Getting Started in 3e?

SplinterMD

Hey guys!

So there seems to be some buzz building up around the 3e release in my area and it seems like its finally gonna be plausible to get a weekly game in.Jumping on the bandwagon I've started looking into picking up several crews for myself as well as doing some demos around here.

So started looking into the upcoming launch and honestly got a bit overwhelmed on how to go about it, noticed a few of the boxes have had their contents changed while some are getting re sculpted or even having their factions switched around.

Adding to the confusion, I've seen a few retailers doing some big discounts on the 2e models and boxes making me wonder if it worth picking those up now as opposed to waiting for the updated ones to come out.

Also if anyone can recommend 3-4 crew boxes that you feel have a good balance between all three as well as being noob friendly as I might have two demo tables in an upcoming local event :)

Thanks!

Some masters are likely to see big changes in their box content like Lucius so steer clear of those. As for resculpt you don't know if you'll like the resculpt better or will prefer the m2e sculpt. 

My best bet on boxes that will likely stay the same as far as models that come in the box would be: Mei Feng, McCabe, McMourning, Sonnia, Pandora, Zoraida and Hoffman (and Lynch if you don't mind the tadpole hungering darkness). 

I'm not sure how well they fit for a demo against each other though. I think any combo of Mei/McCabe/Lynch/Hoffman would be a fun game. McMourning is likely to screw with both Mei and Hoff since he ignores their armour but it might be an ok match anyway or you can have him face the crews less reliant on armour. Zoraida is probably horrible to face in such a small game. I know almost nothing about outcasts and bayou but Parker, Nellie and Ma Tucket are recent releases so shouldn't see major box changes very soon. 

• Thanks 1

There are a lot of boxes that we already know won't change (resculpts and model wise). My bet is that the ones that have not being scheduled to release will be resculpted and changed (probably) this includes Hoff and Lynch. You can check here:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/upcoming-releases

click in the boxes and see what model's those include

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

i would say read up on the factions and pick the one you like first. For example Mei Feng is a pretty solid beginners choice for Ten Thunders and also has some arcanist stuff too, while McMourning is a choice for Ressurectionists for example. You can check each faction section on the forum and theres at least once thread comparing each i've seen thats a good point to start with.

Then you need the core rules, your faction book, a fate deck and not urgently but eventually probably a pack of faction cards which includes 3e stat cards for all 2e models. Stores may sell off 2nd edition stuff cheaper so its a saving, or the repackage isn't coming out for a while. Case in point pretty much everyone i've seen recommends people who play Mei Feng, Malifauxs resident metal bender, picks up the Rail/Metal Golem and Metal Gamins. You can pick those up now and the arcanist faction card pack will include their cards.

Beyond that just make sure you got a 3x3 tabletop and folks to play it with.

• Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Faction book is useless for playing game and is great if you want to dig into the lore. Core rules will be available in PDF for free so buying copy is totally optional. After the 3ed release shops will add the 3ed stat cards to 2nd edition boxes so if you want to wait 3 more weeks there is no point in buying faction card pack too. Anyway picking discounted 2nd edition stuff and the card pack after release is good too. I would recommend to take a look over factions, choose one visually (there are ~8 leaders per faction with pretty wide playstyle options), then pick the single crew box that looks the most fun for you. Repeat the process for other players in your group. Then play few games with chosen box at 35pts level (use latest beta rules). After 3-5 games you will probably catch the concept of the game and you will be able to go through the factions again (both visually and rules-wise). At this point you can decide to make futher purchases for previously chosen faction/master or go to the new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

It's kind of up to you on how you want to start. I've been buying a lot of the M2e sale items since (as others have mentioned) a lot of the starter boxes aren't changing much, so they're still good for me to give / sell to my friends to try and get them in.  And even the ones that are changing, aren't changing that much, so the models are still useful.  They won't have m3e cards, but I can always grab em a faction pack to get them up to speed.  That said I wouldn't get masters whose boxes are changing a lot or getting new models (Somer, Ironsides, Wong for instance, because then you'll have to get the new models or rebuy the box). 

As for what to buy, Wyrd has stated that they're moving away from the 'you must buy x to know what x does' mentality, and the M3e faq says rules / cards will be up on their site in PDF form at launch, so you can always just print your own copies of the cards / rules and sleeve em until you get the official cards from a faction pack or from drivethrurpg for print on demand.

So with the statement that all you really need to buy is some models and print the rules / cards (and of course get counters / rulers / etc)... I would buy the faction book for the faction you like and probably the faction deck.  I'd buy the faction book because sure it has lore (which is nice) but it should also have all the cards for the models and descriptions of them (like the Wednesday preview for torakage this week).  If you're a print guy, this would be good to help plan what you want to buy next / what is out there.  Course, since cards will be released you could just flip through the PDFs, to each their own.  As for the faction cards, even if you wait till M3e models start coming out, there'll probably be a few things you may want to get that aren't released yet (and you find in the m2e box) or you could hit the resell market either here, on the wyrd trades facebook group or ebay.  If you do any of those options, you'll have to print the cards or order them on demand, so I'd personally rather just buy them in 1 fell swoop.

If you don't buy the faction cards, you'll have to get the general upgrades as those won't be in the m3e boxes (I assume) so you'll need to get the general upgrades card set (or again, print them yourself / on demand).

As for newbie friendly boxes.  I would stay away from summoners (both because they can be hard to play against for new players, and because they usually require a lot of buy in for best results), masters that rely on a lot of unreleased models (lucius and mccabe) and ones that aren't as straightforward (nellie with her low damage crew can be a headscratcher for new players).  I would also probably stay away from the heavy card draw / cycle / discard masters (like lynch or maybe molly) until you get a grasp on how often you should cheat, though if you're coming from Magic it may not be as hard to get your head around.  I would also proxy some games. As for 'simpler' masters for new players Viks, lady justice, misaki, mah tucket, sonnia, seamus, titania, parker, von shill, shenlong are on my list, but to each their own.

I would also look at this list:
https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/4/29/wyrd-retailer-newsletter-launch-plans

As anything with an asterisk is getting some kind of new sculpt (may be a single model, or the whole box).  Course if you like the old box (and there's not a ton of changes), go for it.  As I'm currently buying m1e metal models to field, it's all in what aesthetic you like when it comes to sculpts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Much appreciated guys!

Going over all the masters and factions descriptions, gotta say I'm really leaning towards Neverborn, Ten Thunders and Resurrectionists. 

Noticed both Nicodem and Lilith are going away in M3e, any idea who's taking their place as far as gameplay and models/crew wise?

So was asking around the local group, seems like got a good 7 or so players ready to take the plunge! 

Trying to decide on which factions/crews everyone gonna be getting as well as an extra demo crew.

Super excited to see this sort of response considering everyone are either GW fans or hardcore Infinity players :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, and we had a decent group in Glen Burnie at Games & Stuff when M2E started up, but the more rulebooks came out, the less people wanted to play. It just kinda petered out after that. I'm hoping M3E breathes new life into the game, because I really dig how it works and I love painting the models!