Tara and her Def: A tiresome topic

NAX3011

Well as the name of the topic says...

Whats going on with Tara's Defabilities?

She really got nothing and breaks easy like Toothpick.

Through the Hole is nice and Fluffy but honestly how often does it trigger...

Each other Master got a Defability or a sort of anti dying shenigan.

Tara got the same Def problems as she got in M2E. Don't getting me wrong, I love her playstyle, but I do not see Tara in the front line beating the crap out of the enemies. She got 5-6 activations (normal + 2nd activation with slow or fast) but can't really do something useful or did I miss something?

How do you guys play with the lack of Defense? Do you use her just for summoning and running schemes?

Through the hole is one of those abilities that as most of its power by existing. The Tara play often doesn't see it do anything because what it has done is meant that Tara is potentially immune to all :ToS-Range: attacks even if you just have the ace of :mask. As an opponent to Tara you sit there and think there is no point in shooting her. There are some crews out there that rely largely on their :ToS-Range: actions (bandits, Kin and Family spring to mind) and making Tara appear immune to them forces your opponent to come up with a new plan.

I don't think she should be in the front line. Her card screams to me that she wants to be out of the front line, facing at most 1 or two models. Ideally she is attacking buried models so she doesn't actually have to be engaged at all, but failing that, she can bully enemy models fairly well with the potential for 5 attacks a turn against something, and if she does that, she is very likely to also bury the model keeping her safe from engagement next turn. (I expect most times she will want a summon rather than that 5th attack, but the option is there).

Or she is a super mobile model that gets to cover the board at will making use of that mobility to run schemes/strats, and remove vital support models.

Tara has her unkillable ability on Karina. and whilst Karina isn't that hard to kill, it is probably at least another 2 actions you'll have to spend to do so before you try and kill Tara if that's your aim.

• Agree 7

Her two extra AP could easily be considered her defensive ability. Maybe think of it as, she gets 3 AP to do what she wants, just like every other master, but she also has 2 extra AP to be in a great defensive position away from attacks. And if she happens not to need them to stay alive, she's free to drop a marker or set up some positioning for next turn.

I'm only one game in with new Tara, but so far I'm not terribly worried if she is threatened or dies. This isn't a crew where if she dies everything falls apart. Simply reminding them at the beginning of the game that Karina keeps tara from dying is sometimes enough to change their whole plan of attack. But if they do focus on her, bury her, heal her, move her to safety, or be happy their damage went to her and took pressure off something else.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, NAX3011 said:

Meh this requires the donkey grandpa...

Sure, but not doing that is your choice. Other options are Prospectors to generate the stones to keep her going. 

This is the first I've heard of her dying easily so I'm not sure it's a tiresome topic. 

She's not a master that should run straight in swinging her sword. She's better off on the fringes, summoning and running schemes. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, S4lt said:

She's not a master that should run straight in swinging her sword. She's better off on the fringes, summoning and running schemes. 

Thats true, but even other master wich are more in the background have a better defability than TTH.

4 hours ago, S4lt said:

She's better off on the fringes, summoning and running schemes. 

This is definitely how I use her. The crew also easily gets activation control which can help you avoid trouble. If I use her to fight, it is usually to kill off a scheme runner or finish off a model that is already low. I don't think that she should be used as a beater. A potential of 5 attacks a turn is good, but her defensive capabilities don't really support it. My opponents have found it very difficult to keep her from completing schemes though. 

1 hour ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

well,  there's Karina's necromancy savant....but surely Tara isn't going to often be within 8" of Karina?

Tara is rarely close enough to Karina for this to matter. Tara is extremely mobile with 5 ap a turn, Karina is not mobile at all. She is also very easy to kill so she really shouldn't be anywhere close to the front lines. For me, she most often sits in the backfield and heals buried models or pops them out when need be (though, I prefer Aionus to unbury models but it doesn't hurt to have a bit of redundancy for this effect). 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, NAX3011 said:

Thats true, but even other master wich are more in the background have a better defability than TTH.

Better than "immunity" to about 1/3 of the attacks in the game? I don't think so. They might be seen to use their ability more often, but they probably don't have as big an effect on their survivability. Its Like Disguised. Its really hard to know how many attacks Disguised saves you from because they just can't charge you.

I'm going to say that a lot of this is play style. If you want a survivable Master, you're probably hard pushed to find one that is more survivable than Tara, if you choose to play her that way. You might find it a boring way to play her, or an uneffective way, but that's not quite the same as it not being possible. She is almost immune to shooting attacks. She can be buried and healed if she is killed as long as she is in an area that is equal to about 1/5 of the table. She can not be tied up in a combat as she can easily escape and get beyond most models threat ranges in either of her activations. She also has the built in trigger on her attacks that can bury her opponent, so even if she doesn't run away, she can escape from combat by removing the model from her (And she can still attack them whilst they are buried).

You might not like the emissary, but it is an option, and regeneration on Tara is twice as good as normal. You can give her Hard to kill if you want. Or healing on killing, and whilst her attack isn't amazing, the fact you can do it so many times a turn means she has a decently high damage output.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Tara's best defensive ability is From Nothing. You can send her in, force something important to bury over 4-5 attacks with built in glimpse and then when they retaliate use a 4ss model to save her with stutter time. You use her as a beater once or twice and then revert to scheming because she is easily the best schemer in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, NAX3011 said:

Parker's only defenses are stat 6 and 14hp.  Its +1df and +2hp from Tara, but has no ability to ignore bullets or heal back from killed (if near a model, like Karina).