The Viks

Regelridderen

I'm not a fan of Convict Gunslingers on a thematic or synergistic level. Slow models that are only good at killing single models. You already have the Viks for removing models.

Also, if you're going to get Vanessa, I strongly recommend a solid construct to go along with her. I've had wonderful success with Lazarus. I think Marlena Webster would work out great too, but haven't had a chance to try her yet.

I'm not sure how thematic any of them are but he Effigy, Emissary, and Sue are all great matches with the Viks. I mean Sue is a great match with virtually any master. Just all round great model.

I usually end up pairing my Viks with a lot of Freikorps. Trappers, librarians, and engineers (haven't actually tried these in game yet) are all good useful models with synergy with the Viks.

@Regelridderen You said a small crew. What are you thinking, like number of stones?

I'm not saying Sue is not good.   By all means pick him up. 

But the number of times I have taken out 10-14 SS models in one round with a single Convict Gunslinger with Return Fire attached is so stupifying that i cannot go back.  Any crew build with Vik's starts Ashes (Sisterly Bonds), Blood (Mark of Sheez'uul), Vanessa (Howling Wolf Tattoo), 2 Convict Gunslingers (Return Fire).... then go from there.  it does not fail me.

Void package works wonders with Viks.  I think Sue is a better pick compared to Convict Gunslinger if the goal is to attack Return Fire, his attack is much better and his utility role is golden.  

Also Vanessa for full Sister, also I know people who run Hannah for the extra card and Ca copy for the Damage or Stat buffs

8 hours ago, touchdown said:

I'm not a fan of Convict Gunslingers on a thematic or synergistic level. Slow models that are only good at killing single models. You already have the Viks for removing models.

Also, if you're going to get Vanessa, I strongly recommend a solid construct to go along with her. I've had wonderful success with Lazarus. I think Marlena Webster would work out great too, but haven't had a chance to try her yet.

I'm not sure how thematic any of them are but he Effigy, Emissary, and Sue are all great matches with the Viks. I mean Sue is a great match with virtually any master. Just all round great model.

I usually end up pairing my Viks with a lot of Freikorps. Trappers, librarians, and engineers (haven't actually tried these in game yet) are all good useful models with synergy with the Viks.

@Regelridderen You said a small crew. What are you thinking, like number of stones?

I wasn’t set on a particular number 50ish, with some extra substitutes. 

-

How about Johan and Big Jake? They look like cool models?

My vote for both Hannah and Johan.

Hannah is quite tanky, have a big base, so could cover your key model, an extra card! Also, She could save your key model burying it (works great with show off force). She is kinda situative but there were some games she was really great.

Johan looks like your only way to remove conditions. Also, he is like mini Taelor!

Ashes&Dust is quite good too. He is not that good for scoring, but he is definitely good to prevent an opponent from scoring :D

12 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

How about Johan and Big Jake? They look like cool models?

Johan is never bad and Big Jake is pretty good in some strats and schemes. Especially if you can give him bit of a boost, Oathkeeper Jake can threaten a Symbol of Authority for mere 6ss and a support AP.

Coming back turn 5 to cheekily grab the last Symbol or Evidence is always fun.

• Like 1

Marlena is fantastic with the Viks as it helps with the glass cannon, add survivalist and Malifaux child  to keep Marlena healed.  Scion gives you a  way to really use Soaring dragon more effectively,  Vanessa is a must for more healing. after that another beater, I use Nothing beast. I use desp mercs as cheap activations/ scheme runners 

I've been playing the viks for the last few games and while the the sling shot/ Scion are both undoubtedly good, sometimes it can be counter played or terrain is bad for it or so forth. Plus with Marlena in the mix, I have been trying to leverage more out of Ashes. I've been playing pokeball Viks and it's been a lot of fun, both for me and my opponents. In my last game, I managed to get a Dragon's bite off, with sister's in fury on Ash and Vanessa, and Blood just with the Mark on  a executioner, killing it and, 2 watchers, and putting a bruising on Nelly, phiona moved twice, then Dragon's flighted Nelly, pushing into the printing press, killing it and burying, next turn Nelly pushed Ashes towards Phiona makes Phiona fast, child casts fury, Phiona drops debt and charges Blood, does 4 twice dropping here to htk. Then killing, but wait, soul tether goes off, Blood is back to 6, w/Htk. Vanessa is slow, walks within 6 of Phiona and drops Blood. Blood could've charged,  but I went with a slow Ash and Dragon bite Phiona dropping her to 2 after all the Sister attacks and prevention, Finished her off with Blood on my next Activation. Glorious!!

• Haha 1

Sorry I haven't replied in so long.

Just going to confirm what others said about Big Jake and Johan, both are good models. I'll note Big Jake does count double for Ours too.

Personally, I kind of think Vanessa's heal is a trap. The librarian has a better heal and is a stone cheaper. To me Vanessa is ranged support, command construct and once in a while taking advantage of the Vik's buffs (melee expert and +2 damage and she can be pretty effective with that sword).

Also I was thinking about the Convict Gunslingers. It's not my style but having identical models does make playing the game easier. Less things to worry about. So I can see the appeal more.

So, what I gather is, that when I get around to the Viks, I should get the following (in descending order) :

The Viks +

Marlena

Ashes & Dust

Vanessa

Convict Gunslingers

Johan

Big Jake

Freikorps Librarian (low priority because it’s another Master box)

Sounds okay?

Oh and adding on. The midnight stalker seems like a cool model. I’d get him in a heartbeat, where he neverborn, but seems a little out-of-theme with the Viks. But is he a great model on the tabletop? And does he have synergy there?

18 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

The midnight stalker seems like a cool model. I’d get him in a heartbeat, where he neverborn, but seems a little out-of-theme with the Viks. But is he a great model on the tabletop? And does he have synergy there?

The Midnight Stalker is hands down my favorite model to come out in the last book.  Every time I field him, he either:

- scores me 3-6 VP by himself (scheme marker schemes), or;

- draws so much attention (that gets negated by his defensive abilities) that I can still maneuver my crew to where I want them.

10/10, the best Silurid equivalent for the cost.  Just remember that he's not a beatstick - he can't hit people who've activated, he's min damage 2, and once he's activated he's super vulnerable

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diceman87 said:

The Midnight Stalker is hands down my favorite model to come out in the last book.  Every time I field him, he either:

- scores me 3-6 VP by himself (scheme marker schemes), or;

- draws so much attention (that gets negated by his defensive abilities) that I can still maneuver my crew to where I want them.

10/10, the best Silurid equivalent for the cost.  Just remember that he's not a beatstick - he can't hit people who've activated, he's min damage 2, and once he's activated he's super vulnerable

I hate that guy so much! I spend soulstone user activations focusing and stoning for a positive flip to try and remove him before he full heals and places!