Any thoughts on Youko?

Played Youko twice yesyerday. My first two games with 10t against Hamelin & Nekima.. I kinda won both, but I gave the (new) Nekima player a win because he'd only need to disengage with 3 Nephilim to nullify my last point and gain two.

Youko seems really fun, but by herself not perhaps too obviously powerful. She has a whole lot of subtlety. I used the same list two times just to learn the models:

Youko, Bill, Chiyo, Fuhatsu w Ninja, 2x Bunraku, Geisha, Charm Warder.

Gonna drop a Geisha, ss + the upgrade for another charm warder. CW is a very good & fun model.. my favorite in the game right now! Also, I  just can't seem to get much value from lurebots. Bunraku can lure too, and while stat 5 isn't too hot, they still have leverage and some actual threat range for the lures if I happen to need them. Bill did a ton, heroic intervenion seems great! Much better than I expected.

Any advice for my list? Obviously depends on the enemy, schemes etc and those unreleased models seem great, but I gotta spend some amount of time just learning the crew.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

you could switch the ninja upgrade to the single geisha, she can deploy up the field and lure your own models first turn that need the extra movement like youko, chiyo, and fuhatsu. A lure on chiyo can usually get her close enough to double move to the enemy table half to start generating pass tokens.

You could try proxying kabuki warriors, they are really useful for the crew and give you some damage output while giving you a high chance to hit with all of youko's actions.

• Like 2

I liked to bring a single Beckoner & Lust; gets Distracted out there a little easier.

I'm holding off playing the keyword until I have Kabuki Warriors in my hands, though.

6 hours ago, marke83 said:

Any advice for my list? Obviously depends on the enemy, schemes etc and those unreleased models seem great, but I gotta spend some amount of time just learning the crew.

I played few times against Perdita using Youko with Chiyo, Kabuki Warrior with Trained Ninja (very pricely, but against Perdita he was great, especially that he usually kill something at the beginning of turn one thanks to the lure with high ram and From the Shadows from upgrade), Charm Warder also with Trained Ninja, Hinamatsu(my opponent after first game has learned to use alternatively Perdita rather than pure shooter like in second edition, after this Hinamatsu goes as far from Perdita as he can and murder everything), Sun Quiang, Kunoichi and Geisha and i feel that i can recommend this list (eventually skip some upgrades with geisha for second Kunoichi). The only thing that came to us is the fact that Papa Loco with his easy to cast shockwaves (stealh is bypassed by shockwave mechanic, isn't it?) is the best murderer of all models from this list even if he is double edged sword because of his WP stat of 3.

12 hours ago, marke83 said:

Youko, Bill, Chiyo, Fuhatsu w Ninja, 2x Bunraku, Geisha, Charm Warder.

Gonna drop a Geisha, ss + the upgrade for another charm warder. CW is a very good & fun model.. my favorite in the game right now! Also, I  just can't seem to get much value from lurebots. Bunraku can lure too, and while stat 5 isn't too hot, they still have leverage and some actual threat range for the lures if I happen to need them. Bill did a ton, heroic intervenion seems great! Much better than I expected.

Any advice for my list?

I really like a Tanuki with Fuhatsu to feed him Focus (I'd drop a Bunraku for this), getting those straight flips on damage is so massive for him. He also doesn't need the Trained ninja upgrade in my experience as he is decently tough between armour, HtW, stones and healing from Juggernaut/Tanuki. You can also walk him into some concealing terrain if needed (it doesn't really affect him that much with built-in +ve and focus and means it doesn't matter if the enemy tries to conceal themselves).

I liked the above idea of putting Trained ninja on the Geisha to lure up Fuhatsu and Chiyo (although I prefer to use Chiyo more as disruption than just pass token generator unless I want her up a flank running schemes anyway) first turn. She is then decent on the offence too with an almost auto-hitting Slow attack with good triggers (if you can slow and distract a model, it's almost useless for the turn!).

Yay! Thanks for the advice guys! Tanuki with Fuhatsu makes sense.. and well, Tanuki overall makes sense.

Geisha with ninja looks nice, but I again feel lurebot isn't enough. Pulling my own stuff can be done with better lure models, who I'm going to take anyway.

I see how geisha is useful for that extra cheap lure, but my list would have to develop in another direction if I'd want that.. for example ton of hard hitting versatiles, and well.. kabuki warriors exist :)

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, marke83 said:

Tanuki with Fuhatsu makes sense..

Just beware of Obeys. A focused 2+ Fuhatsu is good while his weapon is pointed on the right direction. There is nothing also that can prevent your opponent from using the Rapid Fire (and stopping you from using it, as it is Once Per Turn) after obeying a shot.

Trained Ninja sometimes is just a must on him if you want to use him anyway in some dangerous matchups (Zoraida, Lucius...)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SerZaka said:

There is nothing also that can prevent your opponent from using the Rapid Fire (and stopping you from using it, as it is Once Per Turn) after obeying a shot.

Yes there is. "Rapid Fire: Once per Turn. After this model resolves a Action during its Activation, it may discard a card to take that Action again." (emphasis mine). The "during its activation" was added to Rapid Fire and Flurry during the beta to stop exactly what you described.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, marke83 said:

Still a good point on obeys, even if they're less impactful. I've understood obeys are better this edition overall though (?).

Obeys are very good. If they are better, it is probably because everything is a (1) actions (even though (1) actions don't actually exist anymore), so even a lowly Bokor can obey something to charge, a right traditionally reserved to the Queen of Obeys herself, Zoraida 

2 minutes ago, marke83 said:

Still a good point on obeys, even if they're less impactful. I've understood obeys are better this edition overall though (?).

Since charges are 1ap now, there's a bit more damage they can do. Obeyed model are more likely to have some Focus stacked up which adds to the pain. Current set of strategies seem really good for obey actions. And Zoraida is just really really good now which probably adds to the chatter of obey=good.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Yes there is. "Rapid Fire: Once per Turn. After this model resolves a Action during its Activation, it may discard a card to take that Action again." (emphasis mine). The "during its activation" was added to Rapid Fire and Flurry during the beta to stop exactly what you described.

And yet I read it like 4 times to be sure before posting . Lol , I'm such an idiot xD

• Haha 1