PeaceKeeper or Rail golem for Hoffman

ApolloCriid

On 19.08.2016 at 11:37 AM, ApolloCriid said:

That's awesome! Although difficult for the child too pull off. That said, loop in a metal gamin with a cast of 8 which would help Hoffman to a mighty CA 10. So power loop shouldn't be a problem for him too pull off.

Many players consider the gamin to be a trap. Hoff can have easily Ca8, so he needs usually a 4 or 6 to pull most of his spells off. The 1 AP to loop additional model is usually not worth it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, trikk said:

Many players consider the gamin to be a trap. Hoff can have easily Ca8, so he needs usually a 4 or 6 to pull most of his spells off. The 1 AP to loop additional model is usually not worth it.

It becomes a little less worthless if you also have Rail Golem. That potentially gives you more cards to fuel the locomotion. That doesn't mean that you should be looping the gamin every turn though...

51 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

Don´t forget that if you are just taking the gamin for the cast 8, you can use it to grant hoffman fast by getting slow.

Generally the mobile toolkit falls on that sword.  Sometimes the Attendant, but if I'm taking the Gamin I'm generally not taking the attendant for exactly that reason.

+1 for Gamin getting the 'slow' role under OSA.

My usual Arcane Assist targets are Metal Gamin, Mobile Tool Kit, and then Double Soulstone Miners.  That's usually my crew with Ryle and Brutal Emissary. (and some other upgrades and stuff)

I love Soulstone miners as soon as things get schemy.  Saying that, Wardens and Hunters are properly legit.  My main thinking process is which one of those three I am bring along these days, but my 'comfort zone' is defo Miners.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/15/2016 at 2:17 AM, ApolloCriid said:

Hey all! Just acquired Hoffman in all his metallic goodness.

Me too!!!  :-)

Just found this thread because I was confused about whether or not the Rail Golem actually was M&SU, but this thread has answered that one for me.  Got a Peacekeeper in the metal lot along with Hoffman (plus 2 Watchers, a Warden, a Guardian, a Hunter, a Mechanical Attendant and Ryle), so I'm probably set for his crew at the moment, although I'm keen on putting in the Mobile Toolkit.  Sounds from the chatter above that a Malifaux Child and a Metal Gamin bear consideration also though.  BTW - does the Metal Gamin losing "Hard to Kill" dampen people's enthusiasm for them a little more?

So, how about an actual question for you good peeps?:

- Does taking the Peacekeeper kind of offset the Watcher for anybody? They're both Sh 6, so in terms of the Power Loop they kind of offset one-another, but I realise that the Watcher brings cover-negation and scheme running on the flanks. But the Peacekeeper is a fair chunk of points if you're also looking at keeping in a Watcher...

I imagine it depends on the S&S, of course, but I'm already liking the Peacekeeper's potential with Hydraulics to Nimble up and blast away enemy Scheme Markers.

On 8/19/2016 at 8:35 PM, Durza said:

Is hard to get off though, you need i think an 11 of tomes for the first cast and another 11 for the second. But it is powerful if you get it off. 

So the Malifaux Child won't get the bonus +2 Ca that Hoffman's getting from having a couple of Constructs within :aura4?  

12 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

So, how about an actual question for you good peeps?:

- Does taking the Peacekeeper kind of offset the Watcher for anybody? They're both Sh 6, so in terms of the Power Loop they kind of offset one-another, but I realise that the Watcher brings cover-negation and scheme running on the flanks. But the Peacekeeper is a fair chunk of points if you're also looking at keeping in a Watcher...

2 completely different roles for me.   A watcher runs schemes or makes them use a much more expensive model to stop that scheme. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

So the Malifaux Child won't get the bonus +2 Ca that Hoffman's getting from having a couple of Constructs within :aura4?  

That's how I've always played it, I think that has come up before with Sonnias Ca bonus and the child but I don't remember what the consensus was on that. 

2 hours ago, Surrealistik said:

Doesn't 'printed' mean default Ca values pre-bonuses/penalties?

Well, this is the whole text of the ability, from the erratum card:

(1) Just Like You!: This Action may be taken once per Turn. Take one of this Crew's Leader's Ca Actions with an AP cost of 1 that does not list a model by name. This Action suffers -3 Ca. This Action receives a :+fate and any resulting damage flip receives a :-fate.

So it doesn't actually say "printed", but I take your meaning, and i think you're both right - after all, this kind of ability doesn't usually allow bonuses etc to carry over.

5 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Visavi bonuses: Those abilities apply to Sonnia and Hoffman and modifies their totals, not the actions on their card. The child does not have any abilities granting it + to it's Ca stat. It takes the action with the printed stat and then reduces that by three.

Hoffman's actually says he gets +1 Ca. That seems like a stat modifier than a duel modifier. 

Child imo really needs an errata that Just Like You is based on the printed stat and not modified stats.