Sonnia Criid Crew & Tactics

Michael Curran

54 minutes ago, malifauxkly said:
Any comments for my list (not tried yet)
Or I shall use stalker instead?

Sonnia Criid
Purifying Flame
Samael Hopkins (9)
Witchling Handler (7)
Witchling Handler (7)
Pale Rider (11)
Guild Steward (6)
Brutal Effigy (4)

Soulstones= 6

Swap one handler for a Thrall, and the Effigy for a Stalker and have 4 Soulstones, then go set things on fire.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Think of the stalkers and Flame as guided missiles, with the added bonus of tying up some models until they explode. They have next to no defense, and will die, so try to take as many things with them as you can. The Handler's speed buff aura and Consolidate Power are very helpful for that, but the aura only works on Minions (I was very sad when I found that out).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xekros said:

Think of the stalkers and Flame as guided missiles, with the added bonus of tying up some models until they explode. They have next to no defense, and will die, so try to take as many things with them as you can. The Handler's speed buff aura and Consolidate Power are very helpful for that, but the aura only works on Minions (I was very sad when I found that out).

It did upset me too, but then I realised I could still get the Purifying Flame into the enemy line on Turn 1, even without Goad the Witchling, so its not much of a loss.  At least Sonnia has one of the few summon abilities that aren't Minion-only so you can keep recycling it!

The fact that it's 2SS makes resummoning it even better, as I don't think anything costs less than that. The first time I played it, I missed the Burning pulse on activation, so I lit half my crew on fire, which was awkward.

The main problem is stacking the burning high enough to summon off of without killing the target outright.

Also, depending on circumstances, it may be worth using Sonnia to kill a Stalker/Flame to light the surrounding models on fire, then get 2 blasts off of them with impunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Xekros said:

The fact that it's 2SS makes resummoning it even better, as I don't think anything costs less than that. The first time I played it, I missed the Burning pulse on activation, so I lit half my crew on fire, which was awkward.

The main problem is stacking the burning high enough to summon off of without killing the target outright.

Also, depending on circumstances, it may be worth using Sonnia to kill a Stalker/Flame to light the surrounding models on fire, then get 2 blasts off of them with impunity.

I managed to summon a lot with Sonnia without stacking burning!

Most of the time Sonnia just by herself will dmg a lot the first time she uses flameburst while giving 2 burning automatically! Lots of minions have 4-5 health and with one moderate flameburst on a lot of 5ss minions you are now in range of a Scorch the Soul kill/witchling stalker summon!

I'm very happy she doesn't need burning=cost like Lynch for exemple because it's way harder to summon big models. With Sonnia any high cost model with 1-2 health and 1-2 burning can become a Thrall. Keyword has a lot of dmg potential and lots of attacks gives out burning. I've never had trouble summoning with her!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, 4thstringer said:

Which is intersting because I think you should take full advantage of that 14"  range  to attack from afar.

Her Hazardous Aura is for when your opponent sends his master or a beater/tank to tie her up. I have played one game where Sonnia has good LOS all game and never took the Walk action at all.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, explorator said:

Her Hazardous Aura is for when your opponent sends his master or a beater/tank to tie her up. I have played one game where Sonnia has good LOS all game and never took the Walk action at all.

Hazardous is really strong this edition and you will make a lot of beaters think twice before charging into Sonnia with her aura up! 

1 minute ago, Cursed25 said:

Hazardous is really strong this edition and you will make a lot of beaters think twice before charging into Sonnia with her aura up! 

Don't get me wrong, I think that her hazardous aura is good, but if I am making a gameplan around Sonnia, is is starting with that range, not with the Hazardous.

That being said, during the beta, I did run a Sonnia Close Combat list.  That was before they changed shielded, so it was reducing by the amount of sheilded then reducing, so I was stacking shielded on her with lawyers.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, Xekros said:

What about the box on page 26 that says you cannot have Blasts off targeting friendly models?

4 hours ago, Cursed25 said:

but he said there would be blasts and Stonewall is right, there's no blast when targetting friendly models

I understood :

first AP : you kill your model, and put burning on opponents with the demise

second AP : you attack burning opponents without cover/conceal to get severe and blast from them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, le_wahou said:

I understood :

first AP : you kill your model, and put burning on opponents with the demise

second AP : you attack burning opponents without cover/conceal to get severe and blast from them

That's basically what I meant, though I could have said it more clearly.

AP 1: kill stalker for pulse

AP 2/3: two blast attacks on the now on fire enemies

This is really only good if the stalker won't die to your opponents quickly enough, as all 3 attacks on opponents is obviously better. Sometimes they don't kill it because of the demise and inevitable subsequent face melting by Sonnia.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cronex13 said:

On the note of blasts off of friendly models:

I'm not seeing anything on page 26 talking about that, but I have the digital version. Can someone post a pic?

I ask because Domadors using Decay off a friendly model is a tactic I was thinking of, but if it won't work...

It's the last sentence in the blast rules.

1 hour ago, Cronex13 said:

So it is. Damn. Probably a good thing though.

In M2e it was used a lot with Sonnia to put lots of blast markers over enemy models while they could do nothing which was frustrating! This is why they changed it in M3e! Also for the Domador they can still target your living models with it if you want to guarantee the heal! ;) but if you want the injured on nearby enemy models you'll have to work for it!

• 1 month later...

I am building a Sonnia crew at the moment and thinking about some srategie in getting the most out of her and her crew. At the moment I'm playing Hoffman, Lady J and Perdita as Masters. But I am still not sure when (what strats / schemes / opponents) I should choose to play Sonnia instead of the others? What's her niche? Where is she better than the other Masters we have?

Against ranged crews or crews with aura actions that buff friendlies her smothering flame can be handy. Her blasts can punish crews that bunch up a lot. 

I'm not sure her keyword really excels at any strat compared to others, she's killy but the keyword isn't super tanky so reckoning and Turf war seem risky. 

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Against ranged crews or crews with aura actions that buff friendlies her smothering flame can be handy. Her blasts can punish crews that bunch up a lot. 

I'm not sure her keyword really excels at any strat compared to others, she's killy but the keyword isn't super tanky so reckoning and Turf war seem risky. 

One thing I've found with m3e is that bunching up happens. Once the fight is engaged, those 0 and 1 inch melees make it almost impossible to not be close to someone else. Its pretty easy to hit at least 2 models with Sonnia and honestly that's all you need. Anything more than 2 is just icing on the big ole burning cake. As far as reckoning, sure you can probably push out 2 points, but you have to kill 3 models in a turn to get the 3rd or kill Sonnia which isn't very likely. Meanwhile Sonnia can reliably take down enemy henches and kill 3 models in a turn thanks to burning stacking up. 

• Like 2