Build-A-Henchman (Gettin' Real)

Hello! I need some community feedback for my next podcast episode.

We do a segment where we come up with ideas for new models with restrictions placed on ourselves by other hosts. We also come up with a restriction for the community to build a model around. The plan is to eventually do a model for each station and faction combination in the game.

We first did an Arcanist Peon, then a 10 Thunders minion, and lastly a Resurrectionist Master. Now the Dice have declared we create a Neverborn henchman.

Since Neverborn like their mythological creatures we came up with the community restriction that we wanted to see something 'real'. We want to see what you can come up with when the model has to be based on something from real life. This DOESN'T have to be a 1-1 representation of someone or something (Alistair Crowley as a Nephilim-worshipping cultist, for example), and we'll allow things that fall under 'Cryptozoology' if you want.

You can spend however much time and effort you want on it. You don't need a full stat card or anything but thoughtful and clever ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

• Like 2

Creepy Killer penguin 

Nightmare, Mimic

Sixes across the board, Ht2

Incorporeal, Terrifying (Living) 13, From the Shadows

-Df(Ram) trigger: Honk, Honk!

When this model is targeted by a successful :melee action, it may discard a card to push 2" in any direction. The action is resolved from this model's current location. If this model is no longer a viable target the action fails.

-Sharpened Teeth Ml6 vs Df 1":melee2/4/5

:crow-Infect, Poison +1 for each crow

:mask-Voracious Appetite, this model may discard a card to take this action again 

- Come Play With Me Ca7 vs Wp Rg8 

Push target 6" towards this model. This action must declare triggers if able  

:mask-We All Float Down Here, the target's controller must discard one card and one soulstone. If they cannot, the target is Paralyzed.

:ram- Got'cha!, target model cannot perform any actions against this model until this model's next activation.

:crow-Pounce, take a Ml attack action against the target if it ended the push within this model's engagement range  

---

I don't know if making it a Nightmare would be OP with Dreamer but that and Mimic are the only keywords I could think that would fit. Cost would probably be 8-9 probably. 

23 hours ago, Sybaris said:

I'd go for a Dracula style Nephilim.

I have some notes from a few years ago that's a Nosferatu/Orlok based idea for a Rezzer/Neverborn dual faction Master.  Necromancers that used the corruptive and alchemical nature of black blood as a way to create ghoul-vampire-things.

• Like 1

Real-Life influence: Nostradamus

Nostradamus was a brilliant physician who came to Malifaux to study reports of a Plague that has been sweeping through the city. His last living memories were that of thousands of yellow teeth and claws falling upon him as he prayed for death. Plague, however, is not one to answer prayers.

Nostradamus's cursed and diseased state has found him shunned by most but like many whom traverse Malifaux's Streets even those who wander alone can find companionship in the most unlikely of places....

Nostradamus the Meek

Neverborn

Cost / Cache

(30mm) Henchmen, Undead

9 / 4

LOST, WOE

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Through Their Eyes: This model may draw Line of Sight and range through Friendly Unengaged Murder of Crows models within 5" when Declaring Attack and Tactical actions.

Induction: Enemy models within :aura6 that suffer damage from the Poison condition suffer an additional 2 damage from the Poison Condition".

Foreboding Allegiances: When this model is Killed or Sacrificed by an enemy model, Condition, or Terrain each Friendly Murder of Crows in play immediately takes a (1) AP attack action and then is immediately sacrificed. The Attack action generated by this ability receives +2:crow.

Plague Mask This model is immune to the Poison and Blighted conditions. 

—Attack Actions—

(1) Plague Bombs (Sh 6:crow/ Rst: Df / Rg: :ranged6"): Target suffers 1/2:blast/4:blast:blast damage. 

:crow Infect:

:ram Angry Birds This attack deals +1 damage to the initial target for every Murder of Crows in base contact with it. 

(1) Scalpel (Ml 6:mask/ Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 1/2/3 damage, Ignoring Armor

:crowInfect

:mask:crow For the Birds After succeeding against an enemy model immediately take the "Fly my Lovelies!" action at +2CA. This action may not declare triggers. This trigger may only be declared once per turn. 

:mask Retreat to Cover

—Tactical Actions—

(0) "Fly my lovelies!" (Ca 6/ Tn: 13:crow / Rg: 6"): Summon a Murder of Crows in base contact with target corpse marker within 6", then discard the Corpse Marker.

:crow:mask "FLYYYYY!!!" Take this action again at -2 CA. This action may not declare triggers. 

(0) Medicinal Herbs (Ca 6 / Tn: 14:ram / Rg 6") Target  Model Heals 1/2/3

:tome Miraculous Recovery The target ends it's Poison Condition and heals additional wounds equal to the value of it's Poison condition, to a maximum of +3. 

(0) A mess of Feathers and Blood (Ca 6 / Tn: 12 / Rst DF / Rg 6") Target Living Model suffers 1 damage for every Murder of Crows within 6" and LOS

:crow...And Flesh: After Damaging place a corpse counter in base contact with the target. 

Nostradamus the Meek comes to the table as an Neverborn take on Poison. He boasts Induction which gives him great synergy with models that apply poison (Wicked Dolls and Lelu, for example) but is far better at carefully maneuvering the battlefield picking up the remains of the fallen and providing support and damage through his Murder of Crows.

Nostradamus' upgrade, One-Thousand Quatrains, gives him Instinctual which allows him to use two different zeros in the same turn greatly increasing his versatility. 

Upgrade: One-Thousand Quatrains

Cost: 2

Restriction: Nostradamus the Meek

Effect: This model gains the following Ability: Instinctual

Murder of Crows (50mm)

Neverborn

Cost 

(Peon, Rare 3

SWARM

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Flight

Evasive:

—Attack Actions—

(1) Flurry of Feathers and Talons  (Ml 4 / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 1/1/2 damage.

:crow A piece for later: After Succeeding place a corpse marker in base contact with the target. 

:crow Infect

—Tactical Actions—

(0) Feast on the fallen (Ca 5 / TN 10 / Rg 3"): Discard a scheme marker or corpse marker within 3". This model gains :+fate to attack and damage flips until the end of the turn.

(All credit to @Mike Wallacefor the template and template related tips - check out his Malifaux homebrew!)

• Like 1

EDWARD, PERSONAL PHYSICIAN TO LUCIUS MATHESON

During his travels to London, Lucius happened to meet a gifted yet troubled physician and chemist named Henry. Intrigued by his studies of man's evil nature, Lucius became a generous patron, delivering all manner of substances from around the Earth and Malifaux beyond at great expense. But as Henry's research continued, it gave rise to rumors of a sinister figure lurking in his lab at night, or stalking the streets to engage in depravity and murder. With the authorities closing in, Lucius decided to move Henry to Malifaux as his "personal physician," setting him up in a new lab that was more prison than work space. 

Now "Henry" is but an afterthought, a cowering and nerve-addled wretch of a man utterly dependent on the rare substances Lucius delivers. When Lucius heads into the Neverborn-haunted quarantine zones of Malifaux, he is instead accompanied by the leering and sadistic "Edward." Edward apes Lucius' regal attire, but is barely capable of containing his lust for blood and violence. With a gesture Lucius unleashes him on a victim, then sits back and quietly revels in the rewards of a shrewd investment.

Edward is a Neverborn Henchman inspired by The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and is designed to compliment Lucius in particular, making him a good pick for Lucius' Neverborn Crew. He's a devoted Melee monster, able to deal out plenty of damage and bog down the enemy, but will be dependent on the buffs granted to him by Lucius and other friendly Mimic models to keep him alive in the long-term.

EDWARD

Neverborn

Cache/Cost

Henchman, Living, Rare 1

3/9

MIMIC

DF

WP

WD

WK

CG

HT

—Abilities—

Get Back Here: Disengaging Strikes from this model deal 2 damage upon success. If the target is Slowed, increase the damage to 3 which cannot be reduced.

The Evil Men Do: Whenever this model kills an enemy, other enemy living models within :pulse3 and LoS must pass a TN 13 Wp Duel or become Slowed. Models that succeed this Duel do not need to Flip again for the rest of the game.

Henry is Still Inside: Whenever this model fails a Wp Duel, the opposing player may push it up to 3” in any direction. The controlling player may negate this movement by removing this model’s Focused Condition, if any.

Trample: At the end of this model’s Activation, any enemy models in base contact that have the Slowed or Paralyzed Condition suffer 2 damage.

—Attack Actions—

(1) Iron-Capped Cane (Ml 6:mask / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage.

:mask Kneecapped: After damaging, target is Slowed.

:ram Shove: After damaging, push the target up to 3”.

(1) Have a Taste (Ca 5:mask / TN: 10:mask:mask / Rst: Wp / Rg: 8): Target gains the following Condition until the end of its next Activation: The Formula: This model cannot perform Defensive Stance or Focus Actions, and Interact Actions are (2) Actions. If this model Activates within :aura8 and LoS of an enemy model, it must declare a Charge or immediately end its Activation.

—Tactical Actions—

(0) Top Myself Off: This model discards a single card to immediately gain the Focused +1 Condition.

(1) More Monster Than Man: Destroy all corpse markers within :pulse1. This model’s next Wp flip receives :+fate for every marker destroyed, to a maximum of :+fate:+fate.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Snake Oil Salesman. It's an icon of Old West and Victorian fiction and history I don't think Wyrd has covered yet as a miniature in Malifaux. We've got opium dens covered by Lynch, so I could see it as a solid hench for the Darkened, and would work well thematically with Lynch, Lucius, Graves, Tannen, and maybe also Pandora.

The real life person to look at would be Clark Stanley, so let's call him Professor Stanley Clark.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/26/215761377/a-history-of-snake-oil-salesmen

Attributes should be Darkened and Mimic (to link him thematically with Tannen, Graves, and Lynch) and he should have the Lynch ability that makes him immune to brilliance. Not inconspicuous, but I could see him as disguised, since any Snake Oil Salesman should be able to stop someone from charging him. Maybe also a DF/WP trigger like squeal would be appropriate instead/also. Don't make him durable so much as slippery!

You'd want synergies with Lynch, and probably also Pandora ("I thought I was cured!") and Lucius, and Tannen. My thought is "A cure for what ails you..." that removes all conditions from a model, and then does X damage for each condition removed. Dump brilliance, slow, and poison onto a model; then remove the conditions to do six damage. Also a 0 action that works like Lure against enemy models called "Gather around good people!" that makes them walk towards him, but has a much shorter range.

So the idea is that you have this guy activate later in the turn after your other models have dumped conditions onto enemy models, and he walks, does "Gather around good people!" and then "purges" one of them with 'A cure for what ails ya.'

The model is obvious. Smarmy looking man in top hat with either salesman's case of bottles, or holding open coat with bottles inside.

Google Image Search has abundant examples: https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&q=snake+oil+salesman

I suppose you could even make him a performer, so he'd work with Collette crews.

• Like 1

ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR YOU

Pyrrha - In mythology, this is the daughter of Pandora, and her myth is what the Christian Noah's Ark myth is based on. There's no much to go on in the myth beyond that, other than she was able to create people by throwing rocks on the ground. So maybe a variation of Nephilim grow type Hench can be made of her?

Abyzou - Ran into this one farting around in wikipedia as a myth related to Lilith. Abyzou was blamed for miscarriages and infant mortality and was said to be motivated by envy as she herself was infertile. So instead of something that helps you grow your Nephilim, she sacks friendly Ht 1 models to gain you some beneficial effect.

Brilliance Smuggler - If Lynch is based on the Opium trading of our world, then a dual faction 10T or Guild smuggler working with Lynch and Lucius to cripple their foes with addictive drugs could be a thing. In fact, there's a whole bunch of ideas there. 10T Dual brilliance addict/martial artist, street dealer, etc...

Queen Marie - There's so much good mythology with voodoo that Mama Z can lay claim to. For a hench the idea that springs to my mind is something based on the Voodoo Queens of New Orleans. A woman named Marie who made a deal with Mama Z to learn her secrets so she can bend men to her will, and has of course come to regret it.

Mister Jolly and Miles - Base the model and themes from Scarface in the Batman cartoons. A ventriloquist controlled by his puppet, and linked thematically with Collodi of course. I have no idea what you'd do for rules, but the model and themes would be creepy and weird, which is all that matters.

----

COMMENTS ON EARLIER POSTS IN THREAD

Any reference to circus entertainers with baggy pants, large shoes, and red noses gets transformed into 'penguins', because they probably don't want us calling each other c-l-o-w-n-s.

If this is to be a Henchman, a generic name like you've given won't work! It should be something like: Mister Happy, Sister Trudy, Strange Harold, Simple Clyde, etc... You CAN'T have it be a mimic! Lucius is a serious man doing a serious job! Here's my thoughts:

Mister Happy Odd Socks           Rare1, Living               Nightmare, Woe

DF:4, WP:6, WD:8, WK:4, CG:6, HT:2

FRONT OF CARD: Terrifying 12, Expose Fears (like Pandora), Disguised, Frighten the Children: All Ht:1 models within 6" take negative flip to WP duels.

BACK OF CARD:

Entertaining Tricks: A low damage track attack with a trigger on every suit, and you MUST use a trigger. There's an infinity of ideas for triggers, the challenge is reducing the list to just four of them.

Incite: As Pandora but not as good a CA as her.

So what brings you to these parts (add chatty condition to prevent interacts like Phillip and Tannen)

Right behind you... (just like Nurse Heartsbane, shudder....)

So you get a creepy model with good Pandora combos to act as a control piece after your Candy model snaps off at the ankles.

------

Sphinx: Cool idea. Should be a beast so Marcus can play with it, and there are certainly some fun thematic ideas there like something to lock down enemy models (none shall pass) and maybe do some shenanigans with WP duels to reflect the riddle. Since it'd be NB, probably a card draw type effect.

------

Jack the Ripper and Doctor Jekyl/Mister Hyde: That's been covered by Seamus. Look at his Avatar and his general themes in addition to the mad hatter. I suppose he and Molly were themed to be the Mad Hatter and Alice originally, but he's swallowed a few other character themes over the years.

Fiddler - Isn't that Hamelin?

Nostradomus - Isn't that already thematically covered by Aionus?

Dracula Nosferatu - I'd rather see that as a Resser model. Makes more sense for him to have zombies and canine remains.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-03-05 at 11:04 AM, Kaiser Senpai said:

Hello! I need some community feedback for my next podcast episode.

We do a segment where we come up with ideas for new models with restrictions placed on ourselves by other hosts. We also come up with a restriction for the community to build a model around. The plan is to eventually do a model for each station and faction combination in the game.

We first did an Arcanist Peon, then a 10 Thunders minion, and lastly a Resurrectionist Master. Now the Dice have declared we create a Neverborn henchman.

Since Neverborn like their mythological creatures we came up with the community restriction that we wanted to see something 'real'. We want to see what you can come up with when the model has to be based on something from real life. This DOESN'T have to be a 1-1 representation of someone or something (Alistair Crowley as a Nephilim-worshipping cultist, for example), and we'll allow things that fall under 'Cryptozoology' if you want.

You can spend however much time and effort you want on it. You don't need a full stat card or anything but thoughtful and clever ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

I've got something for our (really late but possibly still valid). For a Neverborn henchman, how about something inspired by Edgar Poe? We could call him "The Morbid Poet". His abilities would likely include spreading misery and sorrow to nearby models while a raven in his control would attack things for him. This would thematically suit Pandora rather well. How this would manifest could perhaps be the following ability.

Miserable Aura: Enemy models within :aura6 suffer a -2 penalty to all WP duels and gains the tormented characteristic. 

If The Morbid Poet was a mercenary model, this theme could also pair well with Jack Daw.

And don't even get me started on Lovecraft...

• Like 1