Steamfitter. Is there an “s”?

madaxeman

So... there are already waaaay more than enough models where it’s almost impossible to see how you’d ever use the 3 models that come in the 3-pack at the same time...but for most things I find that 2 is, well, just about imaginable. Not necessarily great, or clever, but I don’t mind putting 2 in the case, just, ahem, “in case”.

However I’m looking at the Steamfitter card and frankly I’m struggling to see why or how you’d fit any more than just the one in a crew (or therefore a slot in the increasingly packed blue foam tray case).

Spending 12 SS on two sets of clever but still somewhat corner-case-ish support pieces seems that it would eat too much into the SS left to buy the stuff they’d be supporting. 

Am I missing a trick here ? Or do I just make one of them and put the other 2 sprues on eBay? 

• Like 1

I think if you really wanted to run two in the same crew you could find opportunities to do it where you don't feel like you brough 6 useless points.

If you only had one Steamfitter I don't think you'd find yourself kicking yoursolf over getting rid of the other two.

Maybe their condition might be in demand for Ply For Information but I'd need to double check the wording on removing the condition.

So, use them to give as many models a bit of pseudo-H2K as you can in a non-interacting, but sort of killy, pool?  Is that really that clever?

Or is it that their 'scheme marker place for a discard' could also play well as a surprise into this pool, as you'd have peonized models dropping markers even when engaged..? 

Utility models very seldomly show up in multiples (especially when they cost 6ss). It's just Malifaux's thing: if it's a utility model, buy the box, pick the best sculpt and sell the other two. I'm pretty sure the only utility models I see more than one of are Rotten Belles.

• Like 1

I have played two of them with Ramos. First drops a scrap marker, Ramos summones, chain activates into the second to get the summon card back. Niche, but fun, and as was said: These are no bad models. The card cycle is good, the discard for a scheme marker is great!

1 hour ago, MuMantai said:

I have played two of them with Ramos. First drops a scrap marker, Ramos summones, chain activates into the second to get the summon card back. Niche, but fun, and as was said: These are no bad models. The card cycle is good, the discard for a scheme marker is great!

The scrap dropping is discarding 2 cards isn't it? I do like the idea of using one Fitter to take back the 3-spider card, but I'm unconvinced that that having a second corner-case 6 SS model on table, and also dropping 2 cards just to generate 1 scrap is as good as having Joss (who may well be there anyway) hitting a 3 SS model and generating 2 scrap...?

Discard for a scheme marker is cute but it feels like it needs late order activation in the right scheme to be really good - in which case having two 6SS minion models in the crew feels like something which will start to limit your model count and then mess with your activation control 

Its probably personal taste, but spending 6 stones to get you the scrap, and an activation every turn is probably less detrimental to your model count than spending 3ss to be killed turn 1 and never activate again. 

It also is lest costly in AP terms, because Joss/Large Spider/the Beast within is not in as good a place as he could have been if you didn't have to spend AP on killing models (sure with a charge he isn't much worse off, but he is worse off). 

If you're using one of the bonus scrap creators anyway, then two is certainly a less tempting option, but if you have only picked the bonus scrap creator because they create bonus scrap, then you are opening up other options. 

And I'm a big fan of models that get to drop 2 scheme markers a turn. Granted the use of that is becoming much more scheme pool dependent, but a "free" scheme marker that doesn't suffer the interact restrictions sometimes can be vital, as things like Chatty are becoming a little more common. 

I've yet to put the fitters on the table, they are sitting waiting for some paint, but I think they are fun looking models, and I can see the occasional time I might want 2. 

I'm blessed with normally being able to draw hands full of cards that I will happily discard for scrap, so for me, especially turn 1, a 2 card discard is not that high a cost. 

I’ve been playing with one into a smaller soul stone format, in which the buffs make my leader nearly immortal*. Very nice, but generally leaves me down three cards in hand turn one, and short at least one card in subsequent turns. How can you keep the hand to utilize more than one?

*I have only lost my leader in a game where my opponent RJ’d the damage flip...on double negative...three times. -_-

3 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

I’ve been playing with one into a smaller soul stone format, in which the buffs make my leader nearly immortal*. Very nice, but generally leaves me down three cards in hand turn one, and short at least one card in subsequent turns. How can you keep the hand to utilize more than one?

*I have only lost my leader in a game where my opponent RJ’d the damage flip...on double negative...three times. -_-

Red Joker on the damage flip gets knocked down to a moderate with the Steamfitter's buff. 

45 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Red Joker on the damage flip gets knocked down to a moderate with the Steamfitter's buff. 

We played it as full damage, though I can see the argument for demoting severe + weak to moderate + weak.

I had two stacks of reduction as the steamfitter kept flipping tomes! There is nothing stopping it from declaring the trigger again.

9 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

We played it as full damage, though I can see the argument for demoting severe + weak to moderate + weak.

Just moderate. See FAQ, I bolded the relevant bit:

34) What, exactly, is the Red Joker? What damage category does it count as dealing? What is the printed suit counted as?

The Red Joker has a value of 14 and a wild suit, chosen by the player it belongs to when it is flipped or played. For all game purposes, the suit chosen by the player counts as having been printed on the card. Although the Red Joker deals an amount of damage equal to Severe plus Weak, it counts as dealing Severe damage for the purposes of any rules which reference damage categories (for example, Molly’s Revelation Attack Action would inflict Paralyzed on the target in the case of Red Joker damage, and Nix’s Weakness Ability would reduce the Red Joker to Moderate damage).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

I had two stacks of reduction as the steamfitter kept flipping tomes! There is nothing stopping it from declaring the trigger again.

It doesn't reduce it to moderate + weak. It reduces it to just moderate.

From the FAQ:
34) What, exactly, is the Red Joker? What damage category does it count as dealing? What is the printed suit counted as? The Red Joker has a value of 14 and a wild suit, chosen by the player it belongs to when it is flipped or played. For all game purposes, the suit chosen by the player counts as having been printed on the card. Although the Red Joker deals an amount of damage equal to Severe plus Weak, it counts as dealing Severe damage for the purposes of any rules which reference damage categories (for example, Molly’s Revelation Attack Action would inflict Paralyzed on the target in the case of Red Joker damage, and Nix’s Weakness Ability would reduce the Red Joker to Moderate damage).

• Like 2