Nellie's Squeal Timing and Strength?

Yore Huckleberry

TOTALLY new player here going to my first tourney today ... which will also represent my first full Malifaux games ever! To make it nice and easy on myself, I, y'know, picked up Nellie Cochrane as a Master. I've played skirmish games with crunchy timing mechanics before, so I thought, "Hey, why not?"

Anyway: I obviously ran smack into a ton of questions about particulars. I think I've answered some (e.g., the interaction between her 2i and 8i bonuses off opposing interacts), but haven't figured out:

Df (Msk) Squeal: Enemy Only. After resolving, this model may move up to 3".

My two questions:

1) Am I correct that this timing means that Nellie can't "squeal" out of melee range or break LoS in a way that cancels the attack? That is -- it looks like she simply gets to move after the attack "resolves," so she takes the first hit, but then has a chance to run/hide?

2) Can Nellie leave engagement range of melee on a squeal, or do you have to leave engagement range through the disengage action, or by some effect that explicitly allows it?

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, admiralvorkraft said:

1 - correct. 

2 - you absolutely can squeal out of melee. The only restriction on leaving melee is on the walk action. 

Thanks!

Too bad about the timing being correct. For a second I thought this was an incredibly powerful ability that basically force the enemy to somehow stop Nellie's movement in order to hit her whatsoever. Even so, 12 health, interact healing, and the fact that she should be able to play corner cover to avoid taking more than one hit per non-Master activation makes me feel decently confident about her survivability.

1 - As previously mentioned, you're correct on the timing, but do keep in mind that it always works, even if she doesn't get hit, so unless they have some way of turning off Df triggers or removing suits fro duel totals, she will get that 3 inch push every time an enemy targets her Df. Also, you'll probably have some focus from enemy interacts that you've forced, so she'll probably be harder to hit in the first place due to that.

2 - The Walk and Charge actions specifically disallow it, so any other form of movement can get you out of engagement. Charging can actually move through engagements if you don't start there, but that's probably a rather niche case.

Probably a bit later than relevant, but good luck.

6 hours ago, Xekros said:

2 - The Walk and Charge actions specifically disallow it

only walk action prevents getting out of engagement. While engage you normally can't charge except for certain models. So if a model is allowed to charge while engage (a few models have this special ability) he can leave engagement range by charging! ;)

@Cursed25 in the case presented by the question (model is engaged and trying to not be) both have stipulations preventing that. They are different, yes, but in this case, they have the same effect. Furthermore, the point I was trying to make was that Walk and Charge have stipulations related to engagement built into them, which other movements don't necessarily have. Obviously, there are some models that counteract all of these rules, but they're not helpful for a baseline understanding.

3 hours ago, Adran said:

At the moment I don't think you can. Wyrd produces the rules for models, and then spends the next year producing the models. I haven't seen them on the upcoming release list yet either, but I've not looked that closely

I remember a sculpt of two men wearing a horse costume or a guy in a barrel. But I can imagine wyrd being heavily occupied by the M3E release chaos. Same for false witness.

1 hour ago, Humphrey said:

I remember a sculpt of two men wearing a horse costume or a guy in a barrel. But I can imagine wyrd being heavily occupied by the M3E release chaos. Same for false witness.

That was concept art they releases before the beta.  The undercover changed, it doesn't look like the concept art for the false witness has changed.