PeaceKeeper or Rail golem for Hoffman

ApolloCriid

I got the peacekeeper first, still don't have the rail golem, and haven't regretted it. The peacekeeper is the tank. You put it somewhere, add some more armor, heal it up with scrap, and it will not be removed. The rail golem does not look like any sort of tank. Yes the rail golem hits things very hard and very often, but so does Ryle that you already have.

12 hours ago, ApolloCriid said:

Although the rail golem looks awesome ?

Be aware that it's from Wyrd's early wave of plastics (released during 1.5) and the details are not very sharp when compared to more recent stuff. Though it still looks good from a distance if you only care about table top presence.

Just be aware that Hoffan's ability to use Arcanist constructs is part of a devious reverse infiltration plot by the Arcanists and Ten Thunders.

Because one day you're going to think "Howard Langston, Joss, and the Steam Arachnids are nice M&SU constructs, I should give them a try some time." Then the next thing you know you're buying the Rail Crew box and starting a third faction.  :P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, solkan said:

Just be aware that Hoffman's ability to use Arcanist constructs is part of a devious reverse infiltration plot by the Arcanists and Ten Thunders.

Because one day you're going to think "Howard Langston, Joss, and the Steam Arachnids are nice M&SU constructs, I should give them a try some time." Then the next thing you know you're buying the Rail Crew box and starting a third faction.  :P

And then you try running them without power loop and realize shoddy Arcanist build quality and slipshod maintenance means most of them can't hit the broad side of a barn without the performance optimization thereof! :P

(Yes, I did play Ramos. Once. Know your enemy, and all that. Definitely did not have the complexity I crave.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

Stay loyal! Between the Peacekeeper, Brutal Emissary, and Ryle we've got plenty of good constructs in faction that will serve just fine and also be usable outside Hoffman's crew. Don't give in to the terrorists and subversives!

Wait! What! The Brutal Emmisary is a construct? I am so happy now =D

1 minute ago, ApolloCriid said:

Wait! What! The Brutal Emmisary is a construct? I am so happy now =D

With his Hoffman specific conflux, he becomes a construct and is a fantastic choice. I'm currently brainstorming Hoffman lists lately because he's the next master I want to pick up.

To put aside my Guild jingo-ism though, Arcanist Assets do have a lot of nice utility models outside Metal Gamin/Joss/Howard/Rail Golem/Spiders. Mobile Toolkit is supposed to be good, and personally I know I'm going to try and use a soulstone miner because I love their ability to pop up somewhere unexpected.

I can't describe how happy I am =D 

Already ordered the Emmisary to use with Sonnia, now I know he's good to go with Hoffman. 

I'm with you on the Arcane Asset front, I think the small utility models like gamin and toolkit are going to give us a few more options. Plus it's never a bad idea to have some other faction model's.

Mobile Toolkit is wonderful. If you have Arcanist Assets and do not have a toolkit I would argue that you have done something wrong. You can pass up the metal gamin if you expect to keep your cards in hand, you can pass up arachnid swarms if your opponent likes to strip suits from actions (they're still hard-hitting without the tome, but not going to make you so giddy you need a fresh pair of pants), you can even pass up Howard Langston if your plans involve other beatsticks, but the toolkit can do everything except score points directly! Do you know how much the rest of Guild pays for a positive damage flip buff?

• Like 5

Remember, power loop is great, but the magic number is 3, otherwise your're chewing Hoffman AP which is better spent upgrading, healing or telling the peacekeeper to punch things.

Hoff + Ryle (or Joss) + Peacekeeper + Emissary gives you the 6s across the board that you need. It also makes the ball a decent ranged hitter as well. Factor in HT3 across the front and nobody gets to see Hoffman.  

13 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

The magic number might also be 5 if you bank on the child and a couple of the right cards turn 1 ;) 

*a distinct, although quiet, 'do I have to?' from the Malifaux Child*

I wouldn't dare bank on as many as five. Child needs the suit as well as the number. Four, maybe, at the cost of an unsuited high card.

The Child's interesting but unreliable with Hoffman, not a necessary buy at all. I just wanted one. That she (or he) never checks for range means he (or she) can overcome the biggest problem with Hoffman lists, the tiny control bubble. If there's a construct that must stay far from the others, the child can babysit it. That requires very high cards, though, that were probably better spent attacking or defending. I didn't consciously choose it, but have moved to activating the child late in the turn to judge the field and see whether I must accomplish what I set out to copy (and cheat in the card) or just flip it and accept the action as a bonus if it works. Mine spends most of her time puppeting constructs to walk into better positions, or reattaching targeting systems.

• Like 2