work great with ogange and light blue. Should look like that on his stat card!

Pumpkins on Carver's base are hand made? They look lovely!

As for your final project, I was thinking to rebottle my paints as well. A youtuber I like (Squidmar) use eyedroppers for citadel paints and it really must be much more convenient to use. 

Squidmar is the guy I asked! 

23 hours ago, Shock & Awe said:

I'm actually going to work on anther weird hobby angled thing for the rest of the month that I thought I'd share. 

As avid hobbyists I am sure we all have tips/tools/tricks to our painting process that might help others, so I figured "as long as it's about painting and the hobby", right?

So, for the next few days I am going to be working on decanting all of my CItadel paints from their annoying little pots into eye droppers. I've seen so many pros on YouTube with Citadel paints in eyedropper bottles like the Vallejo paints and I finally reached out to one to ask where he got them from. He explained that the only way to get them like that is to decant them yourself, and he highly recommended I do it. 

SOoooooo, I will. 

So I'm taking about 70+ Citadel paints (this is just part of the collection): 

IMG_4441.thumb.jpg.30a61a8634137f0728f517435dcf0397.jpg

and decanting them into eyedroppers and adding in two stainless steel balls (agitators) to help mix them up a bit better. 

IMG_4443.thumb.jpg.7369a7d874f59f624c90f7300098b578.jpg

The end product will look a bit like this 

IMG_4442.thumb.jpg.7130608fec799d11d38e51544b2c4373.jpg

Last step is going to be chopping up my storage container a bit. I have to hack off the cross bracing pieces with my plastic cutter because the frame where the drawer slides in is 1mm too short for the bottle height. I need to cut along the yellow lines: 

InkedIMG_4439.thumb.jpg.72d72a0ba8858f392cb84cfa43a863b5.jpg

Should be an interesting project :)

Good luck with all your hobby works and I'd love to hear about the tools, tips, and paints that you all prefer. I'd love to actually use Vallejo paints, but alas the only decent paint I have access to in Japan is GW stuff. 

Yeah... thats something i should have been doing for a long time, but i am too lazy to do it, how do you go about it? because half of my GW Paints by now have the consistency of tar :)

Shall we send some Vallejo Paints over to you?

I am Using a mixture of Vallejo Paints and games Workshop Paints, i wanted to go deeper into oil colours and bought some Kymera Acrylics but haven't really made a headstart on using either of those

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gheist said:

Yeah... thats something i should have been doing for a long time, but i am too lazy to do it, how do you go about it? because half of my GW Paints by now have the consistency of tar :)

Shall we send some Vallejo Paints over to you?

I am Using a mixture of Vallejo Paints and games Workshop Paints, i wanted to go deeper into oil colours and bought some Kymera Acrylics but haven't really made a headstart on using either of those

I just followed the advice on this website to transfer them over: Decanting Games Workshop Paints into Dropper Bottles - FauxHammer

I am just about done, and I shifted over to getting some painting in tonight and it was sooo much nicer having them in droppers. Between that and finally getting a wet palette I imagine my painting is going to start speeding up a bit :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/26/2021 at 2:07 PM, Maciej said:

Thanks @Shock & Awe, I will probably use this. In the meantime, sitting on quarantine, recovering from covid (which I managed to catch right before Christmas, despite being jabbed 2 times) I continue with Seekers.

IMG_20211226_135824.thumb.jpg.99ee6395c775a47e485bab391fdc9a2b.jpg

#playwyrd 

Model looks great, Technique looks familiar :)

can you get a better Focus on the Shoulder head region or different Lighting? (if you are feeling well enough that is)

@Viruk I really love the color transitions on Yan, it really gives it a wonderful "mystic" feel. Teddy too is one seriously bloody nightmare :) perfectly fit for his role. 

As for me, my paint transfer mission is accomplished! 

IMG_4472.thumb.jpg.4e5b0ec542d02e798f8ec29ba7748193.jpg

I'm am super stoked to get painting again now, so let's see if this helps me speed up (and keep paints for longer without that stupid buildup that forms around the neck of citadel pots :)

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, Gheist said:

Model looks great, Technique looks familiar :)

can you get a better Focus on the Shoulder head region or different Lighting? (if you are feeling well enough that is)

So this is what I finally managed to paint in December. I hoped for more, but these costed me quite some time. When I move away form "paint as on picture", thinking process takes surprisingly long. I made some better photos now. 

@muraki I have no idea how you could paint so many awesome models in one month... Is that Waldo on dead Teddy? I really like subtle pattern on the skirt on the second to last photo. 

@Viruk Color transitions on this blue-purple smoke is absolutely stunning. The whole model is. I wish I could see your painting process, really curious about your technique. 

Damned_1.jpg

Damned_2.jpg

Jedza_1.jpg

Jedza_2.jpg

Michail_1.jpg

Sophie_1.jpg

Sophie_3.jpg

• Like 6

Caedrus, reporting in!

This is just a quick recent shot of my near-complete pledge for December, just in case I don't get time to take pretty shots and upload them!

sE2NOHH.jpg

Three Scavengers (18SS) and Marlena Webster (8SS), meeting my pledge for December, and every month of 2021! Whew!

I'll be back with more photos of the models soon (they are completed!), but in the meantime, have a great New Year's Eve!

Caedrus.

• Like 7

To finish off 2021, I completed two fireteams of Striped Skulkers:

TaRObQI.png

CiQIqtv.png

M2ZPZB4.png

hvRDYWa.jpg

AWxlacy.jpg

This involved a lot of experimentation with airbrushing and water effects. I'm not terribly pleased with the fireteam basing and will try more of a tide pool effect for the other units. Cool sculpts, though!

That's 42ss @Caedrus though I'm aware you've stepped away from the throne. Thank you for your work, your support, and for two years of inspiring threads with brilliant painters that compelled me to get back to the paint table and try something new.

Happy New Year, all!

• Like 8

Well I made my pledge for December and completed the challenge again for a second year. @Caedrushere's 23 total soulstones for the month, 10ss for the Motor Scout, 8ss for Gibson Dewalt and 5ss for the Nocturne. 

qHFAze8.jpg

I hated this miniature, very difficult to paint the rider, sometimes preassembled isn't the best idea! That said it was my last miniature to complete my 2021 goal of a completely painted The Other Side army and here it is in all it's glory.

q249uVe.jpg

Here's Gibson, a fun miniature to paint.

GyU710e.png

And finally a Nocturne, did some testing here with diluted contrast paints, I'm happy with the result.

uTl3doH.jpg

To @Caedrus, thank you for everything, the last couple years were extremely productive painting wise. I really enjoyed the challenge. To everyone, Happy New Year and thank you for sharing your talent and kind feedback.

• Like 5

Dear Everyone,

Thanks so much for your kind words. It's been an absolute pleasure looking after the Painting Challenge for the last few years, and I hope that you have enjoyed it (and learned as much) as I have!

I hope to see everyone's amazing work in 2022 and onwards, and I will be right there painting alongside you all!

Happy New Year!

Caedrus.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:24 PM, Engorn said:

0baiS4s.png

My pledge for December. Yeah, I know, it should have been Rasputina's crew, but I'm still missing some miniatures from that keyword...

So, Ophelia and her kin, a bokor, a couple of bayou gremlins (damned Two gremlins in a ghillie suit upgrade), the alt bayou gator and Mr. Ngaatoro.

This was what I intended to paint this month... And I only managed to paint a Bayou gremlin (which is worth like 2-3SS). My mother got sick at early December. She's home now and quite well, but she needs lots of care and I am the one in charge of everything. So almost no time to paint this month (and lets see if I can paint on a regular basis from now on). So, @Caedrus, I'm afraid I use my mulligan on December... 😓

On 12/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, Maciej said:

I wish I could see your painting process, really curious about your technique. 

I painted it during a stream for Wyrd so it should be somewhere on their twitch/youtube channels I reckon?

18 soulstones - these two I painted at the end of 2021 only needed for the resin to dry before I oculd take pics and forgot to post them earlier :) That means I finished the month of December with a total of 43 soulstones :)

painters-challenge-dec2021-3.jpg

painters-challenge-dec2021-4.jpg

• Like 4