Nexus (Cadmus Keyword) Discussion

HomelessOne

14 hours ago, Traifan said:

Am I the only one who wishes there were more Hive upgrades, each with their own ways to utilize parasite tokens?

I think one issue they encountered with multiple upgrade options for a single crew like this is it tended to result in one upgrade everyone always took every time as being the best one. It is quite tricky to balance a crew around one Hive upgrade, I imagine, so balancing around several options would be pretty crazy.

14 hours ago, Traifan said:

Am I the only one who wishes there were more Hive upgrades, each with their own ways to utilize parasite tokens?

Did you ever play M2E? This was a little more the sort of thing they did then. 

Of course we don't know what the future holds, M2E did have new upgrades for each master come out in book 5, so its possible they will do something similar in M3 at some point. 

It even seems designed that way on purpose just in case they want to go that direction.... but not that they have to.  It's a structure that can be built upon, but doesn't have to be used.

I really like support masters, so I've realised Cadmus might be a crew I want to look at when it releases.

I've seen several comments about deploying the Shambling Nests right outside the opponent's deployment zone, but do people also have them deployed right in front of you? A cool Nexus turn one would be:

• Exoskeletal connection through a Nest to move a model ~8 inches and get a web marker.
  • Repeat, but ~6 inches this  time.
  • Repeat with one of the models pushed up the board.
  • Citizens of Malifaux.

That's an extra 18+ inches of movement for your crew turn one, which seems crazy powerful, positioning wise.

I am probably late to the party on this, of course xD

EDIT: I suppose you only need one model to get up there, so can use one nest for this and one for aggression? Or is there a model that efficiently walks into place for it?

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I really like support masters, so I've realised Cadmus might be a crew I want to look at when it releases.

I've seen several comments about deploying the Shambling Nests right outside the opponent's deployment zone, but do people also have them deployed right in front of you? A cool Nexus turn one would be:

• Exoskeletal connection through a Nest to move a model ~8 inches and get a web marker.
  • Citizens of Malifaux.

That's an extra 18+ inches of movement for your crew turn one, which seems crazy powerful, positioning wise.

EDIT: I suppose you only need one model to get up there, so can use one nest for this and one for aggression? Or is there a model that efficiently walks into place for it?

I usually have 1 6" away from the enemy(usually with hidden agenda), and 1 6" outside my deployment zone. Hidden Agends one charges in to gum up the works and try to put out a parasite token. 2nd one serves as a punching bag/node to get web markers out around for me to summon eyes and ears off of.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, santaclaws01 said:

I usually have 1 6" away from the enemy(usually with hidden agenda), and 1 6" outside my deployment zone. Hidden Agends one charges in to gum up the works and try to put out a parasite token. 2nd one serves as a punching bag/node to get web markers out around for me to summon eyes and ears off of.

Is the stat 4 enough to usually get a parasite token on turn one (where I assume they have plenty of cards to win the duels?)

Although gumming them up with one half of your totem is already a hell of a payoff.

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

• Citizens of Malifaux.

You can do this, but there are a few things to note - 

The web markers are placed next to the target before they move, so if you are using it to move models forwards, it is leaving the web markers in the deployment zone. (and so the Eyes and Ears will be near/in the deployment zone, which is often less useful). 

You can get ~18" movement, but it is taking 3 master AP to do this and you can only do this to places where you already have a model. 

Stat 4 is probably unlikely to get a parasite marker out, but I find the longer you can go until you have to activate it and make its attempts, the longer the opponent has to hold onto good enough cards to make sure that it fails. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adran said:

The web markers are placed next to the target before they move, so if you are using it to move models forwards, it is leaving the web markers in the deployment zone. (and so the Eyes and Ears will be near/in the deployment zone, which is often less useful). 

You can get ~18" movement, but it is taking 3 master AP to do this and you can only do this to places where you already have a model. 

Stat 4 is probably unlikely to get a parasite marker out, but I find the longer you can go until you have to activate it and make its attempts, the longer the opponent has to hold onto good enough cards to make sure that it fails. 

Great points!

I would also worry about survivability with trying this. Off the top of my head, efficient ways to kill a nearby nest if it doesn't activate early in the turn are:

• Manos shot (gives stagger as well, so rest of the turn you can take your time), + archie charge/flurry.
  • Grave golem hurl corpse + reva charge + reva attack.
  • Seamus one shots (with focus)

And each of those sequences effectively neutralises it on the first activation (stagger, engagement, and just killing it).

So it can be taken off the table pretty quickly/efficiently, and that's not counting all the things that can make it irrelevant (staggered on a willpower attack seems particularly brutal, but also summons, etc).

I've not seen it in practice, of course. Until now I had just assumed your first few activations had to include the nests or they get neutralised quickly.

26 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Is the stat 4 enough to usually get a parasite token on turn one (where I assume they have plenty of cards to win the duels?)

Although gumming them up with one half of your totem is already a hell of a payoff.

Definitely not always, which is where hidden agenda comes in. They don't know if you're trying to bait out their high cards or actually trying to force it through. If you're playing against a crew that has those df4 models then the nest becomes an even more serious threat.

• Like 1

Just now, santaclaws01 said:

Definitely not always, which is where hidden agenda comes in. They don't know if you're trying to bait out their high cards or actually trying to force it through. If you're playing against a crew that has those df4 models then the nest becomes an even more serious threat.

Ohhhh, yeah, the hidden agenda definitely mucks up the math on killing it!

38 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I would also worry about survivability with trying this. Off the top of my head, efficient ways to kill a nearby nest if it doesn't activate early in the turn are:

Well the good thing is you can see what the threats to your nest are, and hold it back if there are any.

Although at least with Seamus, I would definitely trade my shambling nest to get a parasite token onto him turn 1. Needs a 9 to get past terrifying sure, but if my highest card turn 1 is a 9 I have bigger problems anyways.

• Like 1

On 29.01.2021 at 12:29 PM, Adran said:

For 3 master's AP (and 3 points of damage from siphon power) you'll get:

1. ~18"  of movement, alloving your non-activated Meredith/Archivist/Spelleater to reach opponents on a first turn with ranged attacks

2. 3x Web markers, which can be used not only to summon EaE, but also for transforming them into Husks

3. 3 cards from siphoned power tomes. 

As I can see, it's a brilliant deal, especially on a first turn. 

9 hours ago, Domin said:

For 3 master's AP (and 3 points of damage from siphon power) you'll get:

1. ~18"  of movement, alloving your non-activated Meredith/Archivist/Spelleater to reach opponents on a first turn with ranged attacks

2. 3x Web markers, which can be used not only to summon EaE, but also for transforming them into Husks

3. 3 cards from siphoned power tomes. 

As I can see, it's a brilliant deal, especially on a first turn. 

When I play cadmus I don't go to this extreme because if you are gaining that much movement on models like Meredith you aren't placing webs in spots that your crew can use . I may do some of this, as a web marker in my deployment allows the crawler to return. I normally start with the archivist to drop a marker up field to allow the crawler free movement in its turn before it interacts and drops another web to get me enough markers for 3 eyes, and then I'll move 1 or two models up field with nexus, but I often expect turn1 combat, and I'd rather try and have nexus do it rather than the archivist, and can use the summoned eyes and ears  to lure nexus up.

But hey if 3 moves and 3 cards is what you want from a master, you should look at lucius. He ought to get you at least that much each turn. ( edit- although for that the extra 2 ap for nexus probably would still give him the edge).

• Like 1

It looks like that we have quite different stiles of playing) 

I don't rely on Nexus as a main attacker - since that her "close combat" attack lacks on damage and parasite token from it is simply ignored by discarding a card.

So I prefer to play Nexus as a summoner and controller, inflicting tons of damage with minions, parasite tokens and spraying damage wia We Are Legion.

Especially, I don't take Nightstalker, since he has a potential as a single schemer, not as part of a crew.)

So web markers for me is just a fuel to summon more EaE and turn them into Husks twice per turn - for Meredit and Crypto. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It's kind of sad the only guaranteed token givers are the Totems.

I understand why.... but I'd just like one more guaranteed way. Even like a Trigger on a Resisted Action with a TN on an Enforcer, just to get 1 more solid source.

10 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

It's kind of sad the only guaranteed token givers are the Totems.

I understand why.... but I'd just like one more guaranteed way. Even like a Trigger on a Resisted Action with a TN on an Enforcer, just to get 1 more solid source.

Meredith gives them guaranteed with two duels (first attack to give two poison, second attack gives two poison for four total meaning the trigger goes off).

I suspect they avoided italics specifically to make this work.

3 hours ago, Domin said:

It looks like that we have quite different stiles of playing) 

I don't rely on Nexus as a main attacker - since that her "close combat" attack lacks on damage and parasite token from it is simply ignored by discarding a card.

So I prefer to play Nexus as a summoner and controller, inflicting tons of damage with minions, parasite tokens and spraying damage wia We Are Legion.

Especially, I don't take Nightstalker, since he has a potential as a single schemer, not as part of a crew.)

So web markers for me is just a fuel to summon more EaE and turn them into Husks twice per turn - for Meredit and Crypto. 

Do you not find the stalker useful for handing out poison? Although I suppose it is the nature of poisoned attacks that it is a bit hard to combo with Meredith anyway.

4 hours ago, Domin said:

I find it hard to get the parasite tokens out, so the sooner I can start trying the better. 

But I also,when facing, don't worry about killing husks and eyes if I can get to something that matters, so you would very quickly hit the max and then have to spend the time getting them to me. ( at least we are legion gives you a good chance to switch damage to them.) But we have very different ways of playing. 

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Meredith gives them guaranteed with two duels (first attack to give two poison, second attack gives two poison for four total meaning the trigger goes off).

I suspect they avoided italics specifically to make this work.

Aww man, I didn't even notice that because I never get her close enough to any enemy models, I just use her to create Husks, drop scheme markers for more E&E summoning, & focus just in case things go bad.