VIDEOS:

Keyword Review by Whut

COLLECTING

Nexus Core: Nexus, 2 Shambling Nests, and 5 Eyes & Ears

"Hush" Box: Archivist and 3 Spelleaters

"Under Your Skin" Box: Meredith, Nightsilk Creeper, and 3 Berserker Husks

"Best Kept Secrets" Box: Nexus (One of Many) and Cavatica

• Like 1

I'm really curious about what the hidden ability & trigger are on the spelleaters' card.

The ability could be "we are legion" (it would makes sense to me that this is the crew's common ability, at least thematically speaking), but the length of the text seems pretty different. Though there have been some time between the 2 previews, so it's possible the ability changed in the meantime.

For the trigger I don't have much idea what it could be. Something about parasites maybe? Or just something that mentioned Cadmus models so they didn't want to show that.

• Agree 2

On 10/23/2020 at 12:49 PM, MajorUndead said:

I'm really curious about what the hidden ability & trigger are on the spelleaters' card.

The ability could be "we are legion" (it would makes sense to me that this is the crew's common ability, at least thematically speaking), but the length of the text seems pretty different. Though there have been some time between the 2 previews, so it's possible the ability changed in the meantime.

It must be we are legion, because siphon power it's very circunstancial abilitie in spelleaters.

Berserker Husks are interesting.  The ability to creep along towards enemy units once they have parasite tokens means they will be more mobile than they appear after the start. 2/3/5 isn't special but stat 6 on only a 6 cost is quite nice plus with ruthless and relentless they will counter certain models. Meredith can also turn an eyes and ears into one per turn.

Notable Observations:

• Always always always always take Flush with Cash. It protects Nexus (or Meredith, or Archivist), dis-incentivizes killing EyesAndEars or rewards you when your opponent does, and will almost always make 2+ stones back. Also, if enemies kill enemy models with Parasite tokens (Will of Cadmus "Obey") you get free stones.
  • If Nexus dies and Meredith gets the Cadmus Upgrade, she activates twice which lets you summon 2 Berserker Husks per turn.
  • Cryptologists unfortunately can't make extra Berserker Husks. Meredith's ability is "When this model activates", not "at the start of this model's activation"
  • Eyes and Ears require a 5/8/11/RJ card for 1/2/3/4 respectively - Aim for 3 on Turn 1
  • Irreducible damage can still be "We are Legion"ed onto enemies, even if you don't get the reduction.
  • We are Legion can be "chained" - Enemy is 12" away from Nexus. Nexus uses siphon power on Model A, Model A transfers to Model B, Model B transfers to Enemy. Same with Healing. Remember only once per model per activation.
  • Shambling Nests are crazy strong. 8 Wd H2W, heal 2 per attack, 2" engagement, From the Shadows, can be made to interact, spread Parasite tokens. They can clog up the enemy, or babysit objectives, or just be placed centrally as nodes for Nexus to attack from.
  • Eyes and Ears can babysit Authority Markers next to impassable terrain, such that enemies can't place in base contact with them, while still affecting the conflict with Lures from 12" away.
  • On turn 1, Archivist can Siphon Power to Inaudible Whisper > Draw a card & Web but deals 2 damage to friendlies, and/or Font of Knowledge on Nightsilk Creeper who can Web Strand to Web twice on the same model, stunning and staggering it.
  • Transmutation can be used on friendly models (at the cost of health) for Focus +2. Doing this with Nexus also gives them a Parasite Token which has no downside in non-mirror matches but does give Berserker Husks +2" on Creep Along
  • Expect Will of Cadmus to be around Stat 4-5 at first,  getting up to Stat 5-6 on Turn 2 with some parasite tokens and lots of EyesAndEars. As the game goes on and models die, I expect this will quickly fall to around 3-4 by Turn 4.
  • Meredith can Rancid Transplant Fast or Focused off enemy models with Parasite Tokens and onto your own. Or Focused from Eyes and Ears
  • The crew is squishy at worst, Urami at best. They have pseudo-armor from We Are Legion, but this doesn't always mitigate damage, just spread it around (especially at range), and can only be used once per activation per model. Tagging enemies with Parasite Tokens is essential to have roughly the same effect as Incorporeal and Vengeance. This also means the crew will perform better against melee-heavy crews than ranged.
  • Resistance Triggers can be laughed at between Berserker Husks shutting them off completely and Spelleaters eating all suits.

Notable OOK Synergies:

• Intrepid Effigy/Emissary is going to be strong in the crew. Not only can the healing be moved around, but the crew has a bunch of simple duels requiring 5's and 6's. Also Lead the Way gives another source of out of activation movement.
  • Botanists can easily get +2 grow tokens on Turn 1 when you remove Web Markers with Nexus and Meredith to summon.
  • Lamplighters can Push models 3" and heal 1/2/3 (within 2" of a Web or Lamp), Push healed models 1" once per activation, has Unimpeded (for Webs), Don't Mind Me, 2" Engagement, and Lit Markers give positive flips to friendly models. Squishy though, and 7+1 cost.
  • Harata Ngaatoro turns Poison into Distracted, gives minuses to Wp duels, hits really hard, and can drop 3 scheme markers on turn 1 for summoning while moving himself or friendlies 3" three times. I don't think it's enough to take him, but interesting.
  • Mr Ngaatoro shuts down SS use and triggers for poisoned enemies in 3, has an Obey with some strong triggers, reveals your opponent's hand, but most importantly gives all friendly models +1 Stat against other friendly models within 6". This effectively lowers some of your TNs, and improves your Stat with Cadmus against Parasite Token'd models, giving Nexus Stat 8, Archivist Stat 7, Nightsilk Stat 8, and Spelleaters Stat 7 with their primary attacks.
  • Winston Finnigan is amazing as always, and in this crew can charge and double attack first turn to drop 2 scheme markers to summon from for 2 damage on himself. You can suffer the slow or remove it with Nexus, and heal Finnigan with Intrepid Effigy or Meredith

Questions:

1. When drawing LoS/Range from another model, can a model attack itself? Can a model attack the model it's drawing LoS/Range from with a melee attack?
  2. Does a model need to have Wd missing to "We Are Legion" healing onto another model?
  3. Can Transmutation remove/give Fast, Slow, Adversary, Stunned, Staggered or do those not count as "conditions with a value"?
  4. What do you guys think is the best line for generating 3 Schemes or Webs + 1 Corpse or Web on first turn for Summoning 2 Eyes and Ears and 1 Berserker Husk?
  • Like 4

The crew seems like they have a tone of neat versatility and shenanigans but I'm not totally sold on what they excel at. They are slow and made even more so by the fact that the nightsilk creeper is the only thing that actually ignores the web markers as terrain. They seem like they want to bubble a fair amount and lock down the center field and the nest can either help with this or extend early and harass your opponents lines. Granted, who knows what new schemes and strats will be coming down the line but I have a hard time evaluating what I would specifically take this crew for over another keyword yet. Outside of the fact of course that they are delightful looking. Live for the swarm.  

1 hour ago, Whut said:
  1. When drawing LoS/Range from another model, can a model attack itself? Can a model attack the model it's drawing LoS/Range from with a melee attack?
  2. Does a model need to have Wd missing to "We Are Legion" healing onto another model?
  3. Can Transmutation remove/give Fast, Slow, Adversary, Stunned, Staggered or do those not count as "conditions with a value"?
  4. What do you guys think is the best line for generating 3 Schemes or Webs + 1 Corpse or Web on first turn for Summoning 2 Eyes and Ears and 1 Berserker Husk?

1. Unfortunately for Nexus, no, a model cannot target itself with attack actions, though I don't see why the model it's drawing from couldn't be targeted.

image.thumb.png.901f90431ff3d974a75d755f302677ef.png Page 23 of the Core Rulebook

2. I'm inclined to say no here as well, unfortunately again. That said, it might work, but I would expect something more like "When this model would heal..." if that's how it works.

image.thumb.png.03cc5e2d39fea07cdeb6a39dd98624f1.png Page 25

3. As far as I know, only conditions with a +X value count as having a value, so no Fast/Slow/etc.

image.thumb.png.9d82c1c4224c8acb54570879790545ec.png Page 29

4. From what I can see, though I may well have missed something, Nightsilk's Create Web, then Nexus' Exoskeletal Connection x 3. Not the most efficient, but it does get 4 web markers in 2 activations, and you can still do the summon, as that's a bonus. That said, I'm not sure you really want to be hard summoning turn 1 in your deployment, as the summons are pretty slow and seem designed to be up in the enemy crew as much as possible for their pulses and such. That said, that's the only web marker generation I can see in the keyword, which seems oddly sparse. I would've thought at least the Shambling Nests would have it?

1 hour ago, Xekros said:

From what I can see, though I may well have missed something, Nightsilk's Create Web, then Nexus' Exoskeletal Connection x 3. Not the most efficient, but it does get 4 web markers in 2 activations, and you can still do the summon, as that's a bonus. That said, I'm not sure you really want to be hard summoning turn 1 in your deployment, as the summons are pretty slow and seem designed to be up in the enemy crew as much as possible for their pulses and such. That said, that's the only web marker generation I can see in the keyword, which seems oddly sparse. I would've thought at least the Shambling Nests would have it?

We aren't forced to Summon in our deployment zone. Nexus can summon up to 12" away using Omni Influence, and Meredith can be moved up before she activates using Exoskeletal Connection, Lure, or other pushes. Alternatively, one EyesAndEars can move back towards Meredith, and on Turn 2 the resulting Berserker will likely have a Parasite Token to push 6" towards

Marker Options (And "Costs"):

• Scheme Markers
  • 3x Nexus > Exoskeletal Connection (Place Target (Unless Staggered!))
  • 2x Archivist > Inaudible Whisper > Tome Trigger (2 Min Damage, +1 From Siphon)
  • 2x Nightsilk > Web Strand > Tome Trigger (Staggered, Stunned, 1 From Siphon For Archivist Font of Knowledge)
  • 1x Nightsilk > Create Web

I see something like this: (for Corner Deployment, there's a variant where you can get 12" up the board but take a little more damage)

1. Berserker activates (Can also be done with a nest which starts 8" forward, which might be better if you don't need both Nests elsewhere)
    1. Moves 8" up the board
    2. Drops a Scheme Marker (Total 1)
  2. Archivist Activates
    1. Font of Knowledge Nightsilk for Tomes,
    2. Whisper Berserker for 2 damage + draw a card + Web Marker (Total 2)
    3. Bonus action to place 4" (+Base Size) Forward
    4. (Siphon Power goes on three of Nexus, Meredith, Nightsilk, Effigy who will all heal it off using Meredith's Aura)
  3. Nightsilk activates, places 8" up the board next to the Web
    1. Bonus Action create a Web (Total 3)
    2. Web Strand Berserker twice to create two more Webs (Total 5)
    3. Berserker is now Stunned and Staggered
  4. Intrepid Effigy activates
    1. Moves Nexus forward 4"
    2. Moves Meredith forward 4"
  5. Nexus activates.
    1. Citizens of Malifaux from Berserker - summon 3 EAE, removing scheme and 2 Webs(Total 2)
      1. One of these should be from a Web Marker behind the Berserker such that the resulting EAE is within 4" of Nexus for Siphon Power
    2. Exoskeleton from EAE, targeting Meredith. Draw a card. (Total possibly +1 if it's close enough but I won't count it)
    3. Exoskeleton from Meredith, targeting Berserker. Berserker doesn't move. Shed Skin to clear conditions. Drop Web (Total 3)
    4. Last AP free to fix mistakes or Focus
  6. Meredith activates, Creates a Berserker2 who has 6 Health, removing a Web (Total 2)
    1. Bonus Action move Nexus or someone else forward 4"
    2. Focus or Move
    3. Drop a scheme marker (Total 3)
  7. New Berserker heals 1 (Total 7) and starts gunning towards the enemy
  8. Eyes and Ears x2 heal 1 if applicable and either spread out, lure some stuff, or gun it towards the enemy
  9. You're perfectly set up to summon 3 eyes and ears on Turn 2

5 hours ago, Whut said:

Cryptologists unfortunately can't make extra Berserker Husks. Meredith's ability is "When this model activates", not "at the start of this model's activation"

Those are functionally the same thing.

5 hours ago, Whut said:

What do you guys think is the best line for generating 3 Schemes or Webs + 1 Corpse or Web on first turn for Summoning 2 Eyes and Ears and 1 Berserker Husk?

I've been deploying one of my shambling nests 6" forward. Archivist activates, jumps forward with his bonus action and then attacks the nest twice dealing usually 3 damage and losing one of his shielded, and then however many siphons I need for his trigger. Draws 2 cards and gets 2 web markers at the nest. Then the nightsilk teleports forward, creates web and drops a scheme marker. Now nexus has 4 scheme and web markers to summon with when it activates, and if I do have the RJ turn 1, and haven't already used it giving a parasite token with my other nest, Nexus will summon what it can and exoskeletal connection the rest of the crew forward(usually meredith and a spelleater).

11 hours ago, Whut said:

Notable Observations:

• Always always always always take Flush with Cash. It protects Nexus (or Meredith, or Archivist), dis-incentivizes killing EyesAndEars or rewards you when your opponent does, and will almost always make 2+ stones back. Also, if enemies kill enemy models with Parasite tokens (Will of Cadmus "Obey") you get free stones.
  • If Nexus dies and Meredith gets the Cadmus Upgrade, she activates twice which lets you summon 2 Berserker Husks per turn.

1 hahaha Didn't think about link between that but... ^^

2 if you have enough web. 😕

Fun fact you can give to parasited model 1 wond even if the attack is irreductible with we are legion.

And never play cadmus without Nexus. Because it's the upgrade of Nexus who transforms parasited models in friendly cadmus.

And with this upgrade, each time a model is killed by a parasite, the bounty comes to the model with the ability, so often Nexus.

11 hours ago, Whut said:

Questions:

1 You can't target yourself with an attack. You can target the model you use to draw line of sight. 

2 the heal gets cancelled when it can't raise the wounds total. We are legion moves the heal effect before it gets here.  So yes you can "steal' the heal from a fully healthy model. 

3 no. Conditions with out a value are not conditions with a value. 

4 there are 100s of ways. I don't think you need to put a model in your crew specially. I find exoskeleton often good for 2 webs on the first turn. Or archivist created 1 web from a nest, crawler leaps to it, drops a scheme and another web. 

The best way will change based on what you need each game

Yea so if, lets say a nest hits an enemy (within 1 inch) and gives it a parasite token, Nexus 12" away can attack it from the Nest, then attack it from itself for 1/3/4 + discard or 2 irreducible + Trigger at Stat 7 each. That's a bit gross.

Relenting against Seamus seems amazing and only requires one Token for the whole game

What do you think of spelleaters? I'm not impressed but really want to be. Friendly models can't declare triggers against them. They're walk 5 with no movement actions or abilities. Their damage track is weak and flat. The 6" discard bubble only gives burning or poison, which might do 1 or 2 significant damage all game and they don't really want to be nor have the options to get that close to the enemy to begin with. They have to focus constantly to ignore concealment or friendly fire. On the bright side, their bonus action is awesome and stealing enemy suits guarentees you'll be triggering something on every attack. 

23 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

Tanennbaum is great with Cadmus. Honestly, Tannenbaum is just supergood in any crew, but Cadmus also has enough healing to get the best of him.

He's also a model that uses a 13 to score a point, only for that is already OP.

Uses a 13 to score a point? What exactly do you mean? You still have to fulfill the new scheme's conditions to score VP, so I can see this being useful in some pools but definitely not the primary reason to take him since it's so inconsistent 

After taking a look though - wow, definitely lots of synergy 

1 hour ago, Whut said:

Uses a 13 to score a point? What exactly do you mean? You still have to fulfill the new scheme's conditions to score VP, so I can see this being useful in some pools but definitely not the primary reason to take him since it's so inconsistent 

It's like an insurance. Vendetta/Hidden Martyrs/Catch and Release target is dead? No worries, let me get another point for something else. Is it always going to be relevant? Like an insurance policy, not always. However, you're going to love it if you bring him and you ended up needing him.

Also, he can remove all the 13s in the enemy deck (or all your 1s) and doesn't allow your opponent to save any card between turns, so only being there is already awesome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Whut said:

After taking a look though - wow, definitely lots of synergy 

You can make 1 point on both schemes and prepare the 2nd for another one, if you see you cannot score the second of one of the first schemes you were playing...

Just now, ShinChan said:

It's like an insurance. Vendetta/Hidden Martyrs/Catch and Release target is dead? No worries, let me get another point for something else. Is it always going to be relevant? Like an insurance policy, no, when you're going to love it if you bring him and you need it.

Also, he can remove all the 13s in the enemy deck (or all your 1s) and doesn't allow your opponent to save any card between turns, so only being there is already awesome.

And its versatil... I would pay an extra SS to play OOK everygame.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A_Rabid Nun said:

Unless I am misreading the card, you can Rancid Transplant on any enemy model, they don't need to have a parasite token.

You can, but if they have a parasite token you can count them as the friendly model and so end a condition on them.

• Haha 1