Shocked about the quality of the TOS Miniatures

Sinistros

I got my KS Pledge today,

I am shocked by the quality of the miniatures. The plastic is totally rubbery and the miniatures are crooked and bent accordingly. The already assembled parts are extremely dilemma glued together and have huge gaps between the parts.
Especially with my Alpha Crawler you have the impression of having cheap toys and no tabletop miniature.

Wyrd has always been for me high-quality tabletop miniatures with the highest degree of detail, this illusion has just been destroyed. I have received a large box of toys and am extremely disappointed.

Alphe crawler.jpg

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, Sinistros said:

I am shocked by the quality of the miniatures. The plastic is totally rubbery and the miniatures are crooked and bent accordingly. The already assembled parts are extremely dilemma glued together and have huge gaps between the parts.
Especially with my Alpha Crawler you have the impression of having cheap toys and no tabletop miniature.

Wyrd has always been for me high-quality tabletop miniatures with the highest degree of detail, this illusion has just been destroyed. I have received a large box of toys and am extremely disappointed.

Alphe crawler.jpg

Looks very much like the model my friend got, we spent 2 hours taking it apart and putting it together properly.  It seems that quality control is very poor at them moment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Xane said:

Yes my Alpha Crawler looked just like that and after painting it I think it is bent over a little more than it should be.

You are lucky Trev is so good at taking models apart without breaking them.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Badgroth said:

I do not mind if a weapon gets bent or a part comes off in transit as they are easy fixes but having the model not assembled correctly is not acceptable TBH.

In some cases this isn't true. I had bent (twisted would be more correct) weapons due to the miniatures arms being stuck on at incorrect angles. They couldn't be straightened without removing and re-gluing the arms.

Not to be the 'I told you so' guy but I said these very things during the Kickstarter. The 'high quality' PVC miniatures is a myth. No 'special blend' or magic elixir can bring PVC to the same standard as stuff like hard plastic or resin. So unless you're in one of three camps 1) Don't care about quality 2) Willing to sacrifice quality for instant playability or 3) Stinking rich you're probably going to come away disappointed when you compare them to other miniature lines. 

That said I have no personal experience and can only go off the images I've seen so far and the reports from those that did pick stuff up. 

It's a bloody shame is what it is (In Northern British accent whilst twisting mustache that I don't have) as I was willing to go big on the Kickstarter but they pretty much went in the complete opposite direction to what I was hoping/expecting.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, RedHood said:

...That said I have no personal experience and can only go off the images I've seen so far ...

I write this in the hope that anyone curious about the game does not get put off by one or two negative comments....

I signed up for Dual Commander,  had to wait quite a while along with everyone else and then eventually received over one hundred pre assembled models

Fact #1 The PVC models are as close to their 3D renders as any Malifaux model - period

Fact #2 On opening the box the PVC at its finest points e.g. bayonets, rifle barrels can arrive bent out of shape and initially seem too flexy...BUT...as mentioned here in forum announcements...all you have to do is dunk the bent part in hot (not boiling) water ,reshape it and then dunk it in cold water....no more bent parts...I have straightened out both Field Intelligence Corps and Royal Rifle Corps using this technique and they remain sorted...no flexing back with the added advantage that they can NOT break...the bayonets alone wouldn't have lasted five minutes in regular hard plastic

Fact #3 The Titans do indeed have large gaps that need filling but I also accept that if I want a complicated, pre assembled sculpt there will be some work to do just as there is with the far smaller models we build for Malifaux....the Titans are SO much bigger than anything in Malifaux...at the same time they are not Japanese injection moulded kits...they come in grey plastic and you CAN play them straight out the box...my assumption is though that most people will paint them...as such priming and filling is just a normal part of that process...yes my Gorysche had to be filled and filled again....but pardon the pun when I say that it is an absolute monster sizewise...easy to work on

Fact #4 The claim that the PVC can not hold detail like hard plastic just  doesn't hold up...Wyrd have clearly done their homework when choosing the blend used...once primed it holds paint as well as Malifaux and as evidenced on my painting table it doesn't crack if flexed...and I know that for a fact because I am trying it out as I go

To conclude - I'm sorry when I read someone coming down so hard on a game they don't actually own....I for one am totally happy with what I received - in all honesty it exceeded my expectations....and I am already waiting with baited breath for the release of models I don't own yet

• Agree 6
  • Respectfully Disagree 8

13 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

I write this in the hope that anyone curious about the game does not get put off by one or two negative comments....

I signed up for Dual Commander,  had to wait quite a while along with everyone else and then eventually received over one hundred pre assembled models

Fact #1 The PVC models are as close to their 3D renders as any Malifaux model - period

Fact #2 On opening the box the PVC at its finest points e.g. bayonets, rifle barrels can arrive bent out of shape and initially seem too flexy...BUT...as mentioned here in forum announcements...all you have to do is dunk the bent part in hot (not boiling) water ,reshape it and then dunk it in cold water....no more bent parts...I have straightened out both Field Intelligence Corps and Royal Rifle Corps using this technique and they remain sorted...no flexing back with the added advantage that they can NOT break...the bayonets alone wouldn't have lasted five minutes in regular hard plastic

Fact #3 The Titans do indeed have large gaps that need filling but I also accept that if I want a complicated, pre assembled sculpt there will be some work to do just as there is with the far smaller models we build for Malifaux....the Titans are SO much bigger than anything in Malifaux...at the same time they are not Japanese injection moulded kits...they come in grey plastic and you CAN play them straight out the box...my assumption is though that most people will paint them...as such priming and filling is just a normal part of that process...yes my Gorysche had to be filled and filled again....but pardon the pun when I say that it is an absolute monster sizewise...easy to work on

Fact #4 The claim that the PVC can not hold detail like hard plastic just  doesn't hold up...Wyrd have clearly done their homework when choosing the blend used...once primed it holds paint as well as Malifaux and as evidenced on my painting table it doesn't crack if flexed...and I know that for a fact because I am trying it out as I go

To conclude - I'm sorry when I read someone coming down so hard on a game they don't actually own....I for one am totally happy with what I received - in all honesty it exceeded my expectations....and I am already waiting with baited breath for the release of models I don't own yet

I agree completely with @Burnin' Coal. The level of detail from, for instance, the warped or the black ops is at least the same as any Malifaux models, and I have 250+ Malifaux models to compare with. Yes, it might be annoying some issues but as he states all of them are easy to solve; regarding the gaps in the models I've seen many, many players gluing their models with superglue not really caring about those gaps and painting over them so I puzzles me seeing these many critics. I for one am happy to have all the models ready to play (and I do like assembling the Malifaux models) and really don't mind fixing those gaps.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 1/17/2019 at 2:40 PM, Sinistros said:

Alphe crawler.jpg

19 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

After finally receiving my package I was going to post some thoughts on the model quality, but thought I might as well add to this discussion rather than starting my own...

I agree mostly with Burning Coal here, the cast quality is excellent. The minis are simply every bit as detailed as anything out there, except high-end hand cast resin. If anyone believed they were getting Forgeworld type minis here I don't think Wyrd is at fault. That said, there are huge gaps, and the minis are at times horribly put together. The plastic is really annoying to clean, especially when already put together, and if you want to get the most out of them you'd have to toss them in the freezer, take them apart and glue them, together again. This also means that in order to get the best results there is quite a bit more involved with getting the TOS minis to perfection compared to Malifaux minis.

This is definitely annoying to me, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist. The upside is that you can get a whole army ready to play in an hour or less. I would have prefered the minis to come in parts, as that would actually save me time, but this was hardly something I didn't know when I pledged. The minis are in many ways an intermediary between high-end board game minis and miniature game minis. The gaps, flappyness and all imperfections still seem pretty good when compared to most board games. But yeah, they are not going to out of the box beat Malifaux minis, lovingly put together by an enthusiast.

I like my TOS minis, but I still prefer Malifaux, miniatures-wise. I also think it's a smart move by Wyrd to marked a minis game to the board game crowd. CMON recently did something similar with A Song of Ice and Fire, which I also backed, and also like. For what it's worth I prefer the TOS minis to the ASOIAF minis in terms of quality, durability, detail and feel, but to each their own.

TLDR; If you bought pre-assembled TOS minis and expected them to be already scraped and filed for a perfect fit, you should also expect a much, much higher price. They are quickly put together, sometime quite badly. That's what you get with pre-assembled minis. They are not bad quality, they are what was promised or better, but they are not resin cast, nor are they prepared for painting to a exhibition standard. But they are nice minis, nice sculpts, and they are table top ready.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

Firstly with the model in the original post, after disassembling the one my friend got and putting it back together correctly we had no gaps to fill.  Nothing is wrong with the model it had just been assembled poorly.

In the case of my South Wales Boarders, who ever assembled them was just sticking things in whatever place they wanted.  Parts glued in the wrong place and even parts glued on the wrong side.

With the Royal Rifle Corp I had a number of legs glued in the wrong position.

We have a big issue that has nothing to do with the quality of the models as they are great but if Wyrd need to stop sending out the garbage they have been.  Many of these models should not get past quality control due to poor and incorrect assembly.

• Like 6

@Impact UK If the models I received were anything like the ones you describe then I would undoubtedly be as miffed as you and quite possibly more so...to the point that I think I would have contacted Wyrd with a couple of photos to demand replacements or money back....like you say it must be down to quality control as it seems hit or miss as to whether models are assembled properly or not...in my own case I guess myself and others just got lucky as it were....

...in the spirit of my original post however ,so that curious onlookers shouldn't be put off, and in no way making light of others misfortune I would add that as disappointing and frustrating as the badly assembled examples are it must still be an overall minority of cases otherwise this forum would surely be burning down with thousands and thousands of people who signed up to the Kickstarter all wielding pitchforks and demanding their money back

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RedHood said:

Didn't they say at some point they are going to be offering unassembled TOS stuff on their webstore? Is that still happening?

That was always a "maybe down the road, we'll see" thing, never 100%.  That said, I know some people'd jump on it for sure.

20 minutes ago, retnab said:

That was always a "maybe down the road, we'll see" thing, never 100%.  That said, I know some people'd jump on it for sure.

I thought they had unsassembled as an add-on option for Kickstarter backers. I seem to remember specifically that it was not supposed to be available later, but it was during the campaign due to some backers' concerns about gaps, flash lines, etc. I cannot recall why I didn't go for this myself (hence my belief that it was an extra cost, or only available for certain levels), but I remember thinking it was a good idea, and a shame it wouldn't be generally available...

Edit: I seem to recall them citing the extra sorting work as the reason for not offering this in general retail...

15 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Impact UK If the models I received were anything like the ones you describe then I would undoubtedly be as miffed as you and quite possibly more so...to the point that I think I would have contacted Wyrd with a couple of photos to demand replacements or money back....like you say it must be down to quality control as it seems hit or miss as to whether models are assembled properly or not...in my own case I guess myself and others just got lucky as it were....

...in the spirit of my origin post however ,so that curious onlookers shouldn't be put off, and in no way making light of others misfortune I would add that as disappointing and frustrating as the badly assembled examples are it must still be an overall minority of cases otherwise this forum would surely be burning down with thousands and thousands of people who signed up to the Kickstarter all wielding pitchforks and demanding their money back

I Made my Submission on the 2nd January and other than the automated reply I have heard nothing from Wyrd.  It is important also that any casual on looker sees that Wyrd are doing very little about the quality control.

So Wyrd are currently backing up there poor quality control with poor customer service, our Gibbering Hordes player made his submission for the missing legs in 2 of his kits on the same day and had a reply over a week ago (the parts are in the post now apparently) and Our Abyssina players submission was on the 7th January and they got back to him within a couple of days.

This gives the impression that Wyrd have no intention on rectifying the issue of poorly assembled and incorrectly assembled models.

• Like 4

On 1/19/2019 at 12:50 AM, retnab said:

Absolutely not, otherwise I'd have done it :P 

On 1/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, Impact UK said:

I Made my Submission on the 2nd January and other than the automated reply I have heard nothing from Wyrd.  It is important also that any casual on looker sees that Wyrd are doing very little about the quality control.

So Wyrd are currently backing up there poor quality control with poor customer service, our Gibbering Hordes player made his submission for the missing legs in 2 of his kits on the same day and had a reply over a week ago (the parts are in the post now apparently) and Our Abyssina players submission was on the 7th January and they got back to him within a couple of days.

This gives the impression that Wyrd have no intention on rectifying the issue of poorly assembled and incorrectly assembled models.

Usually Wyrd customer service gives no notification when sending replacement parts. You normally just get an automated reply and, sometime later, and package in the mail..

On 1/19/2019 at 12:50 AM, retnab said:

Absolutely not, otherwise I'd have done it :P 

Now I had to check... It turns out I was wrong, they said they will add unassembled versions to their webstore "some time after the release date"...

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 10:58 AM, tmod said:

Usually Wyrd customer service gives no notification when sending replacement parts. You normally just get an automated reply and, sometime later, and package in the mail.

Not the experience from dealing with them in the past with Malifaux mode issues.

• Like 1