Give me some insight on Leveticus please

geer

Hello together, after being cast out from the Neverborn (because all the masters I played are 'gone' in M3E) I found shelter in the Bayou.
Haveing a great time here but started keeping an eye on Leveticus. I find him really tempting but he and his crew also feels a bit odd to me (which makes him even more tempting xD) .

Has anyone of you played him since the M3E Release and can give me some insight on him?
Which strategy and Scheme pool fits the old engineer? And when would you leave him at home?
And against which Crews would you field him and which don't?

Any out of keyword models you like with him and why?

Tell me everything you think you know! I'm curious! :D

The Crew is both quite tanky and killy, even at long range. You have access to irredicible damage, demises, executes, healing and healing prevention etc.

You should avoid trigger preventing crews, because Unmade is an important part of your crew.

Crews with Obey can be dangerous. E.g. they can make Alice execute Leveticus.

You can take Leveticus and his totems into other crews as well. He's a killer.

Emissary is always a good choice  for OOK model.

Ah, Levi..... you've seduced another one.

So Amalgam holds a weird place in how they work. One thing you will always see is Irreducible Damage (i refer to it as iDamage).  No armor, no shielding, no soul stone reduction... you just take it to the face!

If you are far away, they shoot you with iDamage.  If you attack them, you just take iDamage.  Levi will cause iDamage to himself to cause more iDamage to you.  And on top of that, he has someone who can break the rules and stop them from taking iDamage!

If you are around them, you just take damage which actually heals Levi. Sometimes, if Levi kills your model, your model becomes one of his Abominations.  And finally if you kill Levi, he'll just pop back up somewhere on the table with most of his wounds back and start over again; if you kill his big beaters, they become other models that can reform back into a big beater again.  If your not careful you'd have to beat the core of his crew twice, all while taking continual iDamage.

Amalgam is killy, hearty, and annoying to your opponent.

• Like 1

The person I play normally doesn't have Scavengers yet, but I hear from other people they are a game changer... luckily, they come in the new core box.

Punk Zombies without a doubt are your next important purchase... maybe even before A&D, honestly.

I personally am a Hamelin player, so I'd be the jerk running all 8 Abominations.  But since Abominations lost the ability to create more Abominations, I'd say Desolation Engine would be your next major buy after A&D.

I don't know where Marlena fits in as I have yet to play against her in this keyword.

• Agree 1

There is no box, but this is the art that was dropped.

Seeing as Abominations are (8) and the Desolation Engine (2), they'll most likely be in boxes of 4 & 1, A&D will be it's own box for all three models, which only leaves Marlena to be her own box.  Going by all the other core boxes [Master, Totem(s), Henchmen, & 3 Minions], this looks like the route they will go.

WaldosWeekly_0619_LeveticusGroup_medium.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

There is no box, but this is the art that was dropped.

Seeing as Abominations are (8) and the Desolation Engine (2), they'll most likely be in boxes of 4 & 1, A&D will be it's own box for all three models, which only leaves Marlena to be her own box.  Going by all the other core boxes [Master, Totem(s), Henchmen, & 3 Minions], this looks like the route they will go.

WaldosWeekly_0619_LeveticusGroup_medium.jpg

Love that art. Might have to try him out once that box drops! 

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers. 

I'll have the chance to try Levi soon. Found someone who lends me his Crew. :)

I also heard that Pride fits his Playstyle well. Maybe I'll try him too. 

16 hours ago, Davos said:

I personally would say Deso Engine isn't a hardcore prioirity, I've never hired one, nor even actually summoned him in 20+ games with Levi.  I find scavengers and rusty, along with A&D and a necropunk or 2 are your core list.

What do you use the Scavengers for? 

Ok, explanation time: @geer

They're kinda the best model ever.  To begin:  Tools for the Job - great cycle card, replenish your high value cards to your hand.  Then, bonus action (name i'm to lazy to check) lets you eat an enemy scheme marker within 2 for a card - insanely good denial tech, and can surprise your opponent to no end, but more on that in a moment.  Their attacks are pretty average, but blasts (on the shotgun) and severe injury (on the melee) are nice if they happen.

BUT...the main reason you bring the Scavenger is Weird Device which, for the cost of a 7, gives a friendly model Focus +1.  And I'm sure you're thinking, "that's not that good, Tenuki are a soulstone cheaper and give out focus 237 different ways, all for 6s or less" BUT, the FOUR triggers of the scavenger are GOLD. On a ram, the target heals 2.  On a Tome, draw a card.  On a Crow, target suffers 2 damage and gains FAST.  And lastly, the mask lets you place the Scav anywhere within range (8inches).

So, yes, the Ram trigger is kinda niche, but useful when you need it. The Tome to draw a card is always nice, but the Crow and Mask are INSANE.  The 8in place lets you jump around, setting up scheming, Strategy positioning, or counter-scheming (#eatthoseschememarkers), and you're opponent can't do anything to prevent it.  Then, the crow trigger in essence create a model which is now FAST AND FOCUSED.  Which is good for basically any midrange-on-up beater model in the game.  And then becomes literally broken when done to Rusty Aylce, who has one of the best guns in the entire game (Sh 6, Range 12, 3/4/5, ignores H2W).  Rusty becomes a walking gun turret, since Rapid Fire lets her Shoot 4 times, or 3 if you need to walk to get in position.  And with a stat 6 gun, she'll hit most anything you aim at, even if they're in cover.  And min 3 damage is crazy at range.

Ok, end rant.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leveticus
   + Servant of Dark Power
2 x Hollow Waif
A&D
Rusty Alyce
Scavenger
Necropunk
Prospector
13 ss for changes or models needed for Scenario / Enemy (markers removal, addtional scavenger, conditions etc.)

What do you think? I want to create universal list for Levi, so I can try to learn him. I know that something can block me easily, it's more about general idea. Any changes?
Thaks for help in advance

• 3 weeks later...

I did my first game with Levi.

My list was:
Levi + Servant
  Waif
  Waif
Rusty + Servant
Scavenger
Necropunk
Midnight Stalker
Deso Engine + Upgrade that gives swagger

Me enemy was something like: Mei Feng + Her totem + metal gamin + arachnid swart + Neil + Pig from Gremlin + Rail Golem + Rail worker

Schemes were turf war, take prisoner, breakthrough, Harness line, Vendetta, Search Ruins

Quick summary:
- Levi was killing everything, low wounds (Rail worker, Mei totem etc.) helped. Bonus action to check 3 cards is great, I found black jokers once and correctly set cards to max outcome (for example got 1,2,13, so set 13 and 2 as focused attack and discarded 1 for better result)
- T1 I got red joker and picked it twice over next turns with Scavenger.
- Deso Engine was bad, 3 df was easy target for Neil, one activation and it died, I will take A&D next time for sure.
- NecroPunk + Stalker did all schemes from my side, I think that I will aim for 2 x NecroPunk and leave Stalker in box.
- Biggest mistake from my side was setting traps with Rusty, I was thinking that those are removed after ANYTHING touches it, so I set them next to my models, enemy rail golem pushed rusty in middle of one, I got something like 3 dmg and 3 injury only from it, never again will make this mistake :(
- Turf War was easy because I killed enemy models from range and flipped markers to Neutral, also I summoned 1 Abomination that helped me with my markers
- I think that "Servant" is only good upgrade for this crew. HTK only works on living :( and third one is simply weak
- I think that staple crew for levi is: Levi / 2 x Waif / Rusty / 1 x Necro / 1 x Scavenger. It gives basic power for killing and Schemes, allows support in Keyword (Scavenger), and can be tailored to any enemy or stats (more killing power, markers removal, healing, tanking etc).

- I am weak with other schemes, so no feedback on it, but it looks that any NecroPunk excel at getting in enemy deployment zone / half of table and playing hide and seek there.
- I missed a card draw, but scavenger gave me few chances to work with my hand and it was great
- I didn't check stats for Arachnid Swarm and I should. This model is a beast and can tear apart anything. But it also costs 8ss and that should caught my attention
- First impression is that Levi and his keyword will crush any enemy with low wound counts and tricky def mechanics and it can make pressure T1 (Servant upgrade and "pew pew pew" from first activation)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jafar said:

Deso Engine was bad, 3 df was easy target for Neil, one activation and it died, I will take A&D next time for sure.

Terrifying 12, HtW and 10 Wd, not sure how that guy killed it in a single activation, but it should be 3-6 damage to Neil only for attacking it.

• Like 1

To sum up:
- SoDP was on Levi and Rusty, Maybe I will try it on Deso next time
- How it killed me, 4 attacks, (flurry and reckless), first one gave me Injury + 1 :( one got 5 dmg on :-flip, so some unlucky thing on my side as well. Abd yes, it gave him 4 dmg, and Levi one shooted him next activation ;)
- Marlena: I want to try her, but for different schemes / stats / enemy. At first glance i think she is "Close Combat", but I prefer Levi little in back so I must find a spot for her

• Agree 1

I mean 4 attacks all passing Terrifying needing a 7 is already pretty good luck for him (or huge resource drain), Then being able to get Severe on  a negative flip is lucky, and you half killed his model for him doing it. That's not a bad outcome. If Your opponent wasn't lucky enough to kill you, you had a reasonable chance to get a lot of the heath back when the engine activated next.  The engine will get hit, but it generally takes a lot of resources to remove, and if you don't fully remove it, it gets better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jafar said:

got 5 dmg on :-flip

With HtW it should be :-flip:-flip, unless he won the duel by 6+

1 hour ago, Jafar said:

4 attacks, (flurry and reckless), first one gave me Injury + 1 :( one got 5 dmg on :-flip, so some unlucky thing on my side as well. Abd yes, it gave him 4 dmg,

4 attacks + Reckless means 5 damage to Neil.

Well, your opponent had a good activation and everything rolling by its side. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zebo said:

With HtW it should be :-flip:-flip, unless he won the duel by 6+

4 attacks + Reckless means 5 damage to Neil.

Well, your opponent had a good activation and everything rolling by its side. 

Its pretty likely Neil will be winning the duels; by 6+ especially after that injured. 

Killing the desolation engine means that the last unmade doesn't resolve, so reckless and 4 attacks does only end up 4 damage.

• Like 1

I could miss one wound on Neil or add Extra one. People in my local area ( including me) are still learning a lot, for example def trigger timing. But in General he got 4 attacks in total, one was 5 dmg, rest was 2 (or 3 don't remember his dmg track).

I agree it's not so easy to take down Deso, but model with Ruthless (or some lucky flips) can easily take it down. Example from that game, I had 2 df (Injury +1), he flipped 13 on attack, it made no sense for me to cheat high card, it still was on  :-flip  , but he flipped 11 and 12, so 5 dmg (of course no more high cards for him but it still hurt).