Sonnia Criid Crew & Tactics

Michael Curran

Not a veteran from any stretch, but having played Sonnia last nigh,t her ability: Smothering flame is really useful if you can rack up the burning, through Sam, Sanctioned Spellcasters and Witchlings (punching or exploding, both work quite well).  Sanctioned Spell casters make for great scheme runners, their fast for being close to any models able to use Soulstones (Sonnia, Sam, Handlers and Quellers) makes them very mobile (double move and interact) wouldn't advise using it if you want to firebomb your opponent as with the -1 to duel totals built into that means with out some lucky top decking or cheating high cards. Handlers can make Stalkers viable runners also bumping their Mv by 2" while they're within 6" also makes it easier for Sonnia to hang back out of combat but close enough to fling those fireballs from relative safety. Most of the crew having shielded helps survivability the Thralls having Hard to Wound helps and they benefit from the Handler buff too and ruthless makes it easier to get rid of those painful to remove terrifying monsters forcing you to burn high cards just to hit them.

Don't forget no love for witchlings either, the ability to pin your opponent then fling fire at them without the negative flip is golden.

Hope some of that rambling is useful :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iron_Wolf said:

Not a veteran from any stretch, but having played Sonnia last nigh,t her ability: Smothering flame is really useful if you can rack up the burning, through Sam, Sanctioned Spellcasters and Witchlings (punching or exploding, both work quite well).  Sanctioned Spell casters make for great scheme runners, their fast for being close to any models able to use Soulstones (Sonnia, Sam, Handlers and Quellers) makes them very mobile (double move and interact) wouldn't advise using it if you want to firebomb your opponent as with the -1 to duel totals built into that means with out some lucky top decking or cheating high cards. Handlers can make Stalkers viable runners also bumping their Mv by 2" while they're within 6" also makes it easier for Sonnia to hang back out of combat but close enough to fling those fireballs from relative safety. Most of the crew having shielded helps survivability the Thralls having Hard to Wound helps and they benefit from the Handler buff too and ruthless makes it easier to get rid of those painful to remove terrifying monsters forcing you to burn high cards just to hit them.

Don't forget no love for witchlings either, the ability to pin your opponent then fling fire at them without the negative flip is golden.

Hope some of that rambling is useful :)

So far; so good

I played Sonnia several times at the end of beta, so here's a few things to keep in mind:

Unfortunately, the Handler's aura only affects minions, so you can't use it for the totem, though it does work for thralls. That said, using the totem to walk twice and then Hovering Flame is a very good way to start your burning engine. It's actually best if it dies in the middle of the enemy crew, since it will pulse out burning and damage, and if you kill literally anything with Scorch the Soul you can summon it back.

The totem will cause everything within :new-Pulse:2 to gain Burning +1 when it activates, don't start it in the middle of your crew if you can help it.Don't worry too much about the opponent removing burning. If you can force a single shot of Sonnia through, they'll be on fire again, though I would recommend leading with Sam, as he applies burning on all his shots as well. Additionally, the Ricochet trigger will apply burning, since it's damage from a :rangedaction.

Don't forget to use Creep Along and Consolidate Power, they drastically up your mobility.

I don't know if that really answered your question, but I hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wizuriel said:

Just curious but what do people feel are key models with Sonnia? I feel like I have a ton of Guild, yet no crews that are really usable right now

Steward is the first model I reach for.  After that one model to push her forward with the second to last activation, whether that is Pale rider, mounted guard, or guardian.  I know others on here have said pathfinders, since they can push sonnia at the start of the turn to get her disengaged, but I'm not as concerned about that myself tbh.  I like card draw with her, so someone like Judge, alan reid or allison dade could get you some nice card draw.  Other than that, she works with so much stuff that I think you should try a bunch and see what you like.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

It scares me that Sonia is DF 4

I felt the same way, but so far it really hasn't been a problem in my games.  I think LLC +shielded is a part of that, I think the pale rider and stewards healing is a part, but honestly I'm still waiting to face a crew that makes me very worried about her safety.   I'll even Stone just for the resistance trigger to set up my opponent to get scorched.

Just remember, if they get close you can always summon off of them.

I've found quellers felxible enough to run down flanks with a Sanctioned, allowing me to get witchlings, handler (s) and Sonnia down the middle pushing the crew back.

I also really like the crew for any corner/flank deployment as the range on most models allows thern to cover each other and always interact with the enemy crews.

+1 vote for keeping Sonnia back a bit throwing fireballs, but people will always try to close on her and her healing sword helps a lot personally.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dark Reaper said:

I am more and more subscribing to the notion that Sonnia is just a really good secondary master. Your Basse list looked intriguing and she also looks tempting with Nellie or Lucius. I think it's a combination of her simply being a great dmg dealer as well as having a great and cheap totem.

I actually had a conversation with my brother about whether Sonnia is going to end up an almost autotake second master.  She seem to work well with almost everyone.  She can hold/deny a flank on her own, and if your opponent doesn't respect what she can do to them she can cause massive casualties.  

I'm sure we will find some things she isn't good in (Zipp comes to mind).  But right now the only thing that is stoppipng me from taking her as a second every game is that I can't afford both her and Pale rider in one crew, and I don't want my group to stop playing with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HowNot2Wargame said:

I would personally take Perdita for a 2nd Master as you get similar dmg from distance (more focused then spread out sure) and Kicking Cans can be a total life saver, and probably more useful in guild then summoning witchlings personally.

Honestly I think it will depend on matchup.  So far this edition, my opponents can't seem to help themselves from bunching up and letting me blast or pulse all over them.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HowNot2Wargame said:

I would personally take Perdita for a 2nd Master as you get similar dmg from distance (more focused then spread out sure) and Kicking Cans can be a total life saver, and probably more useful in guild then summoning witchlings personally.

I suggested switching perdita into that list and my opponents were all very excited for that.  

9 minutes ago, malifauxkly said:
Any comments for my list (not tried yet)
Or I shall use stalker instead?

Sonnia Criid
Purifying Flame
Samael Hopkins (9)
Witchling Handler (7)
Witchling Handler (7)
Pale Rider (11)
Guild Steward (6)
Brutal Effigy (4)

Soulstones= 6

Why the double witching handler?

I haven’t played Sonnia much so more of a question than suggesting you change it. 

The handlers are more a support for other witchling. They have 1 useful action to give burning without los which can be used to prepare Sonnia's blasts.You could maybe bring the 2 as flankers if it is useful on strat/scheme. Otherwise I would rather take a thrall or a versatile / out of keyword model than the second